Keto Pizza with Fathead Dough is a mouthwatering recipe that resembles very much to the real thing but has way fewer carbs. The low carb fathead dough is chewy and delicious. If you haven’t made this low carb pizza with fathead dough, grab all the ingredients and dig in. You won’t regret it!
This delicious keto pizza is perfect if you are missing pizza since starting a ketogenic diet. It will totally hit the spot and help you stay in ketosis because one slice has only 3g carbs.
You can watch the video below to see how easy it to make a homemade keto pizza:
- What is Fathead Pizza?
- Why You’ll Love This Keto Pizza Recipe
- Ingredients for Keto Pizza Crust
- How to Make Keto Pizza?
- Keto Pizza Toppings
- Carbs in Fathead Dough
- Can I Make Fathead Dough with Coconut Flour?
- What to do if Fathead Pizza Dough is too sticky?
- How Long to Bake Fathead Pizza Crust?
- Other Keto Recipes You Might Like
- The Best Keto Pizza with Keto Fathead Dough Crust
What is Fathead Pizza?
Fathead Pizza is a top-rated recipe among the keto community. This keto low carb fathead crust is grain-free, wheat-free and tastes even better than regular pizza crust. The texture is similar, and I’m beyond thrilled to share how to make it with you.
It’s also called mozzarella dough and needs only 4 ingredients. The main ingredients are mozzarella, almond flour or coconut flour, cream cheese, and one egg.
Everyone is crazy about this keto pizza dough and for a good reason. It’s super easy to make, and I love the texture. It also browns beautifully in the oven. On top of that, fathead keto pizza crust is ready less than 15 minutes.
This mozzarella almond flour dough is a brilliant base for many keto recipes that need some sort of dough. You can make some delicious keto bagels or keto cinnamon rolls and they turn out unbelievably tasty and low in carbs.
Why You’ll Love This Keto Pizza Recipe
I love making fathead dough because it’s so versatile and you’ll be surprised to see that the main ingredient is mozzarella.
- It’s Gluten-free and Grain-Free.
- It tastes like real pizza even though it’s super low in carbs.
- It’s filling and nutritious.
I prefer it over the traditional pizza and my family eats it with pleasure.
Ingredients for Keto Pizza Crust
The ingredients might seem a little strange, but the keto pizza crust turns out delicious. It’s chewy and if properly baked it tastes similar to traditional pizza.
Here are the ingredients for one keto pizza
- mozzarella, shredded
- almond flour or coconut flour
- cream cheese
These four ingredients combined together make the perfect keto pizza dough.
How to Make Keto Pizza?
Once you master the art of making keto fathead dough, you’ll want to use it in so many recipes. So grab all the ingredients and start working on this masterpiece. Follow a few basic steps:
- Combine the mozzarella cheese, almond flour, and softened cream cheese in a microwave-safe bowl. Melt them in the microwave or use a double boiler.
- Add the beaten egg and form a uniform dough. Don’t be scared to use your hands.
- Roll out the dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 425F.
- It’s time to add the toppings. Here’s where you can get creative!
Keto Pizza Toppings
When it comes to low carb pizza toppings people are very picky. I love my pizza as in the pictures, with tomato sauce, mozzarella, pepperoni slices, and small bits of red pepper. Feel free to add:
- Low carb Vegetables: Mushrooms, Peppers, Spinach, Zucchini Slices, Peppers
- Extra cheese
Carbs in Fathead Dough
Given the fact that the ingredients are low in carbs including the almond flour, the nutrition for a serving of the dough (without any toppings, 1/6 of the whole recipe):
- Total Carbohydrate 5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5g
- Net carbs 3.5 g
- Calories 202.2 kcal
- Protein 11.3 g
- Fat 16.4 g
The serving size of this keto pizza is 2 slices, but sometimes I feel so full after the first one that I have to keep it for a snack or have it for dinner. The main benefit of making pizza with a mozzarella dough is that it’s very filling and satisfying.
Can I Make Fathead Dough with Coconut Flour?
Substituting almond flour with coconut flour is possible. If you want to make the pizza with a low carb coconut flour fathead dough, you’ll have to add an extra egg and use 1/3 cup coconut flour instead of the almond flour.
I love that no matter what kind of nut flour you are using the taste is similar.
When making fathead pizza with coconut flour, each serving has about 115 calories, 4g carbs from which 2g are fiber, so only 2g net carbs. Just the nutrition facts slightly change.
What to do if Fathead Pizza Dough is too sticky?
This often happens if the eggs are a bit larger or if the almond flour is not finely grounded. There are a few tricks to help you deal with sticky pizza crust:
- If the dough looks watery add an extra tablespoon of almond flour and try kneading the dough. Add more if necessary.
- To keep the dough from sticking to your hands, grease your hands with some olive oil.
- To make the dough easy to work with, chill the dough in the fridge for 5-10 minutes.
- You can reheat the dough if the cheese hardens quickly to make it easier to knead.
How Long to Bake Fathead Pizza Crust?
Depending on how thin you roll the keto crust, the baking time may vary, and you should always keep an eye on it. Poke the bubbles (if any). The keto pizza crust bakes way faster than the regular one. It is usually ready for adding toppings after about 7-10 minutes.
Other Keto Recipes You Might Like
- Zero Carb Chicken Pizza Crust – Keto & Low-Carb
- 10-minute Portobello Keto Pizza – Low Carb Mushroom Crust
- Pizza Stuffed Chicken
The Best Keto Pizza with Keto Fathead Dough Crust
For the keto pizza crust
- 1 ½ cups mozzarella shredded, part skim
- ¾ cup almond flour
- 2 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tsp oregano optional
For the toppings
- ¼ cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 12 slices pepperoni
- 3 tbsp tomato sauce
- ¼ chopped red pepper
- 1 tsp oregano to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425F (220C).
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl combine the mozzarella cheese, almond flour, and cream cheese.
- Microwave on high for 90 seconds, and stir the ingredients halfway to make sure all the ingredients are well incorporated as the cheese is melting.
- Using a spatula stir in the beaten egg.
- Use your hands, preferably oiled to knead the dough into a ball, for about 2 minutes.
- Spread the dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper using a rolling pin and an additional piece of parchment paper on top if needed.
- Roll until the dough is 1/4” thick. Using a fork, poke holes to prevent bubbles from forming.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes or until the pizza crust is golden.
- Spread the tomato sauce over the crust, sprinkle the cheese, top with pepperoni slices and add some chopped red pepper.
- Bake for another 4-5 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Enjoy!
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes:
I have no other keto/low carb pizza crust experience…but, this was great and hit the spot after not having any pizza for several weeks. It's filling and satisfying…although not like having a slice of your fav pizza from your fav pizza joint, but this is satisfying. My dough was a bit sticky and hard to deal with, but I managed to get it formed to a pizza crust. Thanks for the recipe!
Made this tonight and it was very filling and satisfying.
This was so good !!! I used seasoning like garlic and parsley for the dough and it was so delicious . Thank you !
I have celiac so I love the idea of having a pizza taste real.
First time to make keto pizza. Very tasty, hubby rated it 5 out of 5. Used the parchment paper which worked great. Thanks for the recipe and instructions
Thank you, Denise! I’m so happy you both enjoyed my keto pizza recipe.
I made tHis and loved it.
It put me in mind of eating a wheat tortilla. I will definitely be making this again.
I warmed it up (oven) today for lunch and it was just as good
The only problem I had is that the crust stuck to the paper, next time I think i’ll just do the first baking on the paper then take it off right before i put the toppings on. But otherwise it was awesome! It really does taste like regular crust, my picky husband ate it no problem! I felt like I was cheating, but I wasn’t! Whoot Whoot!! Thanks for the super great recipe! I just wonder what else I can make with it??
Hello…I have made Fathead pizza dough a couple of times now and, even after spraying my pan, have found that it sticks terribly. It appears that you bake your crust on parchment paper. Do you spray the paper? I see another reader commented that their dough stuck to the parchment paper. What are your recommendations? Thanks!
Mine never got stick to the parchment paper. You can spray the parchment paper just to be sure it will not stick.
Mine didn’t stick either. Did you put oil on your hands to make it a ball? I used avocado oil.
This was delicious
Quick question. Can the crust be pre-made for later use?
Yes. You can pre-bake it and store it in the refrigerator.
This was easy to put together and it totally solved my pizza craving. My husband even said it was good.
Awesome! I’m a huge pizza lover and since going Keto I was hoping pizza wouldn’t be gone from my life forever. What a pleasant surprise! I had 2 slices and was totally satisfied! I made my 8 year old daughter try a bite and even she gave it an emphatic thumbs up and had a slice of her own–and she’s a picky eater! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Extremely good! I was shocked! First time making Keto pizza and I’m in love! So simple and easy to make and it tastes delicious! My husband and our toddler loved it!
Seriously amazing. I messed up by putting the toppings on and then baking it lol but it was still really good! We’re big pizza eaters so I was surprised when the kids and hubby were loving it.
What is the serving size for this recipe?? Would love to make it tomorrow!!
The macros are calculated for 1/6 of the entire pizza.
Tastes great! I absolutely love this recipe! It hits the pizza spot and tastes like regular pizza. Sooo yummy!
Can’t wait to make it
Let me know how it turns out!
The recipe is delicious (although I recommend going heavy on the pepperoni). You can tell the texture is different (crust breaks easily) but tastes like a normal pizza! I made these in a heart shape for a socially distant and Covid safe indoors Valentine’s date with my girlfriend. SUPER FILLING!! (Be careful not to overeat) but tasty!
The best keto dough, ever!!!! Thank you very much !!!!