Flaxseed bread is a delicious replacement for bread that’s very low in carbs and high in dietary fiber. It is soft, great toasted in butter, and freezes well. It has no eggy taste, and it’s suitable for both the keto diet and paleo diet because it’s gluten-free and dairy-free.
Missing bread on a keto diet? Don’t worry we’ve got you covered. I pretty much sure you’ll love this flaxseed bread, but you can check my other keto bread recipes because I’ve tested a few and shared the ones I loved the most.
What is Flaxseed Bread?
Flaxseed bread is a low-carb bread replacement made with flaxseed meal instead of wheat flour, eggs, and avocado oil instead of the unhealthy fats (margarine).
Ingredients for Flaxseed Bread
To make this recipe you’ll need only seven ingredients that are pretty cheap and easy to find.
- Flaxseed meal – You can grind your own flax. It doesn’t have to be a super fine powder. A roughly Ground flax makes this recipe better. Use a cheap spice or coffee grinder. Flax seeds have a strong nutty flavor and give a nice whole grain taste to the bread.
- Eggs – Use large eggs at room temperature. Don’t skip this step because it reduces the eggy taste.
- Oil – I used avocado oil because I want to this bread to be dairy-free. I also love the taste of the flax bread with light olive oil or unsalted butter.
- Water – This will help activate the flax seeds and will prevent the keto bread from becoming too dry in the baking process.
- Spices & Salt – This is the part where you can become creative and add any of your favorite spices. I used dried oregano but you can use Italian seasoning and sprinkle with chili pepper flakes. Yum! That what I’m doing in my next batch.
The instructions are fairly simple. Just mix the dry and the wet ingredients together and bake them in the preheated oven. Below, in the recipe card, you’ll find more detailed instructions.
If you make the recipe I would be delighted to see how your flaxseed bread turned out!
It’s perfect for sandwiches too. Here’s my favorite one with chicken, avocado, and cream cheese.
Frequently asked questions
Is flaxseed bread dairy-free (paleo)?
Yes, it is because I use avocado oil. You can use light (in taste) olive oil and get the same result.
How many carbs are in the low-carb flaxseed bread?
This keto bread has a total 9g of carbs, but only 1g NET carbs.
To find out the NET carbs just subtract the fiber grams from the total carb count.
This recipe is great to boost the dietary fiber intake because it has 8 grams of fiber in a single serving.
How many servings are in this keto bread recipe?
The recipe yields 10 servings. One serving is a 1/10 square flaxseed bread.
Keto Flaxseed Bread – 1g Carb Gluten-Free Focaccia
- 2 cups flaxseed meal
- 5 eggs
- 1/3 cup avocado oil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp pink salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder gluten-free
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a 13×9 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl: flaxseed meal, baking powder, oregano, and salt. Set aside.
- In a blender blend the eggs with the oil for 30 seconds, until frothy.
- Incorporate the egg mixture with the dry ingredients using a spatula. Add the water and mix well. Let it sit for about 5 minutes.
- Bake the flaxseed bread for about 20 minutes or until the top is firm and golden. Remove the pan from the oven and let the bread cool down on a cooling rack.
- Cut the bread into 10 pieces and enjoy.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes:
What size pan are you using
I used a 15X9 inch pan
Great recipe! I added 2 tsp Physillium…egg wash with the everything bagel seasoning mix on top! Delish!
HiJody! Thank you so much for your kind comment. That's fantastic you liked the recipe. It makes me very happy!!
I tried making this, but when I mixed all the ingredients it was way too dry. Then I noticed you mentioned 1/2 cups of water in the recipe (altho it’s nowhere mentioned in the preparation), so added it at the end. Got a really slimy ball of dough that didn’t rise an inch.. Don’t know what I did wrong?
Your eggs were probably smaller. The dough should be liquidy before baking.
Hi there this may be a stupid question but I am just starting keto so I’m really diligent in tracking my macros are the nutritional facts for one slice?
Yes, the nutrition facts are for one serving. Keep up the good work.
This is nice, it came out really well. I am thankful for this.
That’s fantastic! I’m really happy you liked the recipe 🙂
LOVE the flaxseed fococcia! The texture is perfect for sandwiches. I bought 4” round silicone baking molds and they make perfect sandwich/burger buns! Amazing! Thank you!
That’s fantastic. I’m incredibly happy you liked the recipe!!
Hi, I am about to make the flaxseed bread, can I make 10 individual rolls instead of one whole bread? Thanks
I think you should use a muffin tin to make sure they don’t turn out flat like a pancake.
I added sunflower seeds on top… delicious
This was our first taste of bread since going low carb. Thank you for an awesome recipe!
My dear hubby was most delighted. We topped with butter and home made chia strawberry jam. In heaven x