Flaxseed bread is a delicious replacement for bread that’s very low in carbs and high in dietary fiber. It is soft, great toasted in butter and freezes well. It has no eggy taste, and it’s suitable for both keto diet and paleo diet because it’s gluten-free and dairy-free.
Missing bread on a keto diet? Don’t worry we’ve got you covered. I pretty much sure you’ll love this flaxseed bread, but you can check my other keto bread recipes because I’ve tested a few and shared the ones I loved the most.
The low carb ingredients
To make this recipe you’ll need only seven ingredients that are pretty cheap and easy to find.
- Flaxseed meal – You can grind your own flax. It doesn’t have to be a super fine powder. A roughly Ground flax makes this recipe better. Use a cheap spice or coffee grinder. Flax seeds have a strong nutty flavor and give a nice whole grain taste to the bread.
- Eggs – Use large eggs at room temperature. Don’t skip this step because it reduces the risk of the bread to taste.
- Oil – I used avocado oil because I want to this bread to be dairy-free. I also love the taste of the flax bread with light olive oil.
- Water – This will help activate the flax seeds and will prevent the keto bread from becoming to dry in the baking process.
- Spices & Salt – This is the part where you can become creative and add any of your favorite spices. I used dried oregano but you can use Italian spice and sprinkle with chili pepper flakes. Yum! That what I’m doing in my next batch.
The instructions are fairly simple. Just mix the dry and the wet ingredients together and bake them in the preheated oven. Below, in the recipe card, you’ll find more detailed instructions.
If you make the recipe I would be delighted to see how your flaxseed bread turned out!
It’s perfect for sandwiches too. Here’s my favorite one with chicken, avocado and cream cheese.
Frequently asked questions
What is a flaxseed bread?
Flaxseed bread is a low-carb bread replacement made with flaxseed meal instead of wheat flour, eggs, and avocado oil instead of the unhealthy fats (margarine).
Is flaxseed bread dairy-free (paleo)?
Yes, it is because I use avocado oil. You can use light (in taste) olive oil and get the same result.
How many carbs are in the low-carb flaxseed bread?
This keto bread has a total 9g of carbs, but only 1g NET carbs.
To find out the NET carbs just subtract the fiber grams from the total carb count.
This recipe is great to boost the dietary fiber intake because it has 8 grams of fiber in a single serving.
How many servings are in this keto bread recipe?
The recipe yields 10 servings. One serving is a 1/10 square flaxseed bread.
Keto Flaxseed Bread – 1g Carb Gluten-Free Focaccia
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a 13×9 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl: flaxseed meal, baking powder, oregano, and salt. Set aside.
- In a blender blend the eggs with the oil for 30 seconds, until frothy.
- Incorporate the egg mixture with the dry ingredients using a spatula. Add the water and mix well. Let it sit for about 5 minutes.
- Bake the flaxseed bread for about 20 minutes or until the top is firm and golden. Remove the pan from the oven and let the bread cool down on a cooling rack.
- Cut the bread into 10 pieces and enjoy.