Following a keto diet and crave ice cream but don’t have time to make it at home? Thanks to some new ice cream brands on the market, you can totally enjoy low carb ice cream and still remain in ketosis.
What is Ice Cream? Well, for me, Ice Cream is my best friend. Even if it’s summer or not, I always crave some ice cream. Ice Cream will never leave you; even if you are happy or sad, it will be here for you in so many options.
Is Ice Cream Keto-Friendly?
Unfortunately, no. Traditional ice cream is not keto since it’s made mostly from cream and sugar with a whooping of 50 grams of carbs per serving.
Luckily, there are some fantastic options that will help you enjoy ice cream even if you follow a keto diet.
- Make homemade keto ice cream – You can make your ice cream in your kitchen by replacing some non-keto ingredients such as sugar with low carb sweeteners. You can choose your favorite ice cream recipe from over 18 delicious keto ice cream flavors.
- But there are also a few brands that you can easily buy and enjoy when cravings strike.
But What Makes Keto Ice Cream Keto?
As we all know, Ice Cream is made from milk, cream, and a lot of sugar, and that’s not keto! And now comes the question: How can ice cream be keto?
- First of all, it is made with sugar alternatives. Everyone knows that sugar is high carb, and it’s the enemy in a ketogenic diet. So keto ice cream is made using stevia, erythritol, monk fruit extract, or other low carb sweeteners.
- It is high in fiber – Keto ice cream usually contains added fiber insoluble corn fiber or chicory root fiber.
- Keto Ice Cream doesn’t use milk in large quantities. It still contains dairy, but you will see more water in ingredients, which is lower in carbs. Some brands will boost their ice cream with milk protein powder, which essentially has zero carbs.
Keto-Friendly Common Ice Cream Ingredients
- Heavy Cream – It makes the ice cream extra creamy!
- Coconut Cream – Coconut cream will produce more decadent dairy-free ice cream.
- Vanilla Extract – For me, vanilla extract has to be in any dessert because it’s my favorite flavor.
- Sweetener – Instead of using sugar as a sweetener, keto ice cream brands use zero-carb sweeteners instead. These won’t spike your blood sugar and keep you in ketosis.
These Are The Tastiest Low Carb Ice Creams You Can Buy Right Now From The Store
We made the job easier for you and created a list of our favorite keto ice cream brands. All you need to do is to read it and choose your favorite flavor. Oh.. and then grab a spoon and enjoy your keto ice cream.
- Rebel Creamery – The company also claims to have the lowest glycemic index ice cream on the market, using erythritol and monk fruit to sweeten their pints. You can find it at Walmart or Kroger, and it’s hands down the best keto ice cream on the market. It comes with tons of basics but also has a few interesting flavors.Nutrition: 180 calories, 16 grams fat, 17 grams carbs, <1 gram sugars | Net carbs: 2.3 grams per serving
- Halo Top Keto Ice Cream – To keep their carb count low, Halo Top’s keto ice cream contains ultrafiltered skim milk as a base. You can find tons of exciting flavors, but some of them have cornstarch or maltitol. Nutrition: 210 calories, 18 grams fat, 15 grams carbs, 2 grams sugars | Net carbs: 6 grams per serving
- Enlightened Keto Ice Cream – This brand just launched a keto collection with seven delicious flavors that are incredibly delicious. Nutrition: 200 calories, 18 grams fat, 11 grams carbs, 1 gram sugars | Net carbs: 1 gram per serving
- Keto Pint Ice Cream – Here is another great keto ice cream option that contains erythritol to lower the net carbs. Nutrition: 150 calories, 12 grams fat, 10 grams carbs, 2 grams sugars | Net carbs: 3 grams per serving
- Nick’s Swedish – Style Light Ice Cream – This is one of the most expensive brands of keto ice cream that uses a combination of erythritol, stevia, corn fiber, birch sugar, and allulose for sweetness. Nutrition: 90 calories, 6 grams fat, 0 grams sugars | Net carbs: 10 grams per serving
- Edy’s Slow Churned No Sugar Added – They are replacing sugar with sorbitol and sucralose. Nutrition: 90 calories, 3 grams fat, 1 gram sugars | Net carbs: 8 grams per serving
- So Delicious No Sugar Added (Dairy-Free) – They make ice cream from full-fat coconut milk and a mix from sugar alcohol erythritol and monk fruit extract. Nutrition: 100 calories, 3 grams fat, 1 gram protein | Net carbs: 4 grams per serving
- Simple Truth Keto – You can find this ice cream at Krogers. They developed their own keto-friendly ice cream that actually has a great flavor and just 7.5g net carbs.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: