These bacon wrapped asparagus bundles are baked in the oven. It’s the perfect appetizer or side dish that’s sure to impress at any party. This asparagus recipe has the ideal combination of salty, tender, and crispy in one bite. Plus, who doesn’t love a fun party recipe that’s ready in under 30 minutes with less than 10 minutes of prep?
Asparagus is such a great low carb vegetable as it’s loaded with nutrients, easy to cook, and super elegant. I make this recipe often when asparagus is in full season but still manage to make asparagus and bacon appetizers all the time.
This is one of my favorite asparagus and bacon recipes, as the asparagus is tender, and the bacon gets super crispy in the oven. I’m sure you’ll love it even if you’re not an asparagus lover. My guests always ask for the recipe when I serve them this delicious asparagus with bacon, and they are always super impressed.
I have a few tips on how to make the bacon super crispy in the oven without getting soggy.
Why is Bacon Asparagus The Best?
- Keto-friendly – this recipe uses only low carb ingredients that are approved on a ketogenic diet, so it’s perfect if you are trying to lower the carb intake.
- Easy to make – it needs just 10 minutes (if not even less!) to prep these beautiful asparagus bundles and pop them in the oven.
Ingredients for the Best Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- Bacon – I use center cut or thin cut bacon because thicker bacon slices take a long time to cook.
- Asparagus – Chose asparagus stalks that are bright green and slightly thick. Thinner spears get mushy before the bacon starts to crisp up.
- Olive Oil – I use the oil to help the seasoning distribute evenly and help the asparagus cook faster.
- Salt and Pepper – Just these two basic seasonings are needed for this easy asparagus recipe. Sprinkle plenty of black pepper as it makes the bacon super flavorful. Salt is optional and you can use it only if you like salty meals.
How to Make Oven Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
There are a few methods to make this delicious asparagus side dish, but here’s the easiest one:
- Trim off the woody ends of the asparagus spear by using a knife or simply snap the asparagus.
- Place the asparagus on a baking sheet and generously season with pepper. Salt may not be necessary, depending on the kind of bacon you’re using.
- Get enough asparagus to make eight bundles. You’ll need 24 asparagus spears because we need 3 for each.
- Wrap the asparagus in bacon from the bottom to the top. Make sure that the edges of the bacon overlap a little.
- Bake the bacon wrapped asparagus in the preheated oven at 400F for 25-30 minutes. Cooking time can vary depending on the thickness of your bacon or asparagus spears.
Ways to Cook Wrapped Asparagus
This asparagus recipe can be cooked in various ways:
- In the oven – this is my favorite method; I described how to cook bacon asparagus in detail above or in the recipe card below.
- On the grill – prepare the asparagus bundles and store them until ready to grill. Secure the end of each strip of bacon with a toothpick to help it stay in place. Grill them for 12-15 minutes or medium heat, turning on all sides.
- On the stove – get a large skillet or cast iron grill and place on medium-high heat. Drizzle with olive oil and place the bundles. Cook for a few minutes on each side until the asparagus is fork-tender and bacon crisp.
- in an Airfryer – to make air fryer bacon wrapped asparagus, set the temperature to 390 and air fry for 10 minutes.
How to Serve
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus is delicious as a side dish or as a party appetizer. Transfer the bundles to a platter and enjoy. In my humble opinion, this side dish can be devoured as a main meal with a side salad. It’s so good and the options on how to serve it are endless.
Make Ahead Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
This is a versatile asparagus recipe that can be made in advance.
- In the refrigerator – Make these appetizers a day in advance, and refrigerate for up to 3 days. To reheat, place the leftovers on a baking sheet and reheat at 375F until hot.
- In the freezer – unfortunately, you can’t freeze bacon wrapped asparagus as they tend to get mushy and lose that delicious crisp.
Looking for More Asparagus Recipes? Try these:
- Best Creamy Asparagus Soup
- The Best Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Best Garlic Butter Sirloin Steak with Pan-Fried Asparagus
Crispy Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- Air Fryer
- 24 stalks Asparagus ~1 pound, ends trimmed
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 8 strips center-cut bacon
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C and grease and place the asparagus spears.
- Drizzle with olive oil and generously sprinkle with pepper. Use your hands and toss well to coat.
- Get 2-3 asparagus spears and wrap them tightly with a piece of bacon. Overlap the starting end to secure it. Place season side down on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the baking is crispy and the asparagus is fork-tender. You can broil for 1-2 minutes for extra crispiness.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: