This creamy and bright asparagus soup is a classic French recipe perfect for the whole family. Enjoy a silky, rich, and delicious asparagus soup that’s ready in 20 minutes.
Springtime calls for fresh and bright asparagus. Now it’s time for this pot of silky and comforting asparagus soup. Perfect for serving hot or cold, it’s loaded with flavor.
Soups are always a big hit in our house, and this creamy asparagus soup is no exception. It’s loaded with vegetables, light, and super nutritious.
Watch this step by step video to see exactly how to make the best creamy asparagus soup in less than 20 minutes:
Ingredients in Creamy Asparagus Soup
Cream of asparagus soup is prepared with fresh asparagus, sauteed onions and garlic, heavy cream, and stock as the main ingredients.
- butter – Everything is better with butter. You can use either salted or unsalted butter because we only season the soup in the end.
- garlic cloves
- vegetable or chicken broth
- lemon juice
- heavy cream – While this soup is great without heavy cream, it adds that silky and creamy taste that pairs perfectly with the fresh asparagus.
- Salt and pepper – I recommend taste testing the soup and adjusting the seasonings.
For a light asparagus soup with fewer calories, completely skip the cream or replace it with canned coconut cream.
How to Make the Best Asparagus Soup?
It’s incredibly easy to make this creamy soup with asparagus if you just follow a few steps:
- In a large pot, melt the butter on medium heat. Once the butter is melted, saute the onion and garlic to release their natural flavors set aside.
- Chop the asparagus spears into 1-inch-long pieces and add them to the pot.
- Pour in the broth and season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes or until the asparagus is tender.
- Puree the soup using an immersion blender, mix in cream, shredded parmesan, and freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- To serve, garnish with fresh herbs, cream, and more parmesan.
Can I Make Asparagus Soup without Cream?
Yes, this soup is super creamy without adding cream. While cream gives this soup a velvety texture, it definitely tastes delicious without it.
Is Asparagus Keto?
Yes, Asparagus is one of the best vegetables to eat on a keto diet. According to the USDA website, 1 cup (134g) of asparagus provides only 5.2g of carbs with 2.81 fiber. So, it has only 3g net carbs. It’s also an excellent source of vitamins A, C, E, K, and B6.
How To Store Cream of Asparagus?
This creamy soup with asparagus contains cream, and it doesn’t freeze well. So, if you prefer this soup, freeze it before adding cream. When ready to eat, defrost, reheat, and just add cream and parmesan before serving.
Creamy asparagus soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, in an airtight container.
Looking for More Soup Recipe? Try these:
- Easy Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Low Carb Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Creamy White Chicken Chili
- One-Pot Low Carb and Keto Zuppa Toscana
Best Creamy Asparagus Soup
- 1 bunch asparagus about 1 pound, woody ends trimmed and washed
- 2 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and smashed
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth low-sodium
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup parmesan shredded
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- fresh herbs such as thyme dill, or basil, to garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place a large pot over medium heat and melt the butter.
- Cook the onions and garlic until translucent and tender for about 6-8 minutes. Stir constantly to prevent browning. Reduce the heat if necessary.
- Cut the tips of a few asparagus spars and set them aside.
- Chop the remaining spears into 1-inch pieces and add them into the pot.
- Stir in broth, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer for 10 minutes and remove the pot from the heat. Allow cooling slightly.
- Puree the soup until completely smooth using a hand (immersion) or regualr blender.
- Stir in heavy cream, parmesan, and lemon juice.
- Taste test and season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Garnish with your favorite herbs, more cream, and enjoy!
- For a thicker soup, allow to simmer uncovered until it reaches desired thickness.
- For a vegan asparagus soup, replace heavy cream with coconut cream, and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. Skip the parmesan and top the soup with roasted pine nuts. So good!
- This asparagus soup is keto-friendly, loaded with fiber, and nutrients! It has only 5g net carbs per serving.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes:
It was fantastic…
This is really good! Can you share how many servings this makes and how much a serving is 🙂 Thank you!