This Low Carb Cream of Mushroom Soup is hearty, silky, thick, and delicious. Enjoy a comforting, flavorful keto mushroom soup, and forget about canned mushroom soup because this recipe is extremely easy to make. Perfect low carb keto soup to make for those chilly days!
It’s unbelievable how easy this keto mushroom soup is to make. Only a few wholesome ingredients to make a delicious bowl of soup in less than 30 minutes.
There are tons of brands that sell mushroom soup, but the list of the ingredients is incredibly long, full of ingredients that aren’t keto-friendly. This mushroom soup is a slightly thick soup, so you’ll need a way to thicken it. Most brands use wheat flour, which is super high in carbs.
No more canned soup! With this super easy soup recipe, I don’t think you’ll ever go back to the store-bought ones!
- Cream of Mushroom Soup Video Recipe
- Low Carb Cream of Mushroom Soup Ingredients
- How to Make Low Carb Keto Mushroom Soup?
- How to Thicken Low Carb Mushrooms Soup Recipe?
- Are Mushrooms Keto?
- Storage Ideas
- Other Delicious Mushroom Recipes You Might Like
- Low Carb Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
Cream of Mushroom Soup Video Recipe
Low Carb Cream of Mushroom Soup Ingredients
This low carb keto mushroom soup needs just a few wholesome ingredients such as full-fat cream, your favorite mushrooms, a splash of white wine, and to complement the flavors, add fresh thyme! Here are all the ingredients you’ll need:
- Fresh Mushrooms: I love to use fresh brown or cremini mushroom in this recipe. You can choose portobello mushrooms or a mushroom mix, and they will all result in a delicious soup. To save some time, get sliced mushrooms from the store.
- Fresh Herbs: My favorite herbs to use in this gluten-free soup are thyme and parsley. If these aren’t your favorite, you can always switch and add: rosemary, oregano, chives, or cilantro
- Cream: Stick to the full-fat heavy whipping cream because it’s less processed than light cream, half and half or thickened cream.
- Garlic & Onions – These are two extremely important ingredients that create the perfect taste for this mushroom soup recipe.
- Low Carb Thickener: We need a thickener to create this tasty creamy mushroom soup. For low carb options, you can use xanthan gum, glucomannan powder, arrowroot powder or coconut flour.
- Wine: Use dry red or white wine to complement the flavors. You can leave it wine, but I highly suggest to use it – it will make a difference!
How to Make Low Carb Keto Mushroom Soup?
I used to buy canned mushroom soup for years and never thought about it. I enjoyed it for lunch or dinner and never thought of making it at home.
What a game-changer it is!
Not only we get rid of all those unnecessary ingredients like wheat flour, tons of added sugar, and a few more extra processed, but it is extremely easy to whip up. I’d say this low carb vegetarian soup it’s a million times creamier and flavorful, if not even more!
- Infuse the butter and oil over medium heat with garlic, onion, and herbs. Then sautée the sliced mushrooms for a few minutes, so they soak up all that garlic butter flavor.
- Add white wine, broth, sprinkle with a thickener agent, and simmer for about 15 minutes. Reduce the heat and add heavy cream.
- Optional: Puree the soup to get the desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with a thick buttery slice of keto bread.
How to Thicken Low Carb Mushrooms Soup Recipe?
This keto soup is indeed very creamy, but what about a thick mushroom soup? Usually, traditional cram of mushrooms soup is thickened with wheat flour, but to keep it low carb we have to think about substitutions that yield the same results.
- Xanthan Gum – It has the same functions as gelatin but is entirely vegan. It can be used in tons of sweet or savory dishes. The best way to blend xanthan gum is to dissolve it in a bit of oil. As a rule of thumb use 1/8 tsp xanthan gum per cup of liquid and constantly whisk after adding it the sauce.
- Glucomannan Powder (or konjac fiber) – It is ten times more powerful than cornstarch and does not have calories. Use a tiny amount of konjac fiber mixed with cold water or stock until smooth, then add this mixture to the soup. Do not add konjac flour directly in the hot soup because it turns immediately into lumps. Always remember to dissolve it first in cold liquids, and it will thicken when heated to boiling temperature.
- Coconut Flour – It’s great to use as a thickener since it has the amazing property of soaking liquids very well. It will add a slightly sweet coconut taste.
- Arrowroot Powder – It’s gluten-free, grain-free, and paleo starchy substance extracted from the root of a tropical tuber. It does a great job replacing cornstarch because it has no taste and it’s twice as powerful as thicking soups and sauces than cornstarch. Use one teaspoon of arrowroot powder for every tablespoon of flour. For this recipe use 2 tsp of arrowroot powder and keep in mind that will add about 2g net carbs extra to each serving of soup.
Are Mushrooms Keto?
Aside from being incredibly tasty and nutritious, mushrooms are super low carb making them perfect for eating on a keto diet! This low carb vegetable is super versatile and can be cooked in different ways.
One cup of mushrooms provides only 2.3g net carbs, 16 calories, and 2.2g protein, you can freely enjoy mushrooms on your low carb journey.
- Fridge -Store this keto mushroom soup in the refrigerator for 4 days.
- Freezer – Freeze leftover soup in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- Reheating – Place the frozen soup in a small saucepan over low heat or microwave until hot.
Other Delicious Mushroom Recipes You Might Like
- Pork Chops with Super Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- Portobello Keto Pizza
- Creamy Chicken Marsala Recipe
- The Best Sautéed Mushrooms With Garlic
- Keto Stuffed Mushrooms
- Easy Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
Low Carb Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 4 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 10 cups (750g) fresh brown mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup heavy cream or canned coconut cream
- 4 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth low sodium
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tsp xanthan gum optional to thicken the soup
- 4 tsp fresh thyme divided
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper freshly cracked
- A pinch of paprika
- Chopped fresh parsley and thyme to serve
- In a large pot heat the butter, and oil over medium-high. Sauté onion in the melted butter for 2 to 3 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and fry for about 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the sliced mushrooms, 2 teaspoons thyme, the wine and simmer 5-7 minutes
- Sprinkle mushrooms with xanthan gum (to get a thicker soup), stir well and cook for about 2 minutes. Pour the broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes, until thickened.
- Remove the soup from heat and stir in the heavy cream. At this point, you can puree the soup using a stick blender.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper to your taste.
- Mix in fresh parsley and thyme. Enjoy warm with a buttery toasted low carb bread slice.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: