This White Chicken Chili is a flavorful, rich, and creamy low carb soup. It’s super easy to whip up for a satisfying and filling dinner. It’s so good, I’m sure there won’t be any leftovers, but it’s a freezer-friendly meal.
My thing is I love meals that are easy to make that everyone enjoys eating. For us, it’s mandatory to have some soup daily for lunch or dinner. We just love eating soup every day because it’s a fantastic meal that can be reheated fast.
The classic keto chili has a special place in my heart with all that juicy beef and tender veggies, but this low carb white chicken chili version is what you need to try next.
PS: Don’t forget to make this awesome keto cornbread recipe to dip into the gluten-free white chicken chili.
What’s White Chili?
White chili is usually made of canned hearty beans, juicy rotisserie chicken, chili peppers, corn, and spices.
Ingredients for White Chicken Chili
This chicken chili is made without beans or corn because we’re trying to keep things low carb. It’s still a very flavorful, creamy recipe made with rotisserie chicken, peppers, and cream cheese.
It’s not the classic beef chili but believe me; it’s so filling and scrumptious, perfect for chilly fall nights.
Let’s take a look at all the ingredients you’ll need to make a delicious white chicken chili recipe:
- Shredded Chicken – Out of convenience I prefer using rotisserie chicken but any leftover chicken it’s perfect if you shred it using a fork. I use chicken breast for this recipe, but chicken thighs are also a fantastic choice. You can replace chicken with turkey and make a flavorful white turkey chili that’s tasty too.
- Garlic and onion – These two bad boys are key ingredients and bring tons of flavor to this chicken chili.
- Unsalted Butter – Also a key ingredient since everything sautéed in butter it’s so tasty.
- Chicken broth – Chose a low-sodium chicken broth or use a homemade one for an even more delicious taste.
- Green chilies – I used a mild version, but you can go for the hot ones. The diced jalapenos make it super spicy.
- Cumin, Paprika, and Oregano – my favorite spices and herbs to add.
- Cream cheese and Whipping Cream – give this soup that creamy touch and the white color we are looking for.
- Lime – Fresh lime juice works best, but you can omit it.
- Cilantro – I love using plenty of cilantro, but if you’re not a fan, skip it and top this low carb soup with plenty of freshly chopped parsley.
- Your favorite toppings – I enjoy serving white chicken chili recipe topped with avocado, a dollop of sour cream, keto tortilla chips, and shredded cheese.
How to Make White Chili?
This recipe is super simple as chili, in general, is effortless to make.
If you choose to cook raw chicken, you might want to start with that. It will take roughly about 15 minutes. After the chicken is done cooking use a fork and shred it well.
- Start by sauteeing the onion, garlic, mild chiles, and jalapenos in some delicious butter to bring together all the flavors. This will take about 5 minutes.
- Then add the liquids (chicken broth), herbs, spices and bring to a boil to enhance the flavors.
- Next, add the cream cheese and heavy cream to give that creamy texture and beautiful white color.
As you can see, this recipe is easy to make with rotisserie chicken or homemade cooked chicken.
Perfectly Thick White Chicken Chili Soup
This white chicken chili is not as liquidy as a soup but slightly thinner than a stew. I think it has the perfect thickness from all that cheese and cream. If you’re a fan of thicker soups, I’ll give you a few alternatives.
Thick soups are usually thickened using flour, cornstarch, and other ingredients that can increase the carbs in this soup. Flour is not keto-approved since it’s high in carbs.j
My most favorite way to thicken keto soup is by using xanthan gum. You’ll need only 1-2 teaspoons of xanthan gum to thicken a whole pot of soup.
Make sure to make a slurry first. Combine the xanthan gum with a few tablespoons of water and whisk it into the hot soup. Bring the low carb soup to a boil.
How to Make Crock Pot White Chicken Chili?
This white chicken chili can also be cooked in a crockpot. Here’s what you have to do:
In your Crock-Pot add 1 lb raw chicken, broth, diced onion, garlic, spices, chiles, and diced chili pepper. Sautee the onion, pepper, and garlic before adding to the Crock-Pot for the best flavor. Give it a stir.
Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 5-6 hours or until the chicken is cooked and it can be shredded with ease. Remember that slow cookers are different, and the cooking time may vary from brand to brand.
Using a fork shred the chicken and add the cream cheese mixture. Stir well and cook on high for 30 minutes more and your Crock-Pot white chicken chili is ready to serve.
There are plenty of ideas on how to serve this in the recipe card below.
Chicken Chili Variations
While this easy white chili recipe is great served as it is, toppings make it even better.
- Top with jalapeno slices, lime, avocado, cilantro, or sour cream.
- Adjust the heat levels depending on your taste preference. Diced chiles come at several heat levels so be mindful of the spice level.
- Use rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken to make this soup faster.
How Many Carbs are in Keto Chicken Chili?
White chicken chili is naturally low carbs and keto-friendly because we’re using only low carb ingredients. A hearty serving of keto white chicken chili has only 5g of carbs, and it’s super filling and delicious.
How to Store White Chicken Chili?
This white chicken chili is a fantastic recipe for meal prep because the leftovers are easy to reheat and perfect served the next day. You can use the microwave to reheat this low carb keto soup to make your life easy.
Store this in the refrigerator for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
Can I Freeze Low Carb Chicken White Chili?
This chicken chili recipe is freezer-friendly so you can make-ahead and thaw it when ready to serve.
It’s possible to freeze leftovers chicken chili. Make sure to completely cool down the chili before storing it in freezer containers or plastic bags. To reheat, thaw the soup in the fridge overnight and then place a serving in a big bowl and microwave for 1-2 minutes until hot.
The Best Soups Recipes
- Low Carb Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
- Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Soup – Easy Low Carb Keto Meal
- Easy Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Super Creamy Garlic Shredded Chicken Keto Soup
Creamy White Chicken Chili Recipe
- 2 ½ cups shredded cooked chicken* rotisserie or leftover chicken
- 1 green pepper diced
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced
- 2 ¼ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 oz can mild green chiles chopped
- 1 jalapeno diced
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 2 tbsp butter or olive oil
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lime Juice
- Shredded Pepper Jack Cheese
- Shredded White Cheddar
- Sour Cream
- In a large pot, heat the butter over medium-high heat and add the onion, chiles, diced jalapenos, green pepper and sautee for 4-5 minutes or until the vegetables are softer. Add the garlic and sautee the garlic for 30 seconds more.
- Add the chicken broth, cumin, paprika, oregano, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper and bring to a boil. Let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl combine cream cheese and heavy cream.
- Stir the cream cheese mixture into the hot soup.
- Add the shredded chicken and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in fresh lemon juice and cilantro if desired.
- Serve pepper jack cheese, avocado cubes, cilantro, sour cream.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: