Learn how to make boiled eggs in 4 different ways with our simple methods. This simple recipe provides a time chart to pick from and make soft to hard-boiled eggs that peel easily.
It took me a while to figure out how to make soft-boiled and hard-boiled eggs just the way I wanted them. The insides of a perfect hard-boiled egg are creamy and mellow, with no green ring around the yolk. You may even skip the hard-boiled eggs and make a gooey soft-boiled egg.
This simple recipe allows you to pick from softly cooked to hard-set eggs, as well as anything in between. It is the most effective method for consistently producing excellent cooked eggs.
- Are Boiled Eggs Good For You?
- How Long To Boil The Eggs
Are Boiled Eggs Good For You?
Yes, eggs are amongst the most nutritious foods you can enjoy. Vitamin D, calcium, iron, potassium, riboflavin, vitamin B12, biotin, pantothenic acid, iodine, zinc, selenium, molybdenum, and lecithin are among the 13 important vitamins and minerals found in eggs. In addition, each egg provides 6 grams of high-quality protein, which includes all the important amino acids.
How To Boil Eggs In 4 Different Ways
When boiling eggs to a precise degree of doneness, every minute counts. When the timer goes off, continue cooking the eggs for 3 to 12 minutes. While the water is coming to a boil, start preparing the ice bath. Fill a bowl halfway with ice cubes and top with water. Transfer the eggs to the cool water. To chill the eggs and stop the cooking, place them in an ice bath for at least one minute.
How To Boil Eggs In An Instant Pot
- Place the trivet insert in a 6-quart electric pressure cooker and add 1 cup of water. After that, place the eggs on the trivet.
- Close the pressure-release valve and lock the lid. Adjust to high pressure and cook for 5 minutes.
- Allow for a 5-minute natural release before quickly releasing any excess pressure.
- After rinsing the eggs in cold water, please place them in ice water to chill fully.
How To Boil Eggs On The Stove Top
In a large saucepan, place six large eggs in a single layer and pour cold water to cover. Bring the eggs to a boil over high heat, and set a timer depending on how firm or set you prefer to boil your eggs.
- 2-4 minutes for soft and runny boiled eggs
- 5-8 minutes for soft and set boiled eggs
- 8-14 minutes for hard boiled eggs
How Long To Boil The Eggs
Here are the best times for boiling the perfect eggs:
- 3 minutes for the super soft boiled yolk and set white
- 4 minutes for soft-boiled eggs
- 5 minutes for slightly soft-boiled eggs
- 6 minutes for soft-boiled eggs that are custardy but firm
- 7 minutes for creamy hard-boiled eggs
- 8 minutes for a firm but creamy hard-boiled eggs
- 9 minutes for super firm, hard-boiled eggs
Once the time is over, place the eggs in ice water to chill completely. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the eggs with ease.
How To Boil Eggs In a Slow Cooker
- Place 6-12 eggs on the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Cover the eggs with enough water to soak them completely. Then cook for 2 hours on high, covered.
- Remove the eggs from the slow cooker and set them in cold water to chill.
How To Boil Eggs In The Oven
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place six large eggs in a muffin tin and cook for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place in a bowl of ice water to chill for about 10 minutes.
How To Peel The Eggs
After boiling the eggs and cooling them in ice-cold water bath, crack the shells carefully and roll them on the counter. The shell will readily fall off.
If some eggs are difficult to peel, break them all over without peeling them and run them under cold water or soak them in a bowl with water for a few minutes. The water seeps beneath the shell, making it easier to peel.
Tips For Boiling Eggs
- For easiest peeling, use old eggs rather than fresh eggs The less fresh it is, the faster the egg is peeled.
- Store hard-boiled eggs with the shell on for one week in an air-tight container.
- Spin an egg to see if it’s hard-cooked or raw. It is hard-boiled if it rotates around and around evenly. It’s a raw egg if it wobbles while rotating.
- Don’t overcrowd your pot as eggs may crack when the water is bubbling.
Storing Tips For Hard Boiled Eggs
- Hard-boiled eggs can be stored in their shell for up to a week in the refrigerator.
- Peeled eggs should be consumed within a few days of peeling them. It’s essential to store peeled eggs in the refrigerator, preferably in a bowl filled with cold water.
Can I Freeze Hard-Boiled Eggs?
No, freezing hard-boiled eggs is not a good idea. Frozen egg whites become rubbery and watery.
How To Eat Hard-Boiled Eggs
You can eat them simple as they are, or you can try the next following ideas:
- Make a delicious chicken salad or egg salad.
- For Breakfast — on Avocado Toast or with just an egg and bacon.
- Top your sandwiches
How To Boil Eggs (4 Ways)
- 6 large eggs or more
- 4 cups water enough to cover eggs
- 2 cups ice
- Place the eggs in a single layer in a medium pot and cover them with water. You’ll need at least 1 inch (2.5 cm) of water over them.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Once it starts to boil, reduce the heat and set a timer to cook eggs for 3-12 minutes, depending on how you prefer your eggs.
- Place the pan onto the stove over high heat. Bring the water to a rolling boil.
- Transfer the boiled eggs to a bowl filled with ice water and chill for 10 minutes. This helps the eggs peel easier.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: