This Keto Buche de Noel Or Yule Log Cake features a fluffy chocolate cake layer filled with a luscious mascarpone filling. Covered in a whipped chocolate ganache, this cake is ultra delicious, sugar-free, and gluten-free. Super festive and perfect for Christmas.
Known As Buche de Noel in French, this dessert is a Christmas cake made in the form of a log from a flourless chocolate cake topped with chocolate whipped cream and decorated with powdered sweetener to make it look like snow on a Yule Log.
Trust me when I tell you that you will love this low-carb Buche de Noel Log Cake as it is extremely delicious and better than store-bought ones, which contain too much sugar.
You may think this recipe requires a little effort to put together, but you will be surprised to discover how easy and fun it is to prepare.
It’s a European tradition to make a classic Buche de Noel around Christmas time. It’s shaped like a Yule log, and it’s part of French culinary cuisine.
What Is Buche de Noel?
Many call this cake yule log, and it’s the same thing with Buche de Noel, which is the original name of a Christmas cake from French cuisine.
This Buche de Noel is the symbol of the fireplace, which warms people’s homes in winter. In France, any Christmas dinner ends with this Bûche de Noël, originating in the 20th century.
Why Are You Going To Love This Keto Yule Log Cake Recipe
- It’s a gluten-free and sugar-free dessert.
- Super festive and loaded with chocolate flavor.
- Perfect for this holiday season.
- Has only 7g net carbs per serving.
Ingredients For This Keto Buche de Noel
The ingredients you need to make this keto Buche de noel are basic and easy to find. You probably have some of them in your kitchen:
For The Cake Layer
- Almond Flour – use superfine blanched almond flour for a better texture.
- Sweetener – I used powdered erythritol for this recipe, but you can also use Allulose, Monk Fruit, or your favorite keto sweetener.
- Cocoa Powder – Of course, sugar-free! Use the best quality cocoa powder that you can find.
- Gelatin – it helps to have a more flexible layer cake.
- Eggs – must be separated to give volume and softness to the cake.
- Vanilla Extract – To guarantee that the flavors don’t fade while baking, use the best vanilla extract you can find.
- Cream of Tartar – if you don’t have any, you can replace it with white vinegar.
Mascarpone Whipped Cream Filling
- Mascarpone Cheese – you can replace it with cream cheese. But I recommended mascarpone because it’s thick, creamy, and has a neutral flavor that works well as a mousse-like filling with whipped cream.
- Heavy Cream – You can replace it with coconut cream as well.
- Sweetener – you have to sift to avoid any lumps in the filling.
- Vanilla Extract
- Salt – to enhance the flavors.
Whipped Chocolate Ganache
- Chocolate – you will need unsweetened chocolate.
- Heavy Cream
How To Make This Keto Buche de Noel
This Keto Buche de Noel is easy to make by following a few simple steps. So, even though it appears to be a lot of effort, it’s not that complicated.
Make The Cake Layer
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Then mix the egg yolks with sweetener and vanilla extract until creamy.
- Add the white eggs, cream of tartar, salt, and sweetener to a different bowl and mix until fluffy.
- Fold the egg yolks gently into the white eggs, then add the dry mixture and mix slowly.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper and spread the cake batter evenly. Try to distribute it thinly and evenly since the more uniform it is, the more uniformly it will cool and roll.
- Bake it for about 15 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly pressed.
- Use the parchment paper and roll it up slowly and gently while it’s still warm. Then, allow the cake to cool completely.
Make The Filling
- Add all the ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix with an electric mixer for 2 minutes. Place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Make The Whipped Chocolate Ganache
- Add the heavy whipping cream to a saucepan and bring it to a boil.
- Pour the cream over the chopped chocolate and set aside for one minute.
- Then mix quickly with a whisk until you have a thick and shiny chocolate sauce.
- Let the sauce cool for 5 minutes at room temperature, then for two more minutes in the refrigerator.
- Take the chocolate sauce out of the fridge and, with the help of a mixer, start mixing until the consistency becomes frothy and the color changes.
Asamble The Buche de Noel
- Unroll the cake once it has completely cooled, being cautious not to break it. Spread the whipped cream evenly. Carefully roll the cake into a log, spread the chocolate ganache, and dust with powdered sweetener.
Tips For Making The Best Keto Buche de Noel
- Spread the batter using a silicone spatula and give it a good shake to level out the ridges left by the spatula.
- If you can’t find mascarpone, you can use the same amount of cream cheese.
- Remember to roll your cake in a kitchen towel while it’s still warm. When you wrap it up again with the filling, this step will prevent any cracks.
- You can add some fruits to the filling, like strawberries, raspberries, or blueberries.
- Fridge: This Keto Buche de Noel can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Freezer: If you also choose to freeze it. Transfer the cake to a parchment sheet or plate in the freezer for 1-2 hours. Then, once the cake is completely frozen, take it from the freezer and wrap it with plastic foil before placing it in an airtight container.
To defrost it, remove the plastic wrap over the cake and place it in the fridge overnight before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Buche de Noel Keto-Friendly?
Traditional Buche de Noel is not keto since it’s made with wheat flour, milk, and sugar. But fortunately, you can make a keto version of this recipe using naturally low-carb ingredients.
Is It Hard To Make This Keto Buche de Noel?
Before making this recipe, I thought I would have a lot of work, and I was afraid not to fail it. But after I made the recipe, I realized it wasn’t as hard as I thought, and after tasting it, I realized that it was worth every effort.
So prepare it before Christmas as a little test to see what you have to deal with. Anyway, I’m sure that when you take the first bite, you will be surprised, and it will become your favorite dessert for Christmas.
Can I Make This Recipe Ahead Of Time?
Sure, you can prepare this recipe a night before serving it. Then, store it in the fridge and surprise your loved one at your Christmas dinner party.
More Keto Christmas Dessert Recipes
- Keto Gingerbread Loaf with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Keto Gingerbread Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- The Best Keto Red Velvet Cake – Only 4g carbs!
- Keto Gingerbread Cookies – Best Low Carb Christmas Cookies
Keto Buche de Noel
For The Cake Layer
For The Mascarpone Filling
For The Chocolate Ganache
- 8 ounces dark chocolate finely chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
Make The Cake Layer
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, cocoa powder, and gelatin.
- Add the egg yolks with the remaining 2 tbsp of the granulated sweetener in a different bowl and mix until light yellow and thickened. Then add in the vanilla extract.
- Mix the egg whites with the salt and cream of tartar until frothy. Add in the remaining 2 tbsp sweetener and mix until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the egg yolk mixture into the whites. Then add in the dry ingredients mixture and whisk slowly until well combined.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared baking pan and bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes. Cover with another kitchen towel and while still warm, gently roll up inside the kitchen towel, starting from one of the shorter ends.
- Let cool while preparing the filling.
Make The Mascarpone Filling
- Add the mascarpone cheese, heavy cream, powdered sweetener, vanilla extract, and salt to a large mixing bowl and mix on high speed until soft peaks form.
Make The Chocolate Ganache
- Add the chocolate to a medium-sized bowl and set aside. Heat the heavy cream until it begins to boil, then pour it over the chocolate.
- Allow to sit for a few minutes, then whisk until smooth.
- Let the ganache cool to room temperature, then transfer it to a large mixer bowl.
- Mix on high speed until lightened in color and thick enough to spread.
Assemble The Buche de Noel
- Unroll the cake layer and spread over the filling, leaving 2cm at the edges for an overspill of the filling as you roll.
- Carefully roll up the cake and place it in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
- Take out the cake from the fridge and cover it with chocolate ganache using a spatula.
- Using a fork, create bark marks on the ganache and dust with powdered low-carb sweetener.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: