Keto tortilla recipe that is not only grain-free, low in carbs and suitable for any high-fat diet but also egg free, vegan and paleo friendly.
I am craving Indian food like crazy these days. While most of the dishes are easy to turn into a keto friendly version, I started wondering how can I make their traditional bread (roti, naan) low in carbs. I discovered this recipe, and it’s definitely my favorite keto tortilla or keto naan recipe.
I like delicious tortillas to eat with curry, keto butter chicken, gravy or with different toppings such as meat, salads avocado and dressings.
Ingredients for the keto tortilla and naan
Here we go again with my story, telling you how much I love simple, uncomplicated yet tasty and addictive recipes. This is one of those recipes.
No matter where you live, I sure all the ingredients can be found in the nearest food health store, or you can order them on Amazon. Here are the low carb ingredients you’ll need:
- Coconut flour, a type of flour that absorbs well liquids and a low carb replacement for wheat flour. You can’t replace it with almond flour in this recipe.
- Psyllium husk powder makes the tortillas stick together, giving them structure and making it closer in texture to real tortillas. You can bake or fry them in a skillet, and the result is still fantastic. I now think it would be excellent as a keto pizza crust.
- Hot water (not boiling) is the crucial ingredient that activates the flours, and we use them instead of the eggs to avoid the eggy taste. Start by adding a cup then add more until you get a dough that is not sticky.
- Coconut oil or Butter to give naan an amazing fatty taste. You can skip and still get a perfect paleo tortilla.
- Seasonings of choice: garlic powder or onion powder. Adding spices will cover the slightly coconutty flavor given by the coconut flour.
- Baking powder
Carbs and macros in keto tortillas
You’re probably wondering how many carbs, fats, and protein are in each of these flatbreads. Well, I am thrilled to tell you that one keto naan comes to only 2g net carbs.
- Calories 89 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Net Carbohydrates: 2g
- Dietary Fiber: 5g
- Fat: 5g
- Protein: 1g
Easy Low Carb Tortilla – Keto Naan Bread – Egg-Free & 2g net carbs
- In a large bowl combine the coconut flour, psyllium husk powder, baking powder, garlic powder, and salt.
- Add the coconut oil to the flour. Then add 1 cup hot water at a time until you get a nonsticky dough. Add as much water as needed. Watch the instruction video below to see the consistency.
- Let the dough sit for 15-20 minutes at room temperature to allow the coconut flour and psyllium husk powder to absorb the liquids.
- Cut the dough into small balls and roll them out using your hands, parchment paper, and a rolling pin.
- Heat a non-stick pan to medium heat, melt some coconut oil and add the tortilla. Cook for about 60 seconds on each side or until they are golden brown.
- Repeat until you have no dough left. Enjoy the tortillas (keto naan bread) hot or cold with your favorite toppings.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
Need Low Carb Basics?
Click the buttons below to buy low carb essentials.