Try this incredibly easy keto bread replacement recipe. You’ll only need 5 ingredients to whip up these delicious keto bagels for your breakfast. They are just 5g net carbs each, super chewy, and a breeze to make. Plus, they have no eggy taste and can be enjoyed either warm or cold. This gluten-free keto bread, made with almond flour, adds a delightful twist to your meals, making them not only low in carbs but also incredibly tasty.
If you’re new to the keto diet and looking for a satisfying bread alternative, this recipe is perfect for you!
With these keto bagels, you won’t miss traditional bread. They’re ideal for low-carb breakfast sandwiches or simply toasted with butter or cream cheese and smoked salmon.
The concept of using mozzarella dough for low-carb baked goods is super clever. It’s remarkably easy to prepare and yields consistently excellent results.
The texture of these gluten-free fathead bagels mirrors that of classic wheat bagels: crispy, chewy, and beautifully golden-brown.
To create these delicious bagels, you’ll start by making a basic fathead dough, which is highly popular in the keto community. This versatile dough can be used for various keto recipes, such as keto pizza, low carb tortilla chips, and even keto desserts like Low Carb Keto Cinnamon Rolls with Fat Dough, which turn out absolutely divine. Enjoy experimenting with it!
Ingredients for Keto Fathead Bagels
You’ll need only 5 ingredients to make the keto bagels with mozzarella dough.
- Shredded Mozzarella: Be sure to use shredded mozzarella instead of fresh mozzarella, as fresh mozzarella won’t work for making mozzarella dough.
- Cream Cheese: This ingredient adds the extra creaminess that gives the bagel dough its delightful texture and taste.
- Eggs: Use large eggs at room temperature to help bind everything together seamlessly.
- Almond Flour: We use this gluten-free flour as a substitute for traditional white flour, which is used in classic bagels. It’s essential to choose a super fine blanched almond flour and avoid almond meal for the best results.
- Baking Powder: Ensure your baking powder is fresh to ensure these bagels rise properly.
Here’s a tip to enhance the flavor and texture of your keto bagels: consider adding a tablespoon of protein powder to the dough. This extra touch will bring the taste even closer to that of traditional bagels, making your low-carb version all the more satisfying and loaded with protein.
How to Make Keto Bagels?
To make these amazing almond flour bagels, you need to follow a few easy steps. The technique of making fathead dough is super easy, and I found this one is the best:
Making the Fathead Bagel Dough
- Combine Ingredients: Start by taking a microwave-safe bowl and thoroughly mix together the shredded mozzarella, cream cheese, almond flour, and baking powder. Ensure that these ingredients are well combined.
- Microwave Mixture: Place the bowl in the microwave and heat the cheese mixture for 60 seconds. The goal is to melt the ingredients together.
- Stir Melted Mixture: Carefully remove the bowl from the microwave and give the melted mixture a good stir. Make sure that all the ingredients are fully incorporated. This mixture will form the base of your bagel dough.
- Add Eggs: While the cheese mixture is still warm to the touch (not too hot, or it will cook the eggs), add the eggs. Blend them in thoroughly until a slightly thick dough forms.
- Adjust Dough Consistency: If you find that the dough is too sticky to handle, you can gradually add 1-2 tablespoons of almond flour. Incorporate the additional almond flour until the dough reaches a more manageable and less sticky consistency.
Don’t want to use the microwave?
If you don’t have access to a microwave or simply don’t want to use it, you can still make the dough using a stovetop method. Simply set up a double boiler on your stovetop by placing a heatproof bowl over a pot filled with simmering water, making sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water. In this bowl, combine the shredded mozzarella, cream cheese, almond flour, and baking powder. Stir continuously until the mixture melts and blends together, which may take a few minutes but achieves the same result as microwaving.
Shaping the Bagels
- Divide the fathead dough into six equal parts.
- Using your hands, form each portion into long strings and shape them into round bagels. Press the ends together to secure the shape, as demonstrated in the video.
Baking to Perfection
- Place all the formed bagels on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Sprinkle the bagels with Everything Bagel Seasoning Mix to your liking.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Bake the bagels for approximately 12-15 minutes or until they are golden on the edges. Keep an eye on them to prevent over-baking.
Tips For Making The Best Keto Bagels Everytime
- Pre-Mixing: I prefer mixing the shredded cheese and cream cheese with the almond flour before melting them in the microwave. This way, I am sure that all the ingredients are well combined.
- Perfect Baking: When it’s time to bake, I preheat my oven and keep a close eye on the bagels. They’re ready when they achieve a lovely golden color and fill my kitchen with a delightful aroma. Typically, this takes about 15 minutes, but I adjust the time as needed for the best results.
- Toppings: Don’t hesitate to experiment with various toppings like sesame seeds, poppy seeds, or even grated cheese to create different flavor profiles
- Cool Before Slicing: Once out of the oven, let the bagels cool for a few minutes before slicing. This helps maintain their structure and prevents them from becoming too soft.
Troubleshooting: Common Dough Challenges
- Dough Too Sticky: If your dough is too sticky and challenging to work with, don’t panic. Here are some helpful steps to fix it:
- Refrigerate the Dough: Place the sticky dough in the refrigerator for about 15-20 minutes. Cooling it down can make it less sticky and easier to handle.
- Oil Your Hands: Before working with the dough, lightly oil your hands with a neutral oil like olive oil or coconut oil. This will prevent the dough from sticking to your hands and make shaping the bagels much smoother.
- Additional Almond Flour: If needed, gradually add small amounts of almond flour while kneading the dough until it reaches a more manageable consistency. Avoid adding too much flour at once, as it can make the dough too dry.
- Dough Too Dry or Crumbly: On the other hand, if your dough feels overly dry and crumbly, it might need more moisture. Add a teaspoon of water at a time and knead until the dough becomes pliable. Be cautious not to add too much water, as it can make the dough overly wet.
- Bagels Spread During Baking: If your bagels spread excessively while baking, it might result from using less firm cheese. Ensure you use hard mozzarella cheese and avoid soft fresh mozzarella for the best results. You can also use 1/4 tsp of xanthan gum to ensure even baking or use a silicone round mold.
- Bagels Aren’t Browning: If your bagels aren’t browning as desired, consider brushing them lightly with an egg wash before baking. This adds a beautiful golden color to the tops.
How To Store
- Room Temperature: If you plan to consume the bagels within a day or two, you can store them at room temperature in an airtight container
- Refrigerator: Place your keto bagels in an airtight container and refrigerate them. They can last up to a week in the fridge.
- Freezer: Slice the bagel in half, and wrap each bagel individually in plastic wrap or aluminum foil to prevent freezer burn. Place the wrapped bagels in a resealable freezer bag or an airtight container. Keto bagels can be stored in the freezer for up to three months.
- Thawing: When you’re ready to enjoy a frozen bagel, remove it from the freezer and let it thaw at room temperature or in the refrigerator. To refresh the bagel’s texture and flavor, you can lightly toast it in a toaster or oven.
Can I Make Nut-Free Keto Bagels?
To make nut-free keto bagels, substitute almond flour with 3/4 cups of golden flaxseeds or with the same amount of ground sunflower seeds.
You can also make coconut flour bagels. Use only 1/2 cup coconut flour instead of almond flour and follow the same steps.
More Keto Bread Recipes
- The Best Keto Bread without Eggs
- Tasty Low Carb Bread • No Eggy Taste
- Italian Herb Keto Bread • 2g Net Carbs
- The Easiest Keto Zucchini Bread • 3g Net Carbs
- Easy Keto Blueberry Bread • Low-Carb Recipe
Keto Bagels with Almond Flour – 5 ingredients Keto Bread
- Preheat the oven at 400°F /200°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl mix well the shredded mozzarella, the cream cheese, the almond flour, and the baking powder.2 ½ cups low-moisture mozzarella cheese, 1 ½ cups almond flour, 3 oz cream cheese, 1 tsp baking powder
- Microwave the cheese mixture for 60 seconds. Stir well the melted mixture, until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add the eggs while the cheese mixture is still warm. If the dough is too sticky, add 1-2 tbsp almond flour and incorporate well.2 large eggs
- Divide the fathead dough into six equal parts. Using your hand form long strings and shape them as a round bagel, pressing the ends, as shown in the video.
- Place all the formed bagels on a baking sheet and sprinkle with Everything Bagel Seasoning Mix.1 tbsp Everything Bagel Seasoning Mix
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the bagels are golden on the edges.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.