This easy 4-ingredients Caprese salad skewers recipe with pesto is an appetizer you can make in just a few minutes. A full of flavor, quick and healthy appetizer that’s a crowd-pleaser. Perfect for any friends and family gathering!
These Caprese skewers are super fun, quick to make, and they look impressive. With just 4 ingredients, this recipe is based on my favorite Caprese salad as the main ingredients are: grape tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil.
Homemade Basil Pesto Sauce it’s a great addition of fresh flavor; you can use your favorite storebought basil pesto to make these quick appetizers.
Ingredients for Caprese Salad Skewers
For these healthy keto Caprese skewers, you’ll need just a few low carb ingredients:
- Basil pesto – homemade tastes better, but storebought is just fine if you’re short on time.
- Fresh mozzarella balls – also called bocconcini.
- Grape or cherry tomatoes
- Fresh basil – When purchasing basil, make sure it looks bright and there are no wilted or discolored leaves.
How to Make Caprese Skewers with Pesto
Caprese Skewers are essentially a Caprese salad on a stick, but with a twist. The salad is consists of fresh slices of tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, served on a plate, princely with basil leaves, a drizzle o olive oil, and a balsamic vinegar reduction.
For this easy appetizer recipe that’s perfect for serving to any party, we’ll use basil pesto as a dressing. Marinating the cheese overnight makes them taste heavenly.
To make these Caprese skewers, all you have to do:
- Combine mozzarella balls with the pesto sauce and let them infuse with flavor.
- Thread all the ingredients on small sewers: tomato, basil, mozzarella, and so so on.
- Repeat until you have enough skewers. This recipe makes about 10 skewers, so feel free to adjust this depending on how many guests you’re having.
Caprese Appetizer Skewers Variations
- Swap mozzarella balls to grilled chicken for a dairy-free version.
- Use cubed pieces of mozzarella.
- Use marinated mozzarella ballas that are marinated in herbs and oil for extra flavor.
- If you’re not a fan of basil, replace them with baby spinach leaves.
Make Ahead Caprese Skewers
These can be made ahead with up to 12 hours ahead. Cover with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
The basil leaves may slightly wilt, so it’s best to assemble just before serving.
More Appetizers You’ll Love
- Cucumber Smoked Salmon Appetizer with Dill Cream Cheese
- Cream Cheese and Cheddar Ham Roll-Ups
- Sausage Balls
Tomato and Mozzarella Pesto Caprese Skewers
- ¼ cup basil pesto
- 20 mini mozzarella balls bocconcini or cubed mozzarella
- 20 cherry tomatoes
- ½ oz Fresh basil 30 leaves
- 10 wooden mini-skewers or toothpicks
- Wash tomatoes and basil leaves. Pat dry and set aside. If your basil leaves are large, cut them in half.
- In a small bowl, add the mozzarella balls and basil pesto. Mix to combine and let it rest for at least 15 minutes in the refrigerator, best overnight.
- Thread one cherry tomato on each skewer, then a basil leaf, a mozzarella ball, a basil leaf, and a tomato. Alternate these 3 ingredients, depending on the length of your skewers.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: