These decadent Eggplant Rolls are stuffed with a creamy Italian Inspired cheese and spinach mixture. You’ll love this gluten-free eggplant rollatini recipe that are super low carb, light, meat-free, and the perfect comfort food.
Even if you’re not an eggplant fan, this recipe will change your mind. The eggplant rolls melt in your mouth as they’re packed with flavor.
Enjoy eggplant rolls as a fantastic meatless lunch or as a fabulous appetizer.
Ingredients for Eggplant Rolls
The ingredients you’ll need to make the best cheesy eggplant rolls are delicious and incredibly satisfying.
You’ll need generous amounts of cheese and spinach for the filling and your favorite marinara sauce for baking these vegetarian. eggplant rolls.
- olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- marinara sauce
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
How to Make Eggplant Rolls with Spinach and Ricotta
Start by making thin eggplant slices. I love to use a mandolin instead of a knife because I perfectly even slices every time.
Once you sliced about 15-20 slices, it’s time to grill them on both sides to remove the moisture. Alternatively, you can bake the eggplant slice for about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven and make the ricotta and spinach filling. Combine spinach, ricotta, Mozzarella Cheese, Parmesan Cheese, minced garlic, eggs, salt, and pepper.
Spoon one heaping tablespoon of the ricotta mixture onto each eggplant slice and then roll up tightly. You’ll end up making about 20 eggplant vegetarian rolls.
Arrange the rolls into a baking dish. Top with marinara sauce, mozzarella and parmesan.
Bake until the cheese is completely melted, bubbly and the dish smells delicious.
Other Delicious Recipes You’ll Love
- Cream Cheese and Cheddar Ham Roll Ups
- One-Pot Low Carb and Keto Zuppa Toscana
- Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Creamy Broccoli Salad with Bacon
Eggplant Rolls with Creamy Spinach Cheese Filling
- Slice the ends of the eggplants and using a mandolin slice them lengthwise into 1/4-inch(½ cthick slices. Depending on how big your eggplants are you should get about 15-20 slices.
- Brush the eggplant slices with olive oil and sprinkle some salt.
- Heat a grill and cook the eggplant slices for about 30-60 seconds on each side, until tender.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF/ 180C and spread ½ cup marinara sauce on the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Set aside.
- To make the spinach ricotta filling, you'll need a large bowl. Combine thawed and drained spinach, ricotta, minced garlic, one egg, ½ cup Mozzarella Cheese and ½ cup Parmesan Cheese. Season with salt, pepper to taste and mix well to combine. Add homemade Italian Seasoning.
- To assemble: Place about 1 tbsp of cheese mixture in the centre of each eggplant slice and then roll-up. Repeat with all your eggplant slices.
- Top the eggplant rolls with the remaining marinara sauce and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and parmesan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the mozzarella is perfectly melted and has a golden-brown color. Let the eggplant rolls cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.