These stuffed zucchini boats are the perfect way to enjoy a delicious and fresh zucchini recipe. Zucchini boats are filled with a tasty beef sauce covered in mozzarella cheese. This recipe has Italian flavors, the zucchini is tender and the meat is extremely flavorful.
My grandmother gifted me plenty of zucchini this year. I’m trying to use them in any possible until they go bad. I love making zucchini noodles, and my loaf of Keto Zucchini Bread is moist, sweet, and delicious. Some of the zucchini goes straight to my freezer, and it’s perfect for pasta sauces.
I love zucchini because it’s such a versatile vegetable and packed with tons of nutrients and fiber. My digestion has drastically improved since I’m eating zucchini almost every day.
Stuffed Zucchini Boats Ingredients
This stuffed zucchini recipe is a classic dish perfect for summertime when zucchini are in season. I love that this recipe is incredibly customizable and ready in less than 30 minutes.
Here’s a note on the ingredients:
- Zucchini – Use medium zucchini that are similar in size. I choose zucchini that weigh 8 oz each, so they have enough space to add the stuffing.
- Ground beef – lean ground beef is delicious, but you can use Italian sausage, ground turkey, or chicken.
- Bell pepper – for some extra crunch and flavor.
- Dried herbs – oregano, rosemary, and thyme.
- Onion – finely chopped yellow onion.
- Garlic – fresh garlic adds the best flavor, but you can replace it with garlic powder.
- Olive oil – to cook the onion and garlic until fragrant. Use butter or avocado oil instead.
- Marinara sauce – or any tomato sauce.
- Mozzarella cheese – use your favorite shredded cheese.
- Fresh parsley – basil is also a good option.
How to Make Stuffed Zucchini Boats?
- Cut the zucchini boats. Slice each zucchini lengthwise and scoop out the flesh creating a shell for the meat sauce.
- Season the zucchini with a blend of dried oregano, thyme, rosemary, and salt. Place the zucchini in the prepared baking pan.
- Make the filling. Prepare the simple meat sauce by cooking the ground beef along with the onion, red pepper, and garlic. Season well and add marinara sauce. Simmer until the sauce is slightly thickened. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Assemble the zucchini boats by filling them with a few spoonfuls of the delicious beef mixture and top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake the stuffed zucchini boats in the preheated oven until perfection. The zucchini should be soft but still crisp, and the cheese melty and bubbly.
How To Serve Stuffed Zucchini Boats
I love to serve these stuffed zucchini boats on their own as a main meal or with a side dish. Here are some of the best ways to serve:
- Broccoli Salad
- Sauteed Eggplant Recipe
- Tomato Cucumber Salad
- Roasted Vegetables
- Air Fryer Asparagus
Tips and Variations
- Try not to scoop up too much flesh so the zucchini can hold the filling.
- Use mild or hot Italian sausage, ground pork, turkey, or even ground chicken.
- Make this recipe with yellow zucchini or eggplants.
- Feel free to use your favorite cheese, such as parmesan, fontina, gruyere, or cream cheese.
- If you like spicy meals, add some crushed red pepper flakes to the mixture.
- Refrigerator: These baked zucchini boats can be stored for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
- Freezer: I don’t recommend freezing stuffed zucchini as they get super soggy when thawed. However, you can make the filling ahead and freeze it until ready to stuff your zucchini.
- Reheating – Place the zucchini boats in the oven or the air fryer and reheat until warm.
Other Delicious Zucchini Recipes:
- Crispy Parmesan Baked Zucchini Fries
- Healthy Low Carb Keto Zucchini Fritters – 2g Net Carbs
- The Best Zucchini Lasagna – Keto & Low-Carb Recipe
- Best Zucchini Casserole – Super Creamy and Cheesy
- Easy Baked Zucchini with Parmesan
Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey
- ½ bell pepper chopped
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ½ cup onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 tsp fresh parsley chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 400F and grease a large baking dish with cooking spray. Coat a large rectangular baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Half the zucchini lengthwise and carefully scoop out the pulp. Arrange the zucchini in the baking dish and sprinkle with salt, oregano, and rosemary. Alternatively, you can use Italian seasoning.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat add the oil and brown the ground beef, onion, red bell pepper, and garlic. Drain the excess fat and stir in marinara sauce. Season the beef sauce with salt and pepper. Cover and let it simmer at a lower temperature for 10 minutes.
- Fill each zucchini shell with the beef filling, then top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until zucchini is soft and cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley, and enjoy.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes:
I am excited to try this recipe so much I am making it for dinner tonight. The recipe calls for bell pepper but I didn’t find it in the instructions. I did saute them with the onion and garlic. If I overlooked the peppers please forgive me. They are smelling so good.