This is the BEST Cauliflower Mac and Cheese and is a family favorite, children approved. It uses cauliflower in place of pasta, a super creamy sauce made of a combination of cheeses and a mix of spices to enhance the taste. It’s definitely the ultimate rich and creamy keto cauliflower recipe that’s super comforting, easy to make, and perfect for dinner or as a festive side dish.
Cauliflower is an excellent substitute in tons of recipes that call for pasta, potatoes, and you can even make rice or cauliflower pizza.
Will it taste the same? Honestly, no, but its neutral taste fits well in so many low carb recipes.
You won’t miss pasta with this delicious cauliflower mac n cheese.
It’s amazing to be on keto while still enjoying all the comfort food!
- Is Mac and Cheese Keto?
- Reasons You’ll Love This Keto Mac And Cheese Recipe
- Ingredients in Cauliflower Mac and Cheese Recipe
- How to Make Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Tips for The Best Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Carbs are in Cauliflower
- How To Store
- Other Cauliflower Recipes
- The Best Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
Is Mac and Cheese Keto?
No, regular mac and cheese is not keto-friendly because it’s made with pasta that’s high in carbs and it’s also highly processed. But, if you miss your favorite pasta dinner, I’ve got you covered with this delicious low carb keto mac and cheese that’s super easy to make and way lower in net carbs.
Yes, I’m aware that cauliflower is not macaroni, and calling this dish “mac and cheese” it’s not appropriate. But, you get the point, by replacing macaroni with cauliflower we can create an equally delicious meal that resembles the regular recipe but has fewer carbs per serving. This is great for everyone following a keto diet or looking to include more vegetables daily.
Reasons You’ll Love This Keto Mac And Cheese Recipe
- A delicious way to include more vegetables into your meal plan
- 6 basic ingredients and a few spices
- only 5 grams of net carbs per serving
- ready in less than 30 minutes
- naturally grain-free and gluten free
- no thickeners needed for the cheese sauce
- the tender cauliflower pairs perfectly with this super creamy cheese sauce
Ingredients in Cauliflower Mac and Cheese Recipe
- Cheese – For a super smooth cheese sauce, start with some high-quality, sharp cheddar, and then add another of your favorite cheese. I chose Gruyere cheese, but you can use White Cheddar, Monterey Jack, etc.
- Cauliflower – You’ll need about one medium head of cauliflower chopped into small, bite-sized florets. Frozen cauliflower can also be used, but make sure to defrost it first.
- Heavy Cream adds that extra creaminess and helps blend all the ingredients.
- Seasonings such as garlic powder, paprika, and black pepper add a distinct but not overpowering note to the sauce. Feel free to play around and add your favorite seasonings.
How to Make Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
The secret is the sauce, which is so smooth and creamy because it’s a combination of butter, three types of cheese, heavy cream, and spices. It will naturally thicken into this really creamy low carb cheese sauce that’s perfect for pasta.
Here’s everything you need to do to make keto cauliflower mac and cheese:
- Boil the cauliflower until tender but still a little crunchy or to your desired texture. Drain well and set aside.
- Make the cheese sauce – Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add in the heavy cream, and stir to combine.
- Once hot, add the softened cream cheese, and spices. Continue stirring until fully incorporated.
- Reduce the heat and add in shredded cheese.
- Combine the low carb cheese over the “cauliflower” pasta.
- Enjoy – Serve hot, topped with green onions of crispy bacon. Yum!
Tips for The Best Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Grate your cheese at home. To make sure your cheese is going to melt properly and have the best flavor possible, take this extra step. I promise it’s a game-changer.
- DO NOT ADD CHEESE TO THE EXTREMELY HOT SAUCE. When adding the grated cheese, it’s VITAL to reduce the heat and wait until the sauce stops boiling. If you add cheese to the boiling sauce, you will end up with a gritty texture.
- Use your favorite cheese – I chose cheddar and Gruyere, but you can change things up and make different combinations.
- Drain well the cauliflower to avoid watery mac and cheese. You can also pat dry with clean paper towels.
Carbs are in Cauliflower
According to USDA One cup of cauliflower or about 100g of cauliflower florets has the following nutritional profile:
- 5 grams of carbohydrates
- 2 grams of dietary fiber
- 3 grams of net carbs
- 25 calories
- 2 grams of protein
How To Store
- Refrigerator – Store leftovers for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
- Freeze – Not the ideal way to store but you can freeze individual servings, completely wrapped for up to 3 months. Once ready to serve, thaw in the fridge overnight, and reheat in the microwave. If the cheese sauce separates, give it a quick stir and enjoy.
Other Cauliflower Recipes
- Garlic Butter Whole Roasted Cauliflower Recipe
- Easy Creamy Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
- Loaded Cauliflower Bake with Cheddar and Bacon
- Low Carb and Keto Zuppa Toscana
- Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower Recipe
The Best Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- 1 head cauliflower cut into bite-sized florets
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1 cup shredded cheddar divided
- ½ cup Gruyere cheese
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices bacon cooked and crumbled (optional)
- ¼ cups sliced green onions optional
- In a medium pot, add the cauliflower florets and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook for 5-10 minutes or until the cauliflower is fork-tender. Drain the water and set aside.
- In a non-stick skillet over medium heat, add butter, heavy cream, cream cheese, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. Stir well until the cream cheese is well incorporated.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the shredded cheddar and Gruyere cheese, and stir until the cheese is completely melted.
- Pour the cheese over the cauliflower and stir well to combine.
- Sprinkle crumbled bacon, sliced green onions and enjoy immediately.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: