This is the BEST Cauliflower Mac and Cheese and is a family favorite, children approved. It uses cauliflower in place of pasta, a super creamy sauce made if a combination of cheeses, and a mix of spices to enhance the taste. It’s definitely the ultimate rich and creamy cauliflower recipe that’s super comforting, easy to make, and perfect for dinner or as a festive side dish.
Cauliflower is an excellent substitute in tons of recipes that call for pasta, potatoes, and you can even make rice or pizza.
Will it taste the same? Honestly, no, but its neutral taste fits well in so many low carb recipes.
You won’t miss pasta with this delicious cauliflower mac n cheese.
It’s amazing to be on keto while still enjoying all the comfort food!
Ingredients for the Perfect Mac and Cheese
- Cheese – For a super smooth cheese sauce, start with some high-quality, sharp cheddar and then add another of your favorite cheese. I chose Gruyere cheese, but you can use White Cheddar, Monterey Jack, etc.
- Cauliflower – You’ll need about one medium head of cauliflower chopped into small, bite-sized florets.
- Heavy Cream adds that extra creaminess and helps blend all the ingredients.
- Seasonings such as garlic powder, paprika, pepper add a distinct but not overpowering note to the sauce. Feel free to play around and add your favorite seasonings.
How to Make Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
The secret is the sauce, which is so smooth and creamy because it’s a combination of butter, three types of cheese, heavy cream, and spices. It will naturally thicken into this really creamy low carb cheese sauce that’s perfect for pasta.
Here’s everything you need to do to make the most fantastic sauce for this creamy cauliflower:
- Boil the cauliflower until for tender but still a little crunchy or to your desired texture. Drain well and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add in the heavy cream, and stir to combine.
- Once hot, add the softened cream cheese, spices and continue stirring until fully incorporated.
- Reduce the heat and add in shredded cheese.
- Pour over the “cauliflower” pasta.
- Serve hot, topped with green onions of crispy bacon. Yum!
Tips for a Creamy Cheese Sauce
- Grate your cheese at home. To make sure your cheese is going to melt properly and have the best flavor possible, take this extra step. I promise it’s a game-changer.
- DO NOT ADD CHEESE TO THE EXTREMELY HOT SAUCE. When adding the grated cheese, it’s VITAL to reduce the heat and wait until the sauce stops boiling. If you add cheese to the boiling sauce, you will end up with a gritty texture.
- Use your favorite cheese – I chose cheddar and Gruyere, but you can change things up and make different combinations.
How many carbs are in cauliflower?
According to USDA One cup of cauliflower or about 100g cauliflower florets has the following nutritional profile:
- 5 grams of carbohydrates
- 2 grams of dietary fiber
- 3 grams of net carbs
- 25 calories
- 2 grams of protein
Other Cauliflower Recipes
- Easy Creamy Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
- Loaded Cauliflower Bake with Cheddar and Bacon
- Low Carb and Keto Zuppa Toscana
- Keto Butter Chicken with a side of cauliflower rice
The Best Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- 1 head cauliflower cut into bite-sized florets
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1 cup shredded cheddar divided
- ½ cup Gruyere cheese
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices bacon cooked and crumbled (optional)
- ¼ cups sliced green onions optional
- In a medium pot, add the cauliflower florets and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook for 5-10 minutes or until the cauliflower is fork-tender. Drain the water and set aside.
- In a non-stick skillet over medium heat, add butter, heavy cream, salt, pepper. garlic powder, paprika, cream cheese. Stir well until the cream cheese is well incorporated.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the shredded cheddar and Gruyere cheese, and stir until the cheese is completely melted.
- Pour the cheese over the cauliflower and stir well to combine. Sprinkle crumbled bacon, sliced green onions and enjoy immediately.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: