Cauliflower rice is a simple recipe that can help you replace carbs from real rice. The base is cauliflower, one of those low carb vegetables that are super versatile. It is used by the low carbers to help cut carbs without sacrificing the taste.
And with no exaggeration, this recipe is perfect, way better than rice. The cauliflower absorbs well any seasonings and becomes full of flavor.
Because rice is high in carbs and forbidden in the keto diet, it’s great to have a vegetable substitute. It’s also a great way to include more servings of healthy vegetables into your daily food intake.
Do you know that one cup of rice has about 240 calories and over 50 grams carbs? That’s almost double my daily carb allowance. Replace that with rice made of raw, and it will be ten times lower in carbs. A serving of one cup cauli rice has only 5g carbs.
Basic Cauliflower Rice – Step-by-step Recipe
It’s essential to know that cauliflower has fantastic health benefits, has tons of vitamins, anti-inflammatory properties, aids digestion and detoxes the body. It won’t taste exactly like real rice but very similar, and it’s worth having this healthier alternative.
Low carb ingredients for the keto rice
To make this low carb rice, you will need only a few ingredients:
- 1 head cauliflower
- olive oil or butter
- seasonings to taste: salt & pepper
That’s it. It’s so easy to have rice on the keto diet you won’t ever think to eat really high in carbs rice.
Ways to make cauliflower rice
There are two ways you can make cauliflower rice and both of them are easy enough. Go ahead, try this recipe and let me know what you think.
1. Use a food processor
The easiest way to make cauliflower rice is to use a food processor. Use the grater blade and blitz it into small rice sized pieces.
2. Box Grater
2. Use a box grater and grate the cauliflower pieces on the part usually used for cheese. This method will take a little more effort, but the result will be the same: small white pieces similar to the size of rice.
After you have the raw cauliflower rice, all you have to do is to cook. Also, that’s very simple! Just heat 1 Tbsp fat of choice in a pan, add the cauliflower and let it cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt, pepper or as desired.
How to Make Basic Cauliflower Rice Recipe - only 5g carbs
- Chop cauliflower in four big chunks (if using a box grater) or in small pieces (if using a food processor).
- Grate the cauliflower into small pieces, similar to the white rice.
- In a pan heat the oil and add the cauliflower.
- Cook for 5 to 8 minutes stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Use cauliflower rice to replace carbs in stir-fries, fried rice or as a low carb side dish.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don't raise blood sugar.
Need Low Carb Basics?
Click the buttons below to buy low carb essentials.