The best blue cheese dressing is a creamy, rich, and tangy dressing perfect for a tasty salad or a dipping sauce for vegetables or chips. Nothing’s better than a homemade chunky blue cheese dressing that’s incredibly easy to make.
Blue Cheese Dressing Ingredients
In my books, a blue cheese dressing is better when homemade because it’s free of additives, and preservatives often found in the store-bought version. Plus, I can make it suitable for my taste, rich with chunky blue cheese crumbles.
Skip store-bought blue cheese salad dressing and gather all the ingredients needed:
- Blue cheese – I used Gorgonzola because it’s super creamy, but my top 3 cheeses to choose from are: Gorgonzola, Roquefort(strong flavor), and Stilton.
- Sour cream
- Fresh parsley – Fresh herbs add so much flavor to the dressing.
- Lemon juice – I love my dressing a little tangy, but feel free to omit and add a little sweetener if you prefer a balanced sweeter taste.
- Milk or water – Consider adding a little milk or water depending on the desired thickness. For a pourable salad dressing, add a splash of milk or water.
How to Make the Best Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing or Dipping Sauce
This real simple blue cheese dressing recipe is better than store-bought and incredibly easy to prepare at home. You probably have most of the ingredients needed in your fridge. Here’s how to make the best low carb dipping sauce at home:
- Crumble the blue cheese and place it into the bowl.
- Add mayonnaise, sour cream, seasonings, lemon juice.
- Use a fork or the back of a spoon to combine all the ingredients.
- This is the method you’ll need to follow for a hearty, chunky dressing, but if you want to make a super creamy blue cheese salad dressing then, add all the ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth. Add enough liquid to get to the desired consistency.
- Transfer the dressing into a mason jar and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving, so all the flavors combine.
Is Blue Cheese Dressing Keto?
Yes, this homemade blue cheese dressing is perfect for enjoying on keto! Since it’s made only with low carb ingredients, it comes to almost 0g of net carbs for a tablespoon of my blue cheese dressing recipe.
But are all blue cheese dressing keto? No, not any dressings are keto friendly. Most versions are made with buttermilk, which is slightly higher in carbs, so make sure to always check the nutrition facts and ingredients list on any product you but from the store.
Is Blue Cheese Dressing Low Calories?
Blue cheese dressing is made with blue cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, all ingredients that are high in calories, so this sauce is not exactly low in calories.
But, if you prefer a light blue cheese dressing, you can use low-fat mayo and Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
How to Serve Keto Blue Cheese Dressing
Serve this with:
- a thick wedge of iceberg lettuce, add some tomato slices and crispy bacon for a delicious salad.
- Dip for buffalo wings.
- Veggie dip
More Dressing Recipes
The Best Homemade Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing
- In a medium bowl, crumble blue cheese, add sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic powder. Stir until well combined using a spoon or a fork.
- The dressing is slightly thick, making it perfect for dipping. If you prefer a pourable dressing for your salads, incorporate 1-2 tbsp milk until the desired consistency.
- Transfer into a to container and cover. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, better overnight.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: