These smashed Brussels sprouts are ultra crispy with caramelized edges and loaded with parmesan cheese. Learn how to make the best holiday (but not only!) side dish using just 5 easy ingredients.
Let me introduce you to my new favorite way to cook Brussels sprouts. Roasted Brussels sprouts are super popular in our house, but if you’re looking for ultra-crispy vegetables, smashed Brussels sprouts are so easy to make.
These can be served as a side dish or a main meal by dipping them in a delicious sauce. I’m sure everyone’s going to love these crispy Brussels sprouts recipe!
Why Are You Going To Love This Smashed Brussels Sprouts Recipe
- Easy to make with only 5 ingredients and 5 minutes of prep
- The best side dish to make ahead for the holidays
- Super crispy and cheesy
- It’s a healthy, keto, and low-carb recipe.
Crispy Smashed Brussels Sprouts Ingredients
You’ll need just 5 ingredients to make this easy side dish with Brussels sprouts:
- Brussels Sprouts – Use fresh Brussels sports for the best flavor and texture. Choose sprouts that have a similar size so they cook evenly. Remove any yellow outer leaves.
- Olive oil – you can also use butter for even more flavor. It also helps the sprouts to caramelize and become super crispy on the edges.
- Garlic Powder – ads a slightly sweet and subtle garlic flavor.
- Parmesan Cheese – choose the best quality you can find. Avoid that parmesan in the bag that is already grated.
- Salt & Pepper – to taste. You have to be careful with the amount of salt since the parmesan is quite salty.
How To Make Crispy Smashed Brussels Sprouts
It’s super easy to make this delicious crispy smashed brussels sprouts if you follow a few easy directions:
- Start by preheating the oven to 425F/220C. Clean the outer leaves of the Brussels Sprouts, and wash them well to remove any dirt.
- Place the brussels sprouts in a pot of water and salt and cook them for about ten minutes.
- Remove the brussels sprouts out of the water, and pat them dry using paper towels.
- Add the brussels sprouts to a bowl with the rest of the ingredients and mix well until each brussels sprout is well covered.
- Place the brussels sprouts on a baking sheet and smash them using a measuring cup or a glass.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until golden brown.
Tips For Making The Best Crispy Smashed Brussels Sprouts
- The smaller the Brussels sprouts, the sweeter they will be, and the more caramelized.
- You can also use frozen Brussels.
- Ensure the brussels sprouts are dry before seasoning and put them in the oven; otherwise, they won’t be as crispy.
- You can add a little lemon juice over brussels sprouts for a tangy flavor.
- Add some mild chili powder, ground cumin, and a touch of cinnamon to the mix to make it a little spicier.
- Add some crispy oven bacon baked pieces and enjoy.
- Balsamic Smashed Brussels Sprouts – Add one tablespoon of balsamic vinegar over the sprouts, then bake in the oven.
- To make vegan smashed Brussels sprouts, omit the Parmesan cheese – easy and delicious.
Can I Make This Recipe In An Air Fryer?
Sure, this is a great way to prepare these smashed brussels sprouts. All you have to do is follow the directions; then air fry brussels sprouts for about 15 minutes at 350F. Flip them halfway and sprinkle with more parmesan cheese.
How To Store
- Fridge: Store smashed Brussels sprouts in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the fridge.
- Freezer: I don’t recommend freezing the brussels sprouts because they will completely change their texture and taste.
- Reheat the sprouts on a baking sheet at350°F for about 5 minutes.
Benefits Of Eating Brussels Sprouts
- Brussels Sprouts are high in fiber, which can fight constipation.
- Vitamin K, which is important for bone health and blood clotting, is abundant in Brussels sprouts.
- Brussels sprouts are a wonderful plant-based source of omega-3 fatty acids, which might be difficult to get enough of if you don’t eat fish or shellfish.
- Brussels sprouts contain antioxidants that reduce oxidative stress in the body, thus preventing chronic diseases and protecting the skin from premature aging.
More Delicious Side Dish Recipes
- Crispy Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- Air Fryer Cauliflower
- Oven Roasted Vegetables
- The Best Sautéed Mushrooms With Garlic
Crispy Smashed Brussels Sprouts
- Preheat the oven to 425F/220C.
- Place a large pot of salted water over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Add the Brussels sprouts to the boiling water and cook for 10 minutes or until fork tender.
- Drain the water and transfer to a baking sheet lined with paper towels to cool for about 5 minutes. Pat them dry and remove the paper towels.
- Drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Using the base of a glass or measuring cup, gently press down on each sprout to flatten. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Roast the smashed brussels sprouts for 25-30 minutes until the edges look golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with more Parmesan Cheese. Serve immediately with your favorite main meal.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: