These keto butter cookies are buttery, crispy on the outside, and loaded with delicious vanilla flavors. Made with basic ingredients, these sugar-free cookies melt-in-your-mouth and are perfect for the festive season.
Similar to the classic Danish cookies, these gluten free keto spritz cookies taste like real “cookies in the blue tin“. Perfectly crisp on the outside and delightfully soft on the inside, you won’t believe how closely they mimic traditional buttery delights while keeping your carb count in check.
Butter cookies belong to the classic category of shortbread biscuits, known for their rich buttery taste. These cookies are characterized by their high butter content, giving the dough a soft and pliable texture that can be easily piped rather than being traditionally cut or shaped by hand.
These grain-free cookies fill your kitchen with the festive aroma. They are a delicious addition to your cookie platter, along with keto gingerbread cookies, keto thumbprint cookies, keto snowball cookies, and keto crinkle cookies.
What’s not to love about the smell of freshly baked cookies? It’s a scent that transports you to a place of comfort and nostalgia.
What Are Butter Cookies?
Butter cookies, also known as Danish butter cookies, are a classic type of cookie that’s loved for its rich, buttery flavor and delicate, crumbly texture.
These cookies are made with simple ingredients, including butter, sugar, flour, and often a touch of vanilla extract for flavor. The dough is typically shaped into various forms, like round cookies or pressed into decorative molds, and then baked until golden brown.
They have a melt-in-your-mouth texture that makes them a favorite treat.
It’s a popular Christmas cookie recipe in various shapes and sizes; they can be sprinkled with sugar or decorated with colorful icing for added visual appeal.
The simplicity and deliciousness of butter cookies have made them a beloved classic in baking and desserts.
Reasons You’ll Love this Keto Spritz Cookies Recipe
- You can make these cookies ahead of time.
- Perfect for the holiday season.
- Easy to make with just a few low-carb ingredients
- Naturally gluten-free and sugar-free.
- Have a delightful texture, with a slightly crispy exterior and a soft, crumbly interior, making them a pleasure to eat.
- Has only 2g net carbs per serving.
- They are perfect for a grab-and-go sweet treat or snack.
- Made using only one bowl.
Ingredients Needed and Substitutions
These gluten-free butter cookies require only 7 ingredients that you may already have in your pantry. Here is a list of everything you will need:
- Coconut Flour is used to absorb moisture and give the cookies a crumbly texture.
- Almond flour – Provides a nutty, slightly sweet flavor to the cookies.
- Egg – Acts as a binding agent in the cookie dough, helping to hold the ingredients together.
- Butter – Adds a rich, buttery flavor to the cookies.
- Sweetener – feel free to use your favorite powdered low-carb sweetener such as Erythritol, Swerve, Monk Fruit, or Allulose.
- Vanilla Extract – enhances the flavor of the cookies with its sweet, aromatic, and slightly floral notes.
- Xanthan Gum – Acts as a binder and thickener, helping to improve the texture of these gluten-free and keto-baked butter cookies.
How To Make Keto Butter Cookies
These delicious sugar-free butter cookies are extremely delicious and easy to make in such a short time. So check the list of ingredients and follow the next steps to enjoy the best cookies you have ever tried.
Make the Keto Butter Cookies Dough
Blend the softened butter, egg yolk, vanilla extract, and powdered sweetener in a mixing bowl. Mix for approximately 1 minute until the mixture is smooth, fluffy, and airy. This step influences the cookies’ texture.
Add the almond and coconut flour and the xanthan gum to the mixture. Blend until the ingredients are fully combined. Take a moment to taste the dough and adjust the sweetener to your preference.
Form The Cookies
Transfer the cookie dough into a piping bag fitted with your preferred nozzle. Pipe the dough onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Be mindful not to flatten the dough too much, as this can make the cookies fragile. Leave space between each cookie, which will spread a bit during baking.
Bake to Perfection
Transfer the cookie sheet to the oven and bake for approximately 10-12 minutes or until the cookies are lightly browned on top.
Dip them in melted dark chocolate and decorate with sprinkles for a more festive look.
Cool for Best Texture
After baking, allow the almond flour butter cookies to cool completely on the baking sheet before handling.
Remember that they can be fragile while hot, but they’ll become crisp as they cool.
Tips For Making The Best Keto Butter Cookies
- Use high-quality almond and coconut flour, butter, and sweeteners to ensure the best taste and texture.
- Accurate measurements are crucial. Use measuring cups and spoons for precision, especially with flour and sweeteners.
- Ensure that the butter is softened but not melted. This allows for proper creaming and texture in the dough.
- Be mindful not to flatten the cookie dough too much when piping it onto the baking sheet. Maintaining some thickness ensures the cookies stay intact.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely on the baking sheet before handling. They are fragile when hot but will become crisp as they cool.
To make traditional keto butter cookies, you’ll need the following equipment:
- Electric Mixer or Hand Mixer: While you can mix the dough by hand, an electric mixer or hand mixer will make the process much easier and ensure a smoother dough.
- Piping Bag with Tips: Since butter cookies are often piped into various shapes, you’ll need a piping bag with different tips to create different designs. Choose a sturdy piping bag with your preferred tip, such as the Ateco #827 or Wilton 1M. Use this piping setup to create 1 1/2-inch circles of cookie dough.
- Cooling Rack: After baking, you’ll transfer the cookies to a cooling rack to cool and set them properly.
To customize the flavor and texture, you can add various ingredients to your Keto Butter Cookies recipe. Here are some suggestions:
- Sugar-Free Chocolate Chips: Add a handful of sugar-free chocolate chips to create Keto Chocolate Chip Butter Cookies. This addition provides a delightful chocolate flavor.
- Chopped Nuts: Pecans, walnuts, or almonds can be a great addition. Chopped nuts add a nice crunch and enhance the nutty flavor of the cookies.
- Citrus Zest: For a zesty twist, incorporate the zest of a lemon, orange, or lime. Citrus zest adds a refreshing and aromatic dimension to the cookies.
- Cocoa Powder: Mix unsweetened cocoa powder into the dough to make Keto Chocolate Butter Cookies. This results in a rich, chocolatey flavor and darker color.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon can infuse the cookies with warm, comforting spice. Cinnamon works well with the buttery base.
- Coconut: Shredded unsweetened coconut can provide a tropical twist, making Keto Coconut Butter Cookies.
- Room-Temperature: you can store these gluten-free butter cookies in an airtight jar or container at room temperature.
- Freezer: the recipe for these cookies is also freezer-friendly. After completely chilling the cookies, please place them in a ziplock bag and freeze them for up to six months.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Prevent My Keto Cookies From Spreading Too Much?
To prevent excessive spreading, make sure your butter is not too soft, and refrigerate the dough for a short time before baking. Also, be mindful of the spacing on the baking sheet.
Can I Make This Recipe Ahead Of Time?
Sure, you can double or triple the recipe and save half of the dough wrapped in plastic foil in the fridge or freezer until you want to enjoy some freshly baked soft cookies.
More Keto Cookies
- Coconut Flour Cookies
- Foolproof Keto Sugar Cookies – 1g net carbs
- Keto Gingerbread Loaf with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Keto Chocolate Chip Cookies
Keto Butter Cookies
- Preheat your oven: Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix the wet ingredients: In a bowl, combine softened butter, egg yolk, vanilla extract, and powdered sweetener. Stir for about a minute until it's smooth and fluffy.
- Add dry ingredients: Mix in almond and coconut flour and xanthan gum until well blended. Taste the dough and adjust the sweetener if needed.
- Prepare the dough: Place the cookie dough into a piping bag. Pipe the dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Please don't make them too flat; leave some space as they'll spread during baking.
- Bake: Pop them in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned on top.
- Cool down: Let the cookies cool completely. They're fragile when hot but will become crispy as they cool.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: