These flavorful keto falafel balls are made with a combination of cauliflower, almond flour, herbs, and spices, providing a nutritious and satisfying alternative to traditional chickpea falafels. Learn how to make crispy on the outside, tender on the inside low carb falafel.
Get ready to have your taste buds blown away by these incredible keto falafels! You won’t believe that they’re made with cauliflower, but trust me, they taste just like the real deal.
Picture this: crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, and bursting with flavor from a perfect blend of spices and fresh parsley.
Imagine sinking your teeth into a gluten free falafel that’s crispy and golden on the outside, giving you that satisfying crunch with every bite.
As you take a bite, the falafel reveals its tender and flavorful center, a delightful surprise that will leave you wanting more. It’s the ultimate keto appetizer, snack, side dish, or even a star on its own.
And guess what? Each low carb falafel ball has just 1.25 NET CARBS, making it even more irresistible!
What Is Falafel?
Falafel is a popular Middle Eastern dish consisting of small, fried balls made from chickpeas and fava beans, seasoned with aromatic herbs and spices like cumin, coriander, and parsley.
Traditionally, falafel is served on tortilla bread with vegetables, tahini, and hummus, or enjoyed as it is with your favorite dipping sauce.
Is Falafel Keto-Friendly?
While falafel is a versatile and tasty snack enjoyed by many, it can be challenging to find a low-carb option as chickepeas are not keto. Our low-carb keto falafel recipe solves this problem by using naturally low-carb ingredients, resulting in a falafel with only 1.25g net carbs per serving. Now you can satisfy your falafel cravings without compromising your ketogenic lifestyle.
Why You’ll Love This Low Carb Falafel Recipe
- Versatile: Enjoy these falafel balls as a snack, appetizer, or main dish.
- Meal Prep: Prepare the falafel ahead of time for convenience.
- Low-Carb Ingredients: Our recipe uses naturally low-carb ingredients to keep your carb count in check.
- Authentic Flavor with Fewer Carbs: Experience the authentic taste of falafel while reducing your carb intake.
- Packed with Healthy Fats, Protein, and Fiber: These falafel balls provide a nutrient-rich snack.
- Quick and Easy: You can whip up a batch of these falafel in less than 30 minutes.
To create the best low-carb keto falafel, gather the following ingredients:
- Cauliflower – Say hello to our main ingredient! We’ve swapped traditional chickpeas for cauliflower, and it works wonders. Cauliflower is low in carbs and packed with fiber, adding a unique twist to the flavor and texture of the falafels.
- Onion – You’ll need one medium onion to add that extra depth of flavor.
- Garlic – Use fresh garlic cloves for an intense and delicious flavor.
- Parsley – Use fresh parsley to add a fresh and vibrant flavor to the falafel mixture.
- Almond Flour – Almond flour not only adds a delightful nutty flavor, but it also contributes to the perfect texture of the falafels.
- Eggs – The egg acts as the binding agent, ensuring that all the ingredients come together to create the perfect falafel mixture. It’s the glue that holds everything in place.
- Xanthan Gum – This little superhero is our secret weapon. As a thickening agent, xanthan gum ensures that the falafel mixture sticks together perfectly, giving you beautifully formed falafel balls every time.
- Turmeric – Turmeric adds a warm and vibrant hue, along with its unique earthy taste, to make your falafels extra special.
- Cumin – Ah, the soul of Middle Eastern cuisine! Cumin brings a warm and earthy flavor to the falafels, making them irresistible. It’s the secret spice that adds that extra kick you’re craving.
- Salt – Used to enhance all the flavors.
How To Make Low Carb Keto Falafel
This is one of the easiest low carb keto falafel recipes you will ever try. Here is everything you need to do:
Start by preheating the oven to 400F/200C, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Prepare The Cauliflower
Now, let’s dive into the cauliflower preparation. Start by removing the leaves from the cauliflower. Give it a good rinse, then cut it into florets.
Place these florets in a food processor and pulse until they reach a rice consistency. Once achieved, set them aside and prepare to be amazed by the magic we’ll create with them.
Make the Falafel Mixture
Now, it’s time to infuse our keto falafel nuggets with incredible flavor. In the same food processor, add the medium chopped onion, garlic cloves, and fresh parsley. Blend until finely chopped and their delightful aromas fill the air.
Bring back the cauliflower rice and add it to the food processor along with the almond flour, large eggs, xanthan gum, ground turmeric, ground cumin, salt, and oregano.
Blend until all the ingredients are well combined, creating a cohesive mixture that will make mouthwatering falafels.
Extra Tip: Feel free to experiment with additional herbs and spices to suit your taste preferences. You can consider adding a pinch of paprika or a dash of chili powder for an extra kick!
Shape The Falafel Balls
It’s time to form our falafels. Take about 2 tablespoons of the mixture and form it into balls. Place the falafel balls onto the prepared baking sheet, ready to be transformed into golden delights.
Extra tip: Wetting your hands with water can help prevent the mixture from sticking as you shape the falafels
Bake keto falafels for approximately 20 minutes, or until they become golden brown and crispy on the outside.
Tips For Making The Best Low Carb Keto Falafel Recipe
- Don’t overmix the falafel mixture: When combining the ingredients in the food processor, be careful not to overmix. Overmixing can lead to a dense and dry texture. Instead, blend the ingredients until they are just combined for a light and fluffy falafel.
- Chill the mixture before shaping: If you have time, refrigerate the falafel mixture for about 20-30 minutes before shaping the balls. Chilling the mixture helps it firm up, making it easier to form uniform falafel balls that hold their shape during baking.
- Use parchment paper: Line your baking sheet with parchment paper to prevent the falafels from sticking and to make cleanup easier.
- Use a cookie scoop: You can use a medium cookie scoop to easily form the falafel balls and ensure they are the same size.
- You can make falafel a wrap using a low-carb tortilla, your favorite sauce, and vegetables.
- Make your favorite salad and enjoy it with these delicious falafels.
- Enjoy these falafels as an appetizer or snack with your favorite dipping sauce. Tzatziki sauce is our favorite.
Storing These Low Carb Keto Falafel Leftovers
- Fridge: you can store any falafel leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Freezer: This gluten-free falafel is also freezer-friendly. So if you have any leftovers, place them on a baking sheet and freeze until firm. Then transfer the falafel to a freezer-safe bag and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Make-ahead and freeze: If you want to save time, you can prepare a larger batch of falafels and freeze the uncooked shaped balls. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, freeze until firm, then transfer them to a freezer-safe bag. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to enjoy, simply bake from frozen, adding a few extra minutes to the baking time.
- To Reheat: You can reheat these falafel leftovers in the oven or microwave for a couple of minutes until heated. Use them to create flavorful meal options throughout the week, such as falafel bowls, wraps, or as a protein-rich topping for your favorite salad.
Can I Make Air Fryer Keto Falafel?
Sure, prepare and form the falafel balls as we did in this recipe, then grease your air fryer basket with cooking spray and arrange the falafel in a single layer.
Cook for 10-12 minutes at 400F or until golden and crispy, flipping them halfway through cooking.
More Cauliflower Recipes
- Cauliflower Potato Salad
- Super Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- Cheesy Cauliflower Steak
- Cheesy Cauliflower Steak
- Garlic Butter Whole Roasted Cauliflower Recipe
The Best Low Carb Keto Falafel
- Preheat your oven to 400F/200C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Begin by preparing the cauliflower. Cut it into florets and place them in a food processor. Pulse until the cauliflower reaches a rice-like consistency, then set it aside.
- In the same food processor, add 1 medium chopped onion, 2 garlic cloves, and 1/4 cup fresh parsley. Blend until they are finely chopped.
- Return the cauliflower rice to the food processor and add 1/2 cup almond flour, 2 large eggs, 1 tsp xanthan gum, 1/2 tsp ground turmeric, 1/2 tbsp ground cumin, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp oregano. Blend until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Take 2 tablespoons of the mixture and shape it into falafel balls. Place the falafel balls onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the falafel in the preheated oven for approximately 18- 20 minutes, or until they turn golden brown.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.