Ready in 30 minutes, this easy Monterey chicken tastes exactly like the one from Chili’s but with fewer carbs. Just think about a juicy chicken breast smothered in barbecue sauce, topped with melted cheese, bacon, and tomatoes; sounds delicious right?
This recipe for Monterey chicken is so easy to make that I like to prepare it in advance and enjoy it anytime I have a busy day. So made in only 30 minutes with naturally low-carb ingredients and great for meal prep – what else could you ask from a chicken recipe?
I love chicken recipes, and I always love to try new ones. So, starting from Creamy Mushroom and Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast, Mediterranean Chicken Skillet, Million Dollar Chicken Casserole Recipe, and many others, chicken recipes are always a hint for someone who wants to surprise their loved ones.
What Is Monterey Chicken?
Monterey Chicken is a well-known recipe in Chillis Restaurant made from chicken breast, bacon, bbq sauce, cheese, and tomatoes served with mashed potatoes, gravy, and veggies.
Why Are You Going To Love This Recipe
- It’s easy to make in only 30 minutes.
- It’s made from naturally low-carb ingredients
- Perfect for meal prep – You can make this recipe for those busy days ahead of time.
- Loaded with delicious flavors.
Ingredients For Monterey Chicken
Another great thing about this recipe is that it requires only a few easy ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen. Here is a list of everything you will need:
- Chicken Breast – This recipe calls for chicken breasts, but you can use boneless chicken thighs.
- Salt&Pepper – to taste.
- Garlic Powder – for an extra flavor. You can also use onion powder.
- Barbecue Sauce – you can make your barbeque sauce at home or buy it from the store.
- Monterey Jack Cheese – feel free to replace it with your favorite cheese, like mozzarella or cheddar cheese.
- Bacon – you will need to crumble bacon for a crunchy texture and extra flavor.
- Tomato – you can use your favorite type of tomato.
- Green Onion – You can also use scallions to garnish and boost color and flavor to the recipe.
How To Make This Monterey Chicken
You will love this recipe for Monterey chicken once you see how easy it is to prepare it. Here is all you have to do:
- Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add the chicken breast to a bowl and season them with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Spread half the barbecue sauce evenly on the bottom of a casserole dish, then add the chicken breasts and brush them with the rest of the sauce.
- Bake the chicken breast for about 25 minutes.
- Remove the casserole dish from the oven, top the chicken breast with Monterey jack cheese and return the casserole to the oven for 4 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Remove the Monterey chicken from the oven and garnish it with chopped tomatoes, green onion, and crumbled bacon.
Tips & Variations For Making The Best Monterey Chicken
- You can sprinkle red pepper chili flakes over the chicken for a spicy flavor.
- Feel free to use a mix of your favorite types of cheese.
- You can choose to grill or sear your chicken breasts for 3 minutes on each side before adding them to the casserole for an intense flavor.
The best way to serve this delicious Monterey chicken is with your favorite sides. Here is a list of our favorite ideas:
- Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
- Cauliflower Rice
- Air Fryer Asparagus
- Whole Roasted Cauliflower
- Fridge – you can store any leftovers from this Monterey chicken in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
To reheat, add the leftovers on a microwave-safe plate and microwave them for 2 minutes.
- Freezer – this recipe is also freezer-friendly. So you can store the leftovers in an airtight container (without the garnish ingredients) in the freezer for up to one month.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long To Cook Chicken?
I usually cook chicken breasts at 400 F to seal the juices and use an instant meat thermometer to ensure it’s cooked through.
So you will know that your chicken is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
Can I Make This Recipe Ahead Of Time?
You certainly can; this recipe for Monterey chicken is great to make as meal prep. First, prepare and cook the chicken as we did in this recipe, then store it wrapped in plastic foil in the fridge.
Then when you want to serve it, add the casserole dish to the preheated oven for about 5 minutes, garnish with fresh tomatoes, green onion, and bacon and enjoy.
- 4 chicken breasts boneless and skinless
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- 4 slices bacon cooked and crumbled up
- 1 medium tomato finely diced
- 1 green onion
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Add the chicken breast in a bowl, the chicken breasts, salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and toss to combine.
- Add half the barbecue sauce on the bottom of a casserole dish and spread evenly, then arrange the chicken breasts in the dish.
- Brush the remaining sauce over the chicken breasts, transfer the casserole dish to the oven, and bake for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, remove the casserole from the oven and top the chicken breasts with shredded cheese.
- Return the casserole to the oven, and place it under the broiler for another 3 minutes.
- Garnish with crumbled bacon, diced tomatoes, and green onions.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: