This Million Dollar Chicken casserole is the definition of comfort food. Made with just a few simple ingredients, it comes together super quickly. The chicken breast is topped with a creamy mixture of cheese, and crispy bacon, then roasted until juicy and creamy.
When it comes to quick weeknight dinners, casseroles are always the answer. Just like this chicken bacon ranch casserole or my cheeseburger casserole, this million chicken bake takes just 5 minutes to whip up and less than 40 minutes to bake in the oven. So Easy!
This chicken casserole recipe requires ingredients that I’m sure you always have on hand. So even if I’m in a rush, I can mix them together and provide a low-carb dinner that everyone loves.
Reasons You’ll Love This Chicken Casserole Recipe
- Comforting and satisfying: It’s perfect for those days when you crave a hearty and delicious meal.
- Quick and easy: With just a few simple ingredients and straightforward instructions, this recipe is super easy to make. It’s perfect for busy weeknights or when you want to whip up a delicious meal in no time.
- Versatile: The recipe calls for chicken breasts or pork chops, but you can easily substitute them with boneless chicken thighs if you prefer.
- Creamy and cheesy: The combination of cream cheese and shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese creates a creamy, cheesy sauce that coats the chicken beautifully.
- Bacon lovers’ delight: The addition of crispy bacon brings a burst of smoky and savory flavor to the casserole.
- Customizable: While the recipe provides a delicious base, you can customize it to suit your preferences. You can add vegetables like bell peppers, broccoli, or cauliflower to make it even more nutritious.
Million Dollar Chicken Casserole Ingredients
It’s super quick to prepare this chicken recipe, and you need just a few ingredients that, when combined together, yield the best recipe:
- Chicken Breast – This recipe calls for chicken breasts, but you can also use boneless chicken thighs instead.
- Cream Cheese – To ensure a smooth and creamy texture, make sure your cream cheese is at room temperature before mixing it with the other ingredients.
- Mayonnaise – The mayonnaise in this recipe adds a velvety richness to the dish, complementing the other flavors and enhancing the creamy consistency
- Crispy Bacon – For that irresistible bacon crunch, it’s best to prepare the bacon ahead of time. This is how I love to cook bacon in the oven.
- Green Onions – Green onions provide a refreshing and mildly onion-like flavor to the dish. If you don’t have green onions, you can substitute them with chives or chopped parsley for a similar taste and a touch of freshness.
- Cheddar & Mozzarella Cheese – The combination of cheddar and mozzarella cheese adds a delightful melty texture and a deliciously cheesy taste to the chicken casserole. However, feel free to get creative and use your favorite shredded cheese, such as Colby Jack or any other variety you enjoy.
- Salt & Pepper – Seasoning with salt and pepper is essential to bring out the flavors of the dish.
How To Make Million Dollar Chicken Bake
To prepare this delicious million-dollar chicken bake, you have to follow just a few simple, easy steps. Here is everything you have to do:
Make the cheese mixture
In a bowl, combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise, bacon crumbles, green onion, and shredded cheese. Mix everything together until well combined and creamy.
Assemble the casserole
Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. You can also season the chicken with Chicken seasoning for even more flavor.
Place the seasoned chicken breasts in a baking dish, arranging them in a single layer. Spoon the prepared cheese mixture over the chicken breasts, ensuring they are fully covered. Sprinkle additional shredded cheese on top for that ooey-gooey goodness.
Bake the casserole
Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Place the assembled casserole in the preheated oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
The cooking time may vary slightly depending on the thickness of the chicken breasts, so check for doneness by ensuring the chicken is no longer pink in the center.
Enjoy: For an extra touch, garnish with more bacon crumbles and chopped green onions.
Tips and Variations
- Use evenly sized chicken breasts: To ensure that your chicken cooks evenly, try using chicken breasts of the same size. This will help them cook through at the same rate, resulting in perfectly tender and juicy chicken in every bite.
- Cover with aluminum foil: To keep the moisture locked in and prevent the casserole from burning, I recommend covering it with aluminum foil before baking. This helps create a steamy environment that ensures the chicken stays moist and the flavors meld together beautifully.
- Get creative with veggies: While the million-dollar chicken bake is already delicious on its own, you can add even more flavor and nutrition by incorporating some veggies. Consider adding vibrant red bell peppers, steamed broccoli, or cauliflower to the casserole. Not only will this enhance the taste, but it will also add a pop of color and some extra vitamins and minerals to your meal.
- Fridge – Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freezer – Freezing is another excellent option for storing this chicken casserole. Freeze for up to 3 months in a freezer-safe container or an airtight container. Then, reheat in the oven before serving.
How To Serve Million Dollar Chicken
You can serve this million-dollar chicken bake with a low-carb side dish. Here are some of my favorite side dishes:
- Air Fryer Asparagus
- Crispy Parmesan Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Whole Roasted Cauliflower
- Garlic Butter Mushrooms
- Baked Zucchini With Parmesan
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Make This Recipe Ahead Of Time?
Yes, you can make this recipe in advance. Make the recipe as indicated, but instead of baking it, place it on a baking pan, cover it with plastic wrap, and keep it in the refrigerator for 1-2 days.
Can I Use Chicken Thighs Instead Of Chicken Breast?
Sure, you can also use chicken thighs instead of chicken breast. However, depending on their thickness, you may need to adjust the cooking time.
How Can I Tell When My Million Dollar Chicken Bake Is Done?
Use an instant-read meat thermometer or a probe thermometer to determine if your chicken is done. Chicken is cooked when the internal temperature reaches 165F.
More Chicken Recipes
- Crispy Baked Chicken Leg Quarters
- Cilantro Lime Grilled Chicken with Avocado Salsa
- Cashew Chicken Stir-Fry Recipe (20 minutes!)
- Easy Chicken Shawarma
Million Dollar Chicken Casserole
- 2 lbs chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 6 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 8 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F/ 180˚C and grease a 9X13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, mayonnaise, crumbled bacon, chopped green onion, and half of the cheese.
- Place the chicken breast in the prepared baking dish in a single layer. Top with the creamy cheese mixture and the remaining cheeses.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until chicken is cooked and reaches 165˚F internal temperature.
- Garnish with more crispy bacon and green onions, if desired!
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: