Savor the irresistible flavors of pizza with these delicious zucchini pizza boats! Indulge guilt-free in this low carb zucchini pizza boats recipe loaded with all the classic pizza flavors. These healthy zucchini boats are not only incredibly tasty but also incredibly easy to make in just 30 minutes.
This mouth-watering zucchini pizza boats recipe is the perfect way to use up those extra zucchini.
If you’ve never tried zucchini pizza boats before, give it a go – you won’t be disappointed! With only a few simple steps involved, it doesn’t take long to whip up this tasty meal. And when it’s done cooking, you’ll have an incredibly flavorful dinner ready in no time at all.
Why Are You Going To Love This Zucchini Pizza Boats Recipe
- Loaded with delicious pizza flavors: The combination of zucchini, marinara sauce, melted cheese, and flavorful toppings creates a delicious and satisfying flavor reminiscent of a classic pizza
- Family-Friendly: Zucchini pizza boats are a hit with both kids and adults.
- Made with naturally low-carb ingredients.
- Quick and easy to make in under 30 minutes from start to finish.
- Customizable. Feel free to add your favorite toppings. Zucchini boats work well for lunch, dinner, or even as a snack or appetizer. You can also pair them with a side salad or soup for a more well-rounded meal.
- A great way to get more vegetables in your meal plan while still enjoying some tasty pizza flavor.
What are Zucchini Pizza Boats?
Zucchini Pizza Boats are hollowed-out zucchini filled with all of your favorite pizza toppings – anything from pepperoni and cheese to olives or mushrooms. It’s a delicious and healthy way to enjoy pizza without the extra carbs from the dough.
Then bake them until the zucchini is cooked, and the toppings are melted into a cheesy goodness. The result? A scrumptious dish that everyone can enjoy guilt-free!
Ingredients For These Zucchini Pizza Boats
The ingredients required for this recipe are extremely easy to find in almost any grocery store. So take a look, make your list, and prepare this delicious dish.
- Zucchini – You will need medium fresh zucchini similar in size to bake evenly.
- Olive Oil – feel free to replace it with any other vegetable oil you like.
- Salt&Pepper – to taste. Feel free to add other seasonings like dried oregano or Italian seasoning.
- Marinara Sauce – use your favorite marinara sauce; you can make it at home or buy it from the store. Just make sure that you read the label before buying it.
- Mozzarella Cheese – you can replace it with your favorite shredded cheese or use a mix of both.
- Pepperoni – you can replace it with sausage or ham.
How To Make These Zucchini Pizza Boats
What could be easier to prepare than this zucchini pizza boats recipe? Just prepare all the ingredients, stuff the zucchini, and let the oven complete the job. So let’s see how to make it:
Preheat The Oven
Preheat the oven to 400F/200C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Prepare The Zucchini
Cut each zucchini lengthwise and scoop out the flesh creating a shell for the pizza stuffing.
Stuff The Zucchini Pizza Boats
Arrange the zucchini cut side up into the baking sheet. Season them with salt and pepper.
Add the marinara sauce to each zucchini, then top with shredded mozzarella cheese and pepperoni.
Bake The Zucchini Pizza Boats
Drizzle the olive oil over the stuffed zucchini and bake them in the oven for 15 minutes or until the zucchini are soft but still crisp and the cheese melty and bubbly.
Garnish with fresh chopped parsley, and enjoy!!
Toppings For Zucchini Pizza Boats
When it comes to topping these zucchini pizza boats, you can really let your imagination go wild! From classic ingredients like pepperoni and mozzarella cheese to more creative options like grilled pineapple and feta – anything goes. If you want a cheesy version, try adding some ricotta or Parmesan for an extra creamy texture. You could even add some cooked vegetables like bell peppers or mushrooms if you’re looking for something healthy.
For those who prefer a meaty option, Italian sausage is always a great choice – either crumbled up and spread over the boats before baking or pre-cooked sausages cut into slices that are added after baking. And don’t forget about all the delicious herbs too – oregano, basil, parsley, garlic…the possibilities are endless!
Tips For Making The Best Zucchini Pizza Boats
- Don’t scoop up too much flesh so the zucchini can hold the marinara and cheese filling.
- Choose the right zucchini. Use zucchini that are medium in size and relatively straight since they are easier to scoop out and fill. Avoid those that are curved since they may not hold enough toppings.
- Don’t overfill the zucchini boats. Otherwise, the toppings will spill over while baking.
- Leave some space between each zucchini pizza boat to allow the toppings to melt and cook evenly.
- Season the zucchini boats with Italian Seasoning for an intense, delicious Italian flavor.
- Feel free to make this recipe using yellow zucchini or eggplants.
- Use a mix of your favorite cheeses instead of mozzarella cheese.
- Add some crushed red pepper flakes to the zucchini boats if you like spicy meals.
The first step is to allow them to cool down completely before transferring them into an airtight container. This will help preserve the flavors and keep it from spoiling too quickly.
- Fridge: These baked zucchini pizza boats can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
- Freezer: I don’t recommend freezing these zucchini pizza boats since they get super soggy once thawed.
Reheating – Place the zucchini pizza boats in the oven or the air fryer and reheat until warm.
How To Serve Zucchini Pizza Boats
I love to serve these zucchini pizza boats on their own as a main meal or with a side dish. Here are some delicious ideas:
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Prevent The Zucchini From Becoming Too Soggy?
To ensure that your zucchini pizza boats won’t become too soggy, you can pre-cook them for a few minutes in the oven or on the stovetop before adding the toppings. In this way, any excess moisture will be removed.
Can I Make Zucchini Pizza Boats Ahead Of Time?
Sure, you can make this recipe ahead of time and store it in the fridge for up to 5 days. Then to reheat, place the zucchini pizza boats in the oven until heated.
Is Zucchini Healthy?
Yes, zucchini is healthy! It’s a great source of dietary fiber and vitamins A and C. Plus, it has very few calories compared to other vegetables. Zucchini also contains antioxidants which are beneficial for the body. This means that by eating zucchini pizza boats, you can get all the health benefits from these veggies without feeling guilty about indulging in a delicious meal.
More Zucchini Recipes
Zucchini Pizza Boats
- Preheat the oven to 400F/200C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the zucchini lengthwise and scoop out the flesh using a spoon.
- Place the zucchini cut side up into the baking sheet.
- Season them with salt and pepper.
- Add the marinara sauce to each zucchini, then top with shredded mozzarella cheese and pepperoni.
- Drizzle with olive oil over the stuffed zucchini and bake them in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley, and enjoy!!
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.