If you’re looking for a tasty and convenient keto-friendly lunch option, consider trying out this bell pepper sandwich recipe! It takes less than 10 minutes to prepare and offers a low-carb spin on a beloved classic sandwich, complete with savory flavors that are bound to please your taste buds. Discover the insider tips for crafting the ultimate bell pepper sandwich, and savor a nutritious and delicious meal wherever you are!
Just think about a crunchy sandwich filled with your favorite ingredients, avoiding all those carbs from the bread slices. Sounds delicious, right?
What’s not to love about 2 crunch halves of red bell pepper filled with a creamy mixture of cream cheese, ham, cheese, and slices of cucumbers?
The bell pepper sandwich was originally popularized as a TikTok trend, and it quickly spread to other social media platforms such as Instagram, eventually gaining popularity across the entire internet. And for good reason – it’s a fantastic idea!
This low-carb sandwich alternative is not only easy and quick to make, but it’s also absolutely delicious.
By using bell peppers as a replacement for bread, the sandwich becomes a healthier and more nutrient-dense option while still providing a satisfying and flavorful meal. It’s a great way to incorporate more vegetables into your diet, without sacrificing taste or convenience.
Whether you’re looking for a healthy lunch option or a snack to satisfy your cravings, the bell pepper sandwich is a perfect choice. So why not give it a try and discover for yourself why this trend has taken the internet by storm?
So make this recipe and tell us how it turned out. I am pretty sure that it will become a staple in your kitchen.
What Is A Bell Pepper Sandwich?
Bell pepper sandwich is a popular recipe that has become known on social media and consists of a low-carb and keto sandwich that uses two halves of bell pepper instead of bread.
Why Are You Going To Love This Red Bell Pepper Sandwich Recipe
- This red bell pepper sandwich recipe is a real time-saver, taking only 5 minutes to prepare with minimal prep.
- With endless possibilities for customization, this sandwich recipe allows you to get creative and add your own favorite ingredients to suit your taste.
- It’s a customizable recipe. Feel free to add your favorite ingredients to the sandwich.
- It’s a delicious sandwich recipe without all those carbs from the bread.
- Loaded with delicious flavors.
- Made from healthy and naturally low-carb ingredients.
Ingredients For Keto Bell Pepper Sandwich
For this easy and delicious bell pepper recipe, you will need only a few easy-to-find ingredients you probably already have in your fridge. Here is a list of everything you will need:
- Red Bell Peppers – are the main ingredient in this recipe since they replace the bread slices. So make sure you use some fresh and crunchy red bell peppers.
- Cream Cheese – softened cream cheese to mix and spread evenly.
- Mustard – feel free to use your favorite type of mustard.
- Romain Lettuce – you can also use baby spinach or any other leaf lettuce.
- Cucumbers – fresh cucumbers cut into thin slices.
- Ham – use your favorite type of ham. Or you can replace it with cooked bacon.
- Cheese – I used provolone cheese, but any other type will work.
How To Make Keto Bell Pepper Sandwich
What’s not to love about an easy and quick sandwich recipe that’s ready in just a few minutes from start to finish? Well, this recipe it’s one of them, and here are the steps that you need to follow to create the best keto bell pepper sandwich:
Prepare The Red Bell Pepper
Choose a firm, ripe red bell pepper with a smooth surface and no soft spots or blemishes.
Cut the bell pepper in half using a sharp knife. Cut off the stem end and discard it, along with the seeds and white membrane inside the pepper.
Combine The Cream Cheese And Mustard
Add the softened cream cheese and mustard to a bowl and whisk until well combined.
Assemble The Bell Pepper Sandwich
Spread the cream cheese mixture over each bell pepper halves using a spoon.
Then add the chopped lettuce, cucumber slices, provolone cheese, and ham to the bell pepper halves.
Place the other half of the bell pepper on top to make your sandwich, and enjoy.
Tips and Variations
- You can use green, yellow, or orange pepper bell pepper for this sandwich recipe as well.
- Make sure you choose a red bell pepper with no spots or blemishes. The bell pepper should be firm with a rich red color.
- Feel free to add some seasoning to the bell pepper. Italian seasoning or dried herbs will work great with this recipe.
- You can add some extra crunch by adding radishes or crispy bacon.
- Feel free to add your favorite veggies like tomatoes or avocado.
- Add healthy fat sources such as sliced avocado, olives, nuts, or seeds to make your sandwich even more filling and nutritious.
- Replace the cream cheese with homemade guacamole.
More Delicious Toppings
Vegetarian: For a vegetarian option, use sliced cucumber, tomato, eggplant slices, and avocado and skip the deli meat. Add a sprinkle of feta cheese or a few slices of mozzarella and a drizzle of olive oil for extra flavor.
Spicy Jalapeño: Top your red bell pepper sandwich with sliced jalapeño peppers, pepper jack cheese, and a dollop of sour cream. For an added kick, sprinkle with chili powder or cayenne pepper.
Buffalo Chicken: Mix shredded cooked chicken with buffalo sauce and spread it inside the bell pepper halves. Top with blue cheese crumbles, celery slices, and a drizzle of ranch dressing.
Italian Style: Layer your red bell pepper sandwich with salami, pepperoni, sliced mozzarella cheese, and tomato. Add a sprinkle of Italian seasoning and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar for an Italian twist.
Tuna Melt: Mix canned tuna with mayonnaise, diced celery, and a squeeze of lemon juice. Spread the mixture inside the bell pepper halves and top with shredded cheddar cheese. Broil until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Fridge: you can store any red bell pepper sandwich leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Note that the bell pepper halves may become softer in texture after being stored in the refrigerator, but they will still be delicious.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Make This Recipe Ahead Of Time?
Sure, you can cut and prepare all the ingredients as we did in this recipe and store them in the fridge. Then when ready to eat, assemble the red bell pepper and enjoy.
Can I Make This Sandwich Without Bell Peppers?
Sure, if you are not a big fan of bell peppers, you can easily replace them with two slices of your favorite keto bread. But you should give a try to this recipe; after the first bite, you will be surprised by that crunchy texture and combination of delicious flavors.
Is this Keto Red Bell Pepper Sandwich Gluten-free?
Yes, this recipe is gluten-free as it uses red bell pepper halves instead of bread.
Is it Possible to Roast the Bell Peppers?
No, I would not recommend roasting or steaming the bell peppers beforehand as they may become too soft and mushy. Using raw bell peppers is the best approach.
More Bell Pepper Recipes
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Easy Stuffed Peppers
- Everything But the Bagel Cream Cheese Stuffed Mini Peppers
- Quick and Easy Shakshuka
- Sheet Pan Oven Roasted Chicken Breast and Vegetables
- Super Easy Chicken Fajitas
Bell Pepper Sandwich
- 2 medium Red bell pepper
- 1 tbsp Mustard
- 1/4 cup Cream Cheese
- 2 leaves Leaf lettuce
- 8 oz ham slices
- 4 slices Provolone cheese
- 1/2 medium cucumber sliced
- Cut the bell pepper in half using a knife, then remove the seeds and ribs.
- Add the cream cheese and mustard to a bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture over each bell pepper halves using a spoon. Then add the rest of the ingredients in any order you want.
- Place the other half of the bell pepper on top to make your sandwich, and enjoy.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.