A warm comfort food dish after a long and tiring day at work is all I need. It was such a great hit, and I had to share it with you. All my non-keto family members loved these colorful stuffed keto peppers, and there’s no wonder why.
The juicy flavored ground beef stuffing and the perfectly fresh peppers are packed with such great nutrients and vitamins.
One serving of my keto stuffed peppers provides 123% of the daily recommended intake of Vitamin C.
Let’s start cooking!
How to make keto stuffed peppers?
To make keto stuffed pepper we have to omit the rice that is usually used in the classing filling.
Shred your cheese
The pre-shredded cheese usually has added agents like potato starch to prevent clumping and has more carbohydrates.
I used aged cheddar cheese because it has a stronger taste, but you can use any kind of cheese you love.
Mozzarella would be a great substitute. Add more oregano and you will have a fabulous keto Italian meal without all the carbs from their classic bread and pasta dishes.
The ingredients, keto and simple
- 3 Medium Peppers, any color you want. I loved the red and the yellow ones.
- 1 pound ground beef
- onion & garlic
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 6 oz cheddar cheese
- salt & seasonings to taste
Take care of the Peppers
Gently wash the peppers and remove all the seeds and membranes from the inside. Sprinkle some salt over them.
The keto stuffing, lasagna without all the carbs
For the pepper’s stuffing, you will need to chop one medium onion and 2 cloves of garlic. Add them in a pan with 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat until it gets a nice golden brown color.
Use a food processor if you’re like me an cry like a baby when it comes to cutting onions.
After about 8 minutes it’s time to add the meat. While cooking, use a spatula break up the meat.
Seasonings, the most important part
I added pink Himalayan salt, chili powder, black pepper, dried oregano leaves. Let your taste buds guide you through this step. After adding the tomatoes add more seasonings if you feel like it.
This is how the mixture looks before I add the tomatoes. Smells and tastes amazing. I could easily just sprinkle some cheese on top and have a nice quick low carb lunch.
Tomatoes when it starts to feel like keto lasagna
Tomatoes are a great source of Vitamin C, Vitamin A, potassium, manganese and provide tons of fantastic health benefits.
Don’t be afraid to eat tomatoes on a ketogenic diet.
One cup of tomatoes has only 4g NET carbohydrates.
The ground beef mixture is ready to be added to the peppers.
Spoon 3-4 tablespoons stuffing in each pepper.
Sprinkle some cheese on top. Well, use all the cheese you want. Who am I to judge anyone’s cheese decisions? (just kidding.)
As all the meat is covered in delicious freshly grated cheddar cheese take these beauties to the preheated oven.
After 15 minutes take them out of the oven and sprinkle with fresh parsley.
Keto Stuffed Peppers with cheese on top
- 3 medium red yellow, green bell peppers
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2/3 cup onion 1 medium / 100g / 3.5oz
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 6 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- Rinse the peppers and cut them in half lengthwise.
- Remove any seeds and membranes.
- Peel onion and garlic. Finely chop the onion and mince the garlic.
- In a non-stick skillet over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic and cook for about 8 minutes. Stir occasionally until golden-brown and softened.
- Heat the oven to 350°F.
- Add the ground beef and the seasonings.
- Using a spatula break the meat up as it cooks.
- Let the meat cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Sir in the tomatoes and let it simmer for another 15 minutes
- Remove the stuffing from the heat.
- Evenly divide the stuffing in each half pepper.
- Sprinkle each pepper with the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and the peppers are a little bit softened.
- Cool them for 5 minutes before serving.
Have you tried my easy keto stuffed peppers recipe? Let me know how great they turned out in the comments below.
If you have any questions feel free to ask them. I am here to bring the best out of a keto diet.