A warm comfort food dish after a long and tiring day at work is all I need. It was such a great hit, and I had to share it with you. All my non-keto family members loved these colorful stuffed keto peppers, and there’s no wonder why.
The juicy flavored ground beef stuffing and the perfectly fresh peppers are packed with such great nutrients and vitamins.
One serving of my keto stuffed peppers provides 123% of the daily recommended intake of Vitamin C.
Let’s start cooking!
The ingredients for keto stuffed peppers
- 3 Medium Peppers, any color you want. I loved the red and yellow ones.
- 1 pound ground beef
- onion & garlic
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 6 oz cheddar cheese
- salt & seasonings to taste
How to make keto stuffed peppers?
To make keto stuffed pepper we have to omit the rice that is usually used in the classing filling.
- Shred your cheese!
- Take care of the Peppers. Gently wash the peppers and remove all the seeds and membranes from the inside. Sprinkle some salt over them.
- Make The keto stuffing for the peppers. It tastes like lasagna without all the carbs.
- Season the meat lasagna stuffing to taste.
- Fill the peppers with the lasagna stuffing, sprinkle cheese on top and bake for about 15-20 minutes!
That’s it – so easy and delicious!
The pre-shredded cheese usually has added agents like potato starch to prevent clumping and has more carbohydrates.
I used aged cheddar cheese because it has a stronger taste, but you can use any kind of cheese you love.
Mozzarella would be a great substitute. Add more oregano, and you will have a fabulous keto Italian meal without all the carbs from their classic bread and pasta dishes.
For the keto pepper’s stuffing, you will need to chop one medium onion and 2 cloves of garlic. Add them in a pan with 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat until it gets a nice golden brown color.
Use a food processor if you’re like me an cry like a baby when it comes to cutting onions.
After about 8 minutes it’s time to add the meat. While cooking, use a spatula break up the meat.
I added pink Himalayan salt, chili powder, black pepper, dried oregano leaves. Let your taste buds guide you through this step. After adding the tomatoes add more seasonings if you feel like it.
This is how the mixture looks before I add the tomatoes. Smells and tastes amazing. I could easily just sprinkle some cheese on top and have a nice quick low carb lunch.
Tomatoes when it starts to feel like keto lasagna.
The ground beef mixture is ready to be added to the peppers.
Spoon 3-4 tablespoons of stuffing in each pepper.
Sprinkle some cheese on top. Well, use all the cheese you want. Who am I to judge anyone’s cheese decisions? (just kidding.)
As all the meat is covered in delicious freshly grated cheddar cheese take these beauties to the preheated oven.
After 15 minutes take them out of the oven and sprinkle with fresh parsley.
Can we eat tomatoes on a ketogenic diet?
Yes, tomatoes are ok to eat. Don’t be afraid to eat tomatoes on a ketogenic diet. One cup of tomatoes has only 4g NET carbohydrates.
Tomatoes are a great source of Vitamin C, Vitamin A, potassium, manganese and provide tons of fantastic health benefits.
Are red peppers OK on a keto diet?
Red peppers are allowed and ok to eat on a ketogenic diet since they are very low in carbs and have fantastic macros.
According to USDA One cup sliced peppers contain:
- Carbohydrates: 5.5g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Calories: 24 kcal
- Protein: 0.91g
- Fats: 0.28g
Low Carb Keto Stuffed Peppers – Healthy & Easy to make
- 3 medium red yellow, green bell peppers
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2/3 cup onion 1 medium / 100g / 3.5oz
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 6 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- Rinse the peppers and cut them in half lengthwise.
- Remove any seeds and membranes.
- Peel onion and garlic. Finely chop the onion and mince the garlic.
- In a non-stick skillet over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic and cook for about 8 minutes. Stir occasionally until golden-brown and softened.
- Heat the oven to 350°F.
- Add the ground beef and the seasonings.
- Using a spatula break the meat up as it cooks.
- Let the meat cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Sir in the tomatoes and let it simmer for another 15 minutes
- Remove the stuffing from the heat.
- Evenly divide the stuffing in each half pepper.
- Sprinkle each pepper with the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and the peppers are a little bit softened.
- Cool them for 5 minutes before serving.
Have you tried my easy keto stuffed peppers recipe? Let me know how great they turned out in the comments below.
If you have any questions feel free to ask them.