This blackened chicken breast is perfectly seasoned with a mix of spices, then pan-seared to lock in the juices. Serve with your favorite sides to add a burst of flavor to any busy weeknight dinner.
Just think about a juicy and tender chicken breast made with a blend of Cajun seasoning that’s perfectly spicy and crispy on the outside but juicy on the inside.
This blackened chicken recipe is easy enough yet sure to impress everyone.
Ready in under 30 minutes, this spicy blackened chicken it’s the perfect choice for when you are looking for a chicken dinner recipe that is easy to make and can be used as a main dish or added to salads, sandwiches, wraps, or tacos.
Just think about a juicy chicken breast covered in a delicious mix of spices that, once cooked, creates a golden brown crust that gives the chicken smoky, delicious flavors.
- What Is Blackened Chicken?
- Why Are You Going To Love This Recipe For Blackened Chicken
- Ingredients For This Blackened Chicken
- How To Make This Blackened Chicken
- Tips For Making Blackened Chicken
- Storing Ideas
- Serving Ideas
- What’s the Best Temperature to Bake Chicken?
- What Does Blackened Chicken Taste Like?
- Can I Make This Recipe Ahead Of Time?
- More Chicken Recipes
- Blackened Chicken
What Is Blackened Chicken?
Originated in the southern United States, blackened Chicken is a popular Cajun dish consisting of chicken breast or thighs coated in a mixture of dried herbs and spices.
The chicken is usually cooked at high heat in a cast iron skillet, which helps to create a signature blackened appearance and smoky flavor.
The homemade blackening spice mix typically includes ingredients such as paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and dried thyme, which create a flavorful and spicy crust on the chicken as it cooks.
It’s often served with a side of rice, salads, and roasted vegetables but can be incorporated into many other recipes, such as wraps or sandwiches.
Why Are You Going To Love This Recipe For Blackened Chicken
- Super easy to make with just 5 minutes of prep.
- A healthy and delicious way to cook flavorful chicken breast.
- It’s a versatile recipe. You can serve it for dinner or lunch.
- It can be paired with many delicious side dishes.
Ingredients For This Blackened Chicken
This recipe for Blackened Chicken requires only a few easy-to-find ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen. Here is a list of everything you will need:
- Chicken Breast – use boneless, skinless chicken breasts for this recipe. You can also use chicken thighs.
- Paprika – use smoked paprika for a more intense flavor.
- Thyme – you can also use your favorite fried thyme.
- Onion and Garlic Powder – add a boost of flavor to the chicken breast.
- Salt and Pepper – to taste.
- Oil – you can also use avocado oil or any high-temperature cooking oil.
How To Make This Blackened Chicken
Once you see how easy it’s to prepare this delicious blackened chicken, you will want to make it over and over again whenever you want a quick and delicious dinner.
The instructions are quick and easy. Blackening is a cooking technique that creates a flavorful and spicy crust on meat, poultry, or fish.
Simply make a blend of seasoning, then brush the chicken breasts with oil and coat well with the spice blend.
You’ll need a cast iron skillet placed on medium-high heat.
Preheat The Oven
Start by preheating your oven at 450F/230C.
Prepare The Seasoning Mixture
Add the paprika, thyme, salt, pepper, onion, and garlic powder to a bowl and mix until well combined.
Coat the chicken
Pat dry the chicken breast with a paper towel, then brush them with oil or melted butter.
Sprinkle the seasoning mixture over the chicken breast and press with your finger to coat well.
Brown The Chicken Breast
Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat for 5 minutes until smoking hot. Once the pan is hot, pour a little vegetable oil into the skillet.
Place the chicken breast and cook for 2 minutes on each side until blackened. Make sure not to overcrowd the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side to create the black crust.
Cooking The Chicken Breast
Place the skillet in the preheated oven and cook the chicken for 10-12 minutes or until its internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Depending on the size of your chicken breast, it may need to cook more or less.
Remove the chicken breast from the oven, garnish with fresh parsley, and enjoy.
Tips For Making Blackened Chicken
- Remove the Chicken from the fridge for about 30 minutes before cooking it to ensure uniform cooking.
- Don’t overcook the chicken breast; otherwise, you will end up with dry meat.
- Use an instant-read meat thermometer to test for doneness. Chicken is done cooking when the thermometer inserted in the thickest part reaches 165°F.
- Try using chicken breast of the same size for cooking evenly. If you have any thick ones, slice them in half.
- Fridge – You can refrigerate chicken leftovers for 3-4 days in an airtight container.
- Freezer – You can also freeze the leftovers for 3–4 months if properly packed. I like to freeze them in separate smaller bags for simple leftover servings.
Reheating – If you want to reheat it, I recommend doing it in an air fryer or microwave until heated through, for about 5 minutes.
One of the best things about this blackened chicken breast is that it can be served with many side dishes to create a well-balanced meal. It goes well with just about everything.
Here are some interesting ideas that will taste wonderfully with this blackened chicken recipe:
- Cauliflower Rice
- Turnip Au Gratin
- Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
- Pico de Gallo
- Oven Roasted Vegetables
- Easy Roasted Asparagus
What’s the Best Temperature to Bake Chicken?
The best temperature to bake Chicken is 350F/175C to ensure that the Chicken will cook evenly until tender and juicy. The baking time will depend on the size and thickness of the chicken pieces.
What Does Blackened Chicken Taste Like?
This blackened chicken recipe has a bold and spicy flavor from the spice mixture.
Can I Make This Recipe Ahead Of Time?
Another great thing about this recipe is that it can be prepared in advance and enjoyed anytime when you are struggling with a busy day.
More Chicken Recipes
- Cream Cheese Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Easy Juicy Oven Baked Chicken Breast
- Garlic Butter Chicken Thighs
- Easy Juicy Oven Baked Chicken Breast
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- Preheat The oven to 450F/230C.
- Add the paprika, thyme, salt, pepper, onion, and garlic powder to a bowl and mix until well combined.
- Brush the chicken breast with olive oil.
- Sprinkle the seasoning mixture over the chicken breast and press with your finger to coat well.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, then add the chicken breast and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until blackened.
- Place the skillet in the preheated oven and cook the Chicken for 10-12 minutes until completely cooked through.
- Remove the chicken breast from the oven, garnish with fresh parsley, and enjoy.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: