This baked chicken breast recipe is simple and makes the juiciest chicken breast in just 20 minutes. Say goodbye to dry chicken and hello to perfectly tender baked chicken breast.
Stop searching for the best oven baked chicken breast recipe because this recipe requires minimal ingredients and prep time for the most flavorful boneless chicken breast in the oven.
Perfectly seasoned, then baked until golden brown, learn how to quickly cook chicken breast.
Chicken is one of our favorite proteins to have on hand for busy days, and we use leftovers to make chicken bacon ranch casserole, crack chicken, chicken salad, or a comforting white chicken chili recipe.
Chicken breast is super versatile and loaded with protein, low in fat and calories. It can be cooked in various ways to make tender and juicy meat that’s perfect for any meal.
Oven Baked Chicken Breast Video Tutorial
Why You Will Love This Oven Baked Chicken Breast Recipe
- It’s the best method to cook chicken breast. Tender and juicy. – We utilize a process that includes roasting on high heat for a shorter period to avoid dry and chewy chicken breasts.
- Simple to prepare and bake. Once the chicken has been seasoned, it takes less than 15 minutes to bake.
- Perfect for meal prep. It’s a great way to bake chicken in the oven, then store in the refrigerator and use it in different chicken recipes.
- It’s healthy. There are no unhealthy oils, frying, fatty sauces, or anything else here.
Baked Chicken Breast Ingredients
You’ll need the next ingredients to make the juiciest oven-baked chicken breast:
- Chicken Breasts – I suggest using boneless, skinless chicken breasts for this recipe. You’ll need to extend the cooking time if you’re using bone-in chicken breasts.
- Olive Oil – for a fantastic flavor and a golden crust, you can use unsalted butter. It also helps the seasonings stick better to the breasts.
- Italian Seasoning – Out of convenience, I used my homemade Italian Seasoning, but you can use dried rosemary, sage, or tarragon that pair perfectly with chicken.
- Garlic Powder
- Paprika – adds a beautiful color and a slightly sweet taste. Smoked paprika is a great option too.
- Salt and pepper – an essential mix to enhance the flavors.
How To Bake Chicken Breast
It’s easy to bake boneless chicken breast in just a few easy steps. No marinating or brining is needed to get a well seasoned juicy chicken.
Prepare all the ingredients. Mix all the seasoning ingredients in a small bowl.
Season the chicken breasts. Place the chicken breasts in a shallow bowl, pour the olive oil and sprinkle the seasoning mix all over the chicken. Mix well until they are fully covered.
Rubbing the chicken with olive oil keeps the chicken moist while adding a subtly rich flavor.
Another popular method to add more flavor to the chicken breast is by marinating it. My favorite chicken marinade is made with olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, rosemary, or other herbs that help the meat become super tender and flavorful. Allow marinate the chicken for about 30 minutes.
Bake. Preheat your oven to 450F. Prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment pepper, place the chicken breast, and, depending on the size, bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink inside.
Rest the baked chicken for about 10 minutes covered in foil, then enjoy.
Tips and Variations
- Allow the chicken to rest at room temperature for about 30 minutes before cooking it to ensure uniform cooking.
- Use a meat tenderizer to pound the breasts to ensure they cook evenly.
- Make sure you don’t overcook your chicken which is naturally lean and tends to dry out super quickly.
- Invest in an instant-read meat thermometer to test for doneness. Chicken is done cooking when the thermometer inserted in the thickest part reaches 165°F.
- Allow cooked chicken to rest covered in foil for 5-10 minutes to hold in juices.
- Depending on the size of your chicken breast, adjust the cooking time. If your breasts are thicker, they will take longer to cook.
- Use any of your favorite seasonings. Delicious options include Cajun seasoning, chicken seasoning, cumin, or dried marjoram.
What’s the Best Temperature to Bake Chicken?
When it comes to baking chicken breasts, the perfect temperature is 450°F. Cooking at a high temperature for a short period of time makes the chicken crispy with caramelized edges while locking all the juices on the inside.
You have two options: bake the chicken for 30 minutes at 350°F. Or you can also bake it at 450°F for 20 minutes. I’ve tried both ways, and the latter makes the juiciest chicken.
Baked Chicken Breast Cooking Times
If you want to bake at a different temperature, here are some time guidelines for you:
- 325°F – an 8-ounce chicken breast will take 30-35 minutes to bake.
- 350°F – an 8-ounce chicken breast will take 25-30 minutes to bake.
- 375°F – Many recipes call for baking chicken breast at 375°F. However, I find that it’s easier to overcook at this temperature. It will shorten the cooking time by roughly 20 to 23 minutes.
- 400°F – To bake chicken breast at 400F, place the chicken in the oven and cook for 22-24 minutes.
Should I Cover Chicken While Baking?
Covering chicken in the oven is not recommended. This is especially true with skin-on chicken breasts since the skin will be soggy and won’t crisp up. However, without being covered, the chicken will bake evenly.
Is Oven-Baked Chicken Breast Healthy?
Baked chicken is a good source of lean protein that is low in calories and saturated fat. Here’s the nutrition breakdown:
According to the USDA, 1 cup of roasted chicken breast has 231 calories, 43 grams of protein, 5 grams of fat, and zero grams of carbohydrates.
In conclusion, baked chicken breast is a healthy addition to a well balanced lifestyle, and can be paired with so many nutrient dense side dishes.
How to Bake Frozen Chicken Breast
You can bake frozen chicken breasts, but you’ll need to cook longer than you would with fresh meat.
- First, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Then place the frozen chicken breast on a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Drizzle some olive oil on both sides, then season it. Pro tip: oil is essential since it helps the seasonings stick to the frozen chicken.
- Bake uncovered in the oven for 30-45 minutes, then cover with foil and continue baking until it reaches 165°F.
What To Serve Baked Chicken Breast
One of the best things about baked chicken breast is that it can be served with various side dishes to create a well-balanced meal. It goes well with just about everything.
. For a great appearance, serve it sliced, shredded, or whole. To make it easier for my kids to consume, I generally slice it before serving.
Here are some interesting ideas that will work perfectly with this oven-baked chicken breast:
- Cauliflower Rice
- Turnip Au Gratin
- Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
- Pico de Gallo
- Oven Roasted Vegetables
- Easy Roasted Asparagus
How Can You Know If Chicken Breast Is Cooked Without Using A Thermometer?
- The juices should run clear when you cut the breast. The pink or red juices indicate that the chicken is not fully cooked.
- The flesh should be opaque, matt, and white in appearance– it can still have a tiny pale pinkish tint as long as it isn’t glossy, transparent, jelly-like, or mushy. Cut it at the deepest portion of the largest breast with a knife and examine it closely if you’re not certain. Cook for a couple more minutes if you’re still not sure.
- Fridge – You can refrigerate any leftovers for 3-4 days. Then, shred or chop it before storing it for quick meal prep, and use leftovers to create sandwiches or put on top of a salad.
- Reheating – If you want to reheat it, I recommend doing it in an air fryer until heated through, for about 5 minutes.
- Freezer – Shredded or chopped leftovers can be frozen for 3–4 months if properly packed. For simple leftover servings, I like to freeze them in separate smaller bags.
More Easy Chicken Breast Recipes
- Pan Seared Chicken Breast
- Creamy Tomato Chicken Skillet Dinner
- Cilantro Lime Grilled Chicken with Avocado Salsa
- The BEST Mediterranean Chicken Skillet
- Cream Cheese Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast
Easy Juicy Oven Baked Chicken Breast
- Preheat the oven to 450°F/ 232°C.
- In a small bowl, combine salt, Italian Seasoning, black pepper, garlic powder, and smoked paprika.
- Brush the chicken breast with olive oil and rub the seasonings mix on both sides.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until the internal temperature is 165°F (75°C) when using a meat thermometer. Broil for the last 3 minutes until it gets a golden brown crust.
- Remove from the oven and rest the chicken for 5-10 minutes to seal in the juices.
- Serve with pan juices, and garnish with fresh parsley.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: