This easy cashew chicken is definitely better than take-out and ready in just 20 minutes. Make the best stir-fry chicken with roasted cashews, onion, red peppers, all coated in a sticky soy sauce.
I’ve shared my easy Easy Keto Teriyaki Chicken and Keto Orange Chicken recipes, and ever since, you’ve asked for more Asian Inspired recipes. So today, I’m sharing another fabulous Chinese chicken recipe that will surely become a favorite of yours.
This quick cashew chicken recipe is one of those easy dinner recipes that’s loaded with flavor and texture. It’s also super versatile so that you can add your favorite vegetables, such as crisp broccoli or zucchini.
- What is Cashew Chicken?
- Why Are You Going To Love This Recipe
- Ingredients For Cashew Chicken
- How To Make Cashew Chicken
- Tips For Making The Best Cashew Chicken
- Can I Make Cashew Chicken in a Slow Cooker?
- How To Store Leftovers
- How To Serve Cashew Chicken
- Looking for More Chicken Recipes? Try these:
- Cashew Chicken Stir-Fry Recipe (20 minutes!)
What is Cashew Chicken?
Cashew chicken is a Chinese-American recipe that features chicken cashew and a garlicky sauce made with soy sauce, garlic, sesame oil, brown sugar, and cornstarch to thicken. Chicken can be either stir-fired pr deep fried depending on the version you want to make.
Why Are You Going To Love This Recipe
- Ready in just 20 minutes. It’s ready faster than ordering a take out.
- It’s healthier and less greasy.
- Loaded with texture and flavor.
- Low carb and perfect if you’re on a keto diet.
Ingredients For Cashew Chicken
As promised, this is another quick and easy chicken recipe. Here’s everything you’ll need to make the best chicken cashew stir-fry:
- Chicken Breast- you can also use chicken tenderloin. Make sure that you cut it into equal pieces to cook perfectly simultaneously.
- Cashews – Roasted cashew is the best, but you can also roast them for a few minutes in the oven.
- Soy Sauce – Use low-sodium light soy sauce in this dish, but you can use regular soy sauce or coconut aminos.
- Garlic – minced fresh garlic is always the best and gives the sauce an intense garlicky taste.
- Salt&Pepper – to taste, but you can also add your favorite seasonings.
- Sesame oil – a key ingredient and a staple in all Asian recipes. Toasted sesame oil adds a strong flavor and nutty aroma to the sauce.
- Vegetables – I added some red onion and red bell pepper, but you can add your favorites.
- Rice Vinegar – This gives that delicious tangy taste to balance the taste.
- Cornstarch – helps the sauce thicken. For a gluten-free sauce you can use xanthan gum instead.
How To Make Cashew Chicken
You will be surprised to see how easy making cashew chicken at home is. The chicken breast pieces cook incredibly fast, and the sauce is ready in minutes.
If you’re using raw cashew nuts, I suggest first roasting them in the pan until fragrant. Makes a huge difference.
- Make the sauce by whisking all the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Cook the chicken breast pieces– Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add some oil. Add the chicken pieces, season with salt and pepper, then cook until golden brown.
- Pour the soy sauce mixture and stir until it thickens.
- Stir in the cashew, red onion, bell pepper, and cook for just a few more minutes
- Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds. Enjoy!
Tips For Making The Best Cashew Chicken
- When frying chicken pieces, don’t overcrowd the pan. If necessary, do them in bunches.
- If the sauce looks too thick, add a few tablespoons of water until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Try walnuts or roasted peanuts instead of cashews.
- You can add broccoli, mushrooms, zucchini, or carrots.
- Use tofu pieces instead of chicken to make this recipe vegan.
Can I Make Cashew Chicken in a Slow Cooker?
Sure, you can make this cashew chicken in the slow cooker. Just sear your chicken before tossing it in the slow cooker with the sauce ingredients and cooking on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours. In the end, stir roasted cashews and enjoy.
How To Store Leftovers
- Fridge: Store for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
- Freezer: Place the cashew chicken leftovers in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. For best results, leave out the cashew and add them when ready to serve.
How To Serve Cashew Chicken
I love serving cashew chicken with shirataki rice that’s 0g carbs, cauliflower rice, steamed broccoli. Cashew chicken also pairs great with steamed rice, quinoa, or your favorite noodles.
Looking for More Chicken Recipes? Try these:
Cashew Chicken Stir-Fry Recipe (20 minutes!)
Chicken Stir Fry
- 1 ½ lbs chicken breasts boneless, skinless cut into 1½ inch pieces
- ¾ cup unsalted cashews roasted
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Prepare the sauce: In a small bowl, mix together all the ingredients until there are no lumps.
- Cook the chicken: Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add the vegetable oil. Cook the chicken for 4-5 minutes or until lightly brown. Transfer to a plate.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken, and stir until the chicken is well coated. Cook for a few more minutes until the chicken is completely cooked through.
- Stir in the scallions, cashews, and sesame oil.
- Remove from the heat and serve immediately with your favorite sides.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: