This Cilantro Lime Chicken is incredibly juicy, tender, and flavored. Enjoy a grilled chicken recipe that’s served with a fresh and delicious Avocado Salsa. A healthy 30-minute dinner recipe that’s super easy to make for a summer meal.
One of the best chicken recipes – bursts with flavor and freshness from the avocado salsa. It’s such a great option for both lunch and dinner that’s surgery going to become a family favorite. But, if you want to cook other cuts of chicken, try my Air Fryer Whole Chicken, Marry Me Chicken, baked chicken thighs, naked chicken tenders, or check all my chicken recipes.
This grilled chicken with avocado salsa has become a staple in our home this summer, and we make it at least twice a week as it’s super nutritious, delicious, and refreshing.
If you are not a fan of cilantro, you can replace it with fresh parsley. It will be equally delicious. Otherwise, this easy chicken recipe topped with a super fresh salsa made from avocado, onion, and lime is heavenly.
I love that this combo keeps me full for hours, and it’s only 5g net carbs per serving all coming from natural sources.
The chicken tastes better, and it’s even tender if you marinate it overnight. But there’s no problem if you cook it straight away.
Watch this video to see how easy it is to make a delicious Grilled Lime Chicken with Avocado Salsa.
Ingredients for Grilled Cilantro Chicken
- chicken breast – boneless skinless chicken breast cooks super quick but you can also use chicken thighs strips.
- garlic cloves – freshly minced for the best flavor.
- lime juice – is an essential ingredient as it helps the lean meat get super tender and juicy.
- cilantro – replace with fresh parsley if you’re not a cilantro fan.
- seasonings – I used a mix of herbs and spices, but you can whip up a batch of my chicken seasoning that’s super versatile.
Avocado Salsa Ingredients
- ripe avocado
- Roma Tomato
- red onion
- cilantro leaves
- lime juice
- fresh cracked pepper & salt to taste
Cilantro Lime Chicken Marinade
This chicken cilantro lime marinade is simple, quick, and yields the juiciest pieces of meat you can wish for. The marinade is made with freshly chopped cilantro, lime juice, minced garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper. To marinate the chicken you have to let it soak in the sauce for at least 30 minutes but no longer than 2 hours.
How to Make Cilantro Lime Chicken
- Make the chicken marinade – In a bowl, combine olive oil, lime juice, minced garlic, fresh cilantro, cumin, salt to make the marinade for the chicken.
- Prepare chicken breast – Slice the chicken as shown in the video to get even slices and then add the marinade. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes, if possible.
- Grill chicken breast – Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat and cook the chicken breast for 5-6 minutes on each side.
- Make Avocado Salsa – chop ripe avocado, Roma tomatoes, red onion, fresh cilantro, and jalapeno. Season with lime juice, salt, and pepper.
- Serve – Place one or two pieces of grilled chicken breast and top with plenty of avocado salsa.
Tips for Making the Best Cilantro Lime Chicken
- Let the chicken marinate for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Use Fresh lime if possible. Sometimes bottled lime can taste bitter.
- You’ll know that the chicken breast is perfectly cooked if a meat thermometer reads 165°F according to the FDA.
- Leftover grilled lime chicken is perfect for a sandwich or wrapped in lettuce for lunch the next day.
Make Ahead Chicken Recipe
If you want to prepare ahead of time: marinate the chicken overnight and cook right before serving. Make the avocado salsa but season with salt when ready to serve as we don’t want it to become super soggy. Wrap them in plastic wrap and refrigerate them until ready to enjoy.
- Fridge – Store the leftover grilled chicken for up to 3-4 days. Place the avocado salsa in an airtight container and store it in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Fridge – I don’t recommend freezing the avocado salsa. It becomes super mushy when defrosting, and it’s super quick to make it fresh from scratch every time.
Other Delicious Chicken Recipes:
- Pizza Stuffed Chicken
- Juicy Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- Easy Creamy Chicken Marsala Recipe
- One-Skillet Creamy Tuscan Chicken • Easy & Low Carb
Cilantro Lime Grilled Chicken with Avocado Salsa
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or 4 chicken breasts
For the Marinade
- 2 ripe avocados diced
- 3 small Roma Tomato chopped
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 1 jalapeno chopped (optional)
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- freshly cracked pepper & salt to taste
Make The Chicken Marinade
- In a large bowl, whisk all the ingredients for the marinade and set aside.
- Cut the chicken breast in half, as shown in the video, to get evenly sized pieces of chicken breast.
- Transfer the sliced chicken to the bowl of marinade. Stir to coat the chicken. Refrigerate the chicken for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Heat a grill pan or non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken for 5-6 minutes on each side.
To Make Avocado Salsa
- Ia large bowl, combine the avocado salsa ingredients — season with salt and pepper. Cover with plastic foil and refrigerate until ready to use.
- When the lime chicken breasts are ready, top with a few tablespoons of fresh avocado salsa and enjoy.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: