This keto butter chicken is a popular curry that features tender chicken, and it’s loaded with flavor. Learn how to make the best butter chicken recipe in just 30 minutes with a rich sauce that will become your favorite.
I have no words to describe the feeling I got when I first taste-tested the recipe. It reminded me of a meal that I had at an Indian Restaurant. I actually ate Indian only once in a restaurant, and I completely fell in love. I have a few Indian friends that cook delicious food often. The best part is that Indian food is naturally low in carbs.
What is Butter Chicken?
Butter chicken is a recipe with origins in Northern India. In 1948, Kundan Lal Gujral created this popular Indian curry called butter chicken or “murgh mukanini”.
It’s an incredible recipe made with pan-seared chicken pieces all coated in a silky and creamy butter sauce. It’s delicious served with cauliflower rice and homemade low carb naan bread.
Butter chicken is an incredible recipe that will impress anyone.
There’s no way you can make this recipe wrong because it requires no cooking experience. Just gather all the ingredients, and let’s start cooking.
You can find many butter chicken recipes online, and some use coconut cream instead of heavy cream, others call for thickening agents such as corn starch others include different vegetables.
I even saw one recipe made without any butter to reduce the fat content, which I find very annoying because the fat is actually delicious and keeps you full for longer.
All that being said, I will share my favorite keto butter chicken version, which I tested and shared with my family and friends.
Why Are You Going To Love This Recipe
- It’s super easy to make
- Loaded with flavor
- Tastes exactly like authentic Indian food
Keto Butter Chicken Recipe
Here’s a step-by-step video guide showing you exactly how I make the best keto butter chicken recipe.
It has a nice orange color, which is dictated by the ratio of tomato sauce to the whipping cream. Sometimes I add one tablespoon of turmeric powder for extra health benefits and a yellow touch.
Ingredients in Keto Butter Chicken
As you can see, you’ll need quite a few basic ingredients that I’m sure you already have in your kitchen. Here are all the ingredients you’ll need to make the best keto butter chicken you will need:
- Butter- use high-quality butter for a better taste.
- Chicken Breast– you can also use chicken things.
- Heavy Cream– makes the sauce super creamy and rich.
- Onion & Garlic Cloves– fresh is always the best, but if you don’t have any, you can use garlic and onion powder.
- Garam Masala
- chili powder
- fresh ginger
- Tomato sauce– I like to use canned tomato puree, but you can alternatively puree fresh tomatoes in a blender if you want.
Homemade Garam Masala Ingredients
Garam masala is a must in this recipe. It is an Indian blend of spices such as coriander, cumin, cardamom, cloves, black pepper, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
If you can’t find Garam masala, make the spice blend at home:
- 3 tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 tbsp black peppercorns
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp cardamom seeds
- 1 tsp whole cloves
- 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 whole cinnamon stick
All you have to do is to place the spices into a small dry pan over medium-high heat.
Stir constantly for about 5 minutes until the ingredients get slightly brown and have a toasty aroma.
Using a coffee grinder, pulse until they become a powder. Mix in the freshly grated nutmeg. Keep the spice mix in an airtight container.
How to Make Butter Chicken Recipe?
Once you found all the ingredients start cooking this amazing recipe. You’ll need a pan big enough.
- Start by browning the onion, garlic, and ginger in butter.
- Add the chicken and let it cook until it turns white on all sides.
- Season with the spices: Garam Masala, chili powder, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the tomato sauce and whipping cream over the seasoned chicken and let it simmer until desired consistency.
How to Serve Keto Butter Chicken?
This is the best combo ever, and trust me, when the slightly garlicky taste meets with the buttery flavored chicken sauce and the neutral taste of the low carb rice, it will feel like heaven in your mouth.
Tips For Making The Best Keto Butter Chicken
- The onions and garlic should be fully browned. They add a fantastic taste and contribute to the garam masala sweetness.
- Allow the chicken to marinate for at least 24 hours for the best flavors.
- You can make this a dairy-free recipe by replacing the butter with coconut oil and the heavy cream with coconut cream.
How Can I Store Keto Butter Chicken
- Fridge: you can store this chicken recipe refrigerated in an airtight container. It will keep fresh for approximately a week.
- Freezer: This meal may be frozen in an airtight container or zip-top bag for up to a month.
More Delicious Chicken Recipes For You To Try
- Keto Chicken Curry- Best Coconut Chicken Curry
- Easy Baked Lemon Garlic Chicken
- Cream Cheese Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Easy Keto Teriyaki Chicken
Keto Butter Chicken
- Heat a pan over medium heat and melt about two tablespoons of butter.
- Fry the onion, garlic and fresh ginger in butter for about 2-3 minutes until it becomes translucent.
- Meanwhile cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Add the chicken over the cooked onion and cook it for about 5 minutes, constantly stirring as shown in the video.
- Once the chicken looks almost cooked add the seasonings: Garam masala, chili powder, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the tomato sauce and heavy whipping cream. Let it simmer for 15 minutes or until it reaches desired consistency and the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: