Baked Lemon Chicken is packed with tons of delicious and fresh flavors. Extremely easy to whip up in just 30 minutes enjoy this tender and juicy lemon chicken with your entire family. The lemon sauce is not overpowering the dish and brings the best flavor in the chicken.
The natural ingredients in this lemon chicken recipe make this dish incredibly healthy, low in carbs, and keto-friendly.
If you never tried lemon chicken before you’re in for a delicious culinary experience. This recipe is made with chicken drumsticks all marinated in a buttery lemon dressing with tons of seasonings: Italian seasoning, smoked paprika, thyme, salt, and pepper. It’s loaded with fresh flavors, it’s garlicky, citrusy plus the sauce shines bright.
Will the chicken taste like lemons once cooked? No, it doesn’t taste like lemons, and the lemon adds depth of flavor.
Baked Lemon Chicken Video
Baked Lemon Chicken Ingredients
- Chicken Drumsticks – Skin on Chicken Drumsticks are inexpensive and easy to cook. The fat in the chicken skin keeps the meat moist and juicy. Use Chicken breast if you desire, but depending on their size, reduce the cooking time.
- Butter & Olive Oil – These two guys together make a great team and are the basic ingredients for a delicious chicken marinade.
- Lemon – Lemon Slices and lemon juice. Lemons are an essential ingredient in this recipe. The acidic substance helps the meat become extremely tender. So tender, it might fall off the bone instantly! The citric acid complements the meat and adds tons of flavor.
- Seasonings – As with any delicious chicken recipe, seasonings are essential. I love to use thyme and lemon sea salt, Italian seasonings, pepper, and smoked paprika. These are my favorite spices, and I use them all the time. Feel free to adjust them to your tastebuds. A dash of cayenne pepper to spice things up would be a fantastic addition!
How to Bake Lemon Chicken
Making lemon chicken with bone-in chicken drummettes is effortless and quick to make. Roasted to perfection, this lemon garlic chicken makes a great weeknight dinner.
- Prepare the lemon chicken marinade. Combine the butter, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and seasonings. Pour it over the chicken and place it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before baking.
- Prepare the chicken: In a large casserole dish, arrange the chicken legs and place lemon slices in between.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes in the preheated oven at 425F or until the internal chicken temperature is 165F.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy topped with fresh herbs.
How to Serve Lemon Chicken?
Can I Make It Ahead?
If you prefer to prepare dinner in advance, make the chicken marinade and refrigerate until you are ready to bake. This way, the chicken will be juicier and super tender.
Can I Substitute with Chicken Breast?
This lemon chicken recipe works well with chicken breast or tenderloins too. Prepare as written in the recipe card below, but makes sure to adjust the cooking time that varies depending on the size of the breasts.
Baked Lemon Chicken is delicious and perfect for meal prep and freezes for some easy weeknight dinner.
- Fridge – Store refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Freeze – Place the leftover lemon chicken in a freezer-safe bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Reheat – Cover with foil and reheat in the oven until warmed through.
Other Chicken Recipe You Might Like
- Garlic Butter Pork Tenderloin
- Easy Creamy Chicken Marsala Recipe
- Super Easy Chicken Fajitas
- 15 Minute Oven Roasted Chicken and Vegetables
- Instant Pot Chicken Breast
Easy Baked Lemon Garlic Chicken
- In a large bowl combine the melted butter, olive oil, Italian seasoning, smoked paprika, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Wisk well and add the chicken legs. Toss well to coat! Let t
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the fridge. Marinate for at least 30 minutes (best overnight!)
- Preheat the oven to 425 F / 220C.
- Arrange the chicken legs into a large casserole dish and place lemon slices in between the legs.
- Bake uncovered for 25 minutes. Flip the chicken and continue cooking for 5-10 minutes or until chicken is golden brown and cooked through. Chicken is cooked when the internal temperature is 165 degrees.
- Garnish with fresh thyme and serve hot.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: