This keto coconut cream pie features a gluten free almond flour crust and a super creamy coconut filling. Topped with sugar-free whipped cream and toasted coconut, this low carb coconut pie is the best dessert for coconut lovers.
I don’t know if I’ve shared this with you before, but I’m a coconut lover. That’s right. I love coconut in any way that is possible. On the blog, you can find various keto coconut recipes, including Chocolate Almond Joy, and coconut flour brownies.
You guys asked me to create a low carb version of a coconut cream pie. Guys, it took me a few tries to perfect this delicious keto coconut dessert. But you know that I don’t share keto desserts recipes that are less than perfect because I want you to be able to enjoy what you cook and don’t waste expensive ingredients.
Low Carb Coconut Cream Pie isn’t just for coconut lovers. If you love creamy and rich custard pie topped with whipped cream, this pie is for you!
So, if you are looking for the best keto cream pie, you’ve come to the right place. It’s coconutty, creamy, and has a flaky, gluten-free pie crust that beats any traditional pie crust.
With just 4 grams of net carbs per slice, I’m completely sure that you’ll want to make this sugar-free coconut cream pie over and over again.
- Video Tutorial: Keto Coconut Cream Pie
- Is Coconut Keto-Friendly?
- Keto Coconut Cream Pie in 3 Parts
- Low Carb Coconut Cream Pie Ingredients
- How To Make This Delicious Low Carb Coconut Cream Pie
- Tips For Making The Best Low Carb Coconut Cream Pie
- How To Store This Low Carb Coconut Cream Pie
- Looking For More Keto Pie Recipes? Try these:
- Keto Coconut Cream Pie – Best Low Carb Coconut Pie
Video Tutorial: Keto Coconut Cream Pie
Is Coconut Keto-Friendly?
Sure, If you’re following a keto diet, you can eat coconut and coconut-based products without kicking yourself out of ketosis.
Since they are low in net carbohydrates and loaded with nutritious fat, low-sugar, coconut products are a great option to include in your keto diet.
Keto Coconut Cream Pie in 3 Parts
To make this recipe easier to follow, I divided it into 3 parts. It’s so easy to make a keto pie from scratch.
- Homemade Keto Pie Crust – Make the pie crust from scratch using almond flour and coconut flour. It’s important to blind bake it.
- Sugar-Free Coconut Filling – Make a custardy coconut filling on the stove.
- Whipped Cream – Super easy to make without added sugar. You can add some coconut extract, too.
Low Carb Coconut Cream Pie Ingredients
This recipe uses canned coconut cream, which is super thick and creamy. The rest of the ingredients are incredibly common and easy to find at any grocery store.
For The Crust:
- Almond Flour & Coconut Flour – is the best keto flour mix to create a delicious keto pie crust.
- Powdered Sweetener – Any keto powdered sweetener, such as erythritol, xylitol, monk fruit, or allulose, can be used.
- Butter – make sure that you use unsalted butter or replace it with coconut oil for dairy-free.
- Egg – use a room temperature large egg to bind everything together.
For the coconut cream filling:
- Heavy Whipping Cream – the best choice to use as a creamy base for the filling. Don’t substitute with milk.
- Coconut Cream – It adds a hint of coconut flavor. But if you don’t have any, you can easily replace it with the same amount of heavy cream and add some coconut extract.
- Eggs – large eggs at room temperature are the best. It helps the cream to bind. You’ll need to use 2 whole eggs and an egg yolk.
- Powdered Sweetener – I recommend sifting the sweetener to avoid any lumps.
- Butter – to incorporate it easily, use butter at room temperature.
- Vanilla & Coconut Extract – use a high-quality extract for a better taste.
- Xanthan Gum – helps the cream thicken, so make sure you don’t skip it. You can also replace it with guar gum, gelatin powder, or agar-agar. However, if you’re not worried too much about the carbs, you can use corn starch to thicken the pie filling.
- Shredded Coconut – make sure that you are using unsweetened shredded coconut.
- Heavy Whipping Cream – you have to use cold heavy whipping cream this time.
- Powdered Swerve Sweetener
- Vanilla Extract – It’s important to use a high-quality vanilla extract.
- Flaked Coconut – you can toast them or leave them as they are.
How To Make This Delicious Low Carb Coconut Cream Pie
If you follow the next steps, you will end up with the most delicious low carb coconut cream pie you have ever tried. It might seem complicated at first, but you can go through the instructions and watch the step-by-step video.
- First, you have to make the almond flour crust. Start by mixing all the ingredients for the crust. Next, press the dough in s 9-inch pie dish, and poke holes into the bottom of the crust with a fork. Place the crust for 10 minutes in the fridge before baking it.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown. To prevent the edges from burning, wrap them with foil.
- Make the filling: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the heavy cream and coconut cream. Bring to a low boil, then reduce to a low simmer.
- Meanwhile, mix the eggs, yolks, sweetener, and xanthan gum in a bowl.
- Pour half of the hot cream over the egg mixture and mix well, then add all the tempered mixture over the hot cream.
- Take the cream off the heat, add the butter, coconut flakes, and mix well until thickened.
- Pour the cream over the cooled crust and let it cool in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
- Prepare the topping: Put all the ingredients in a bowl except the coconut flakes, and beat them for about 3 minutes.
- Toast the unsweetened coconut flakes until it turns a bright golden brown color.
- Spread the whipped cream on the pie and decorate with coconut flakes.
Make-ahead tip: Prepare the flaky almond flour crust up to 3 days ahead of time. The baked pie crust will be ready for the coconut filling.
Tips For Making The Best Low Carb Coconut Cream Pie
- For the best results, bring all the ingredients at room-temperature ingredients except for the heavy cream needed for the topping.
- To prevent the filling from burning, whisk it constantly while it is on the stove. Cook over medium-low heat for about five minutes until the filling has thickened.
- Don’t overbeat the whipped cream; otherwise it will separate and turn into butter.
- Leave out the shredded coconut if you’re not a fan. You will have a creamier, smoother texture that way.
How To Store This Low Carb Coconut Cream Pie
- Fridge: cover the coconut cream pie with plastic wrap and store it in the fridge for up to five days.
- Freezer: If you want to freeze it, I recommend freezing the pie crust and filing separately. Thaw and assemble the pie the day before you want to enjoy it.
Looking For More Keto Pie Recipes? Try these:
- No-Bake Keto Key Lime Pie
- Keto French Silk Pie
- Keto Pecan Pie – Only 4g net carbs
- Easy No Bake Keto Peanut Butter Pie
- No-Bake Keto Chocolate Cheesecake
Keto Coconut Cream Pie – Best Low Carb Coconut Pie
Almond Flour Crust
Almond Flour Keto Pie Crust:
- Add the almond flour, coconut flour, powdered sweetener, softened butter, large egg, and a pinch of salt in a large bowl. Using your hands or a spatula, mix well until a dough forms.
- Press the dough into the pie pan. Use a fork to poke holes into the bottom of the crust. Place the pie pan in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/ 180°C and bake for about 10-12 minutes or until it looks golden. You can cover the edges with foil to prevent from burning.
Make the Sugar Free Coconut Filling:
- Whisk together the eggs, egg yolk, powdered sweetener, xanthan, gum, and salt.
- Place a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add heavy cream and canned coconut cream. Whisk constantly and bring to a boil.
- Pour half of the hot cream over the egg mixture, constantly whisking, to temper the eggs. Work quick, so the eggs don’t scramble.
- Slowly incorporate the tempered egg mixture back into pan of hot cream.
- Whisk for another 4 to 5 minutes until the pudding begins to bubble and thicken.
- Remove from heat and stir in the butter, shredded coconut, vanilla extract, and coconut extract (if using).
- Pour the warm coconut mixture into the cooled baked pie crust. Use a spatula to spread evenly. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
Make the Whipped Cream Topping
- In a large bowl, whip the cold heavy cream, the sweetener, and vanilla. Mix using an electric mixer for 3-4 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
- Spread the whipped cream on the chilled pie and decorate with toasted flaked coconut.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: