This keto fried shrimp recipe is easy, delicious, and made using simple ingredients. Ready in about 15 minutes enjoy the crispiest low-carb fried shrimp that is great as a snack or appetizer with a dipping sauce at a party with your friends.
I’m a big fan of shrimp, and I’m not even kidding. I could eat them every day for lunch or dinner and never get tired of it. Shrimp are extremely versatile and can be cooked in various ways: grilled, sauteed, on a skewer, or air fried. Besides this, they are loaded with high-quality protein and are low in carbs and calories.
You will be surprised to find out that you can easily prepare these crispy fried shrimp at home and don’t have to give up on that even if you are following a keto diet. Using just a few low-carb ingredients like eggs, almond flour, or crushed pork rinds, you will end up with the crispiest pan-fried shrimps that are perfect for easy dinners with your family.
Watch this quick video to see exactly how easy it is to make the best fried shrimp recipe.
- Why Are You Going To Love This Keto Fried Shrimp Recipe
- Ingredients For Keto Fried Shrimp
- How To Make Keto Fried Shrimp
- Tips For Making The Best Keto Fried Shrimp
- How Should I Choose The Shrimp?
- How To Defrost Shrimp Properly?
- Why Is Good Eating Shrimp?
- Can I Make Crispy Shrimp In an Air Fryer?
- Serving Suggestions
- How To Store These Keto Fried Shrimp
- Super Crispy Keto Fried Shrimp
Why Are You Going To Love This Keto Fried Shrimp Recipe
- Easy to make
- They are made from only a few healthy and low-carb ingredients.
- Only 3g net carb per serving.
- They pair perfectly with so many sauces and side dishes.
Ingredients For Keto Fried Shrimp
With just seven ingredients, you will make a delicious keto appetizer that will impress everyone.
- Shrimp – I used peeled, deveined large shrimp with tails on.
- Eggs – beaten as well as possible.
- Almond Flour – you can easily replace it with coconut flour or unflavored whey protein powder.
- Salt & Pepper – to taste.
- Granulated Garlic – my favorite seasoning for this fried shrimp recipe, but you can use onion powder or your favorite seasoning.
- Paprika – you can use smoked paprika to give the shrimp a more intense smoky flavor.
- Coconut Oil – to deep fry the shrimp. You can replace it with any keto-friendly oil you want.
How To Make Keto Fried Shrimp
You need to follow only a few simple steps to prepare these delicious keto fried shrimp recipes.
- Thaw the shrimp and wipe them with a paper towel to dry.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs.
- Then in a separated bowl, mix all the dry ingredients for the coating.
- Place oil in a deep pan over medium-high heat.
- Dredge the shrimp in the egg and then cover them with the flour mixture.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes on each until lightly browned. Cooking time may vary depending on the size of your shrimp
Tips For Making The Best Keto Fried Shrimp
- Make sure you don’t overcrowd the pan when frying the shrimp. I usually cook five or six shrimp at a time.
- Do not overcook the shrimp, or they will harden and become gummy.
- Ensure the oil is hot enough to cook the shrimp fast and create that crispy coating.
- Add a 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder to the coating mixture for a spicier shrimp recipe.
How Should I Choose The Shrimp?
You often hear that you should choose fresh foods instead of frozen ones. Although it is true for several foods, it is not always true for shrimp. Frozen shrimp go through several steps: they are caught, cleaned, then quickly frozen, through a process called individual quick freezing(IQF).
On the other hand, fresh shrimp from the store may have gone through the same freezing process to be transported, then thawed, and put up for sale. The reason for this is simple: shrimp are spoiling very quickly. And that’s the reason I choose to buy frozen ones. Therefore, it is safer and cheaper to buy frozen shrimp.
How To Defrost Shrimp Properly?
One option is to leave them in the fridge overnight and cook the next day.
But it’s not a problem if you forget to do that, because there is another option: place the shrimp in a bowl then add some cold water over them, in this way they will defrost in approximately 15 minutes.
Why Is Good Eating Shrimp?
- Shrimp’s high nutritional content helps maintain good skin, hair, and nails and prevent cancer and heart disease.
- Shrimp are recommended in diets because they have a low calorie content.
Can I Make Crispy Shrimp In an Air Fryer?
Yes, you can use an air fryer for cooking your shrimp, and it’s not difficult at all.
All you have to do is follow the steps in the recipe card below to prepare the shrimp until you get to the point where they need to be cooked.
Then preheat your air fryer to 375F and spray your basket with cooking spray.
Cook the shrimp for 3 minutes in the air fryer, then flip them. Then air fry for 3-4 minutes longer, or until done.
The first time I cooked these shrimp, I ended up eating them as simple as they are, but after I discovered some other great ideas like:
- Use fried shimp in a salad
- Eat them with some dipping sauce – my favorite one is the cocktail sauce or keto ranch dressing.
- Or you can eat them with a delicious side dish like cauliflower mashed potatoes or cauliflower rice.
How To Store These Keto Fried Shrimp
- Fridge: store the fried shrmp in airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Freezer: Place the cookedshrimp on a baking sheet in a single layer and freeze them. Then transfer frozen shrimp to a freezer bag and store them for up to 2 months.
When ready to serve, place them in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes or microwave until they are evenly heated.
Not a fan of shrimp? You can try my fantastic keto fried chicken recipe.
Super Crispy Keto Fried Shrimp
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs.
- In a second bowl, place the coconut flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and oregano.
- Dip each shrimp into the egg, then dredge into the coconut flour mixture. Place the breaded shrimp on a plate and repeat the process until all shrimp are coated.
- Heat the oil in a large deep pan. Once the oil is hot, fry the shrimp in batches. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer cooked shrimp to paper towels to drain. Repeat the process with the remaining shrimp.
- Garnish with lemon wedges and fresh parsley, and serve immediately.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: