Learn how to make these Keto Pop Tarts! Made with a buttery and flaky low-carb pastry dough, each tart is generously filled with a rich raspberry chia seed jam. In a mere 30 minutes, with some simple, naturally low-carb ingredients, you can recreate the classic Pop Tart experience right in your kitchen.
And if you’re in the mood for an extra drizzle of indulgence, drench them in sugar-free icing and garnish with a sprinkle of freeze-dried raspberries.
When I was a child, I had a ritual. Every Saturday morning, I’d tiptoe into the kitchen before anyone else woke up, fetch a Pop Tart from the cupboard, and watch my favorite cartoons with my treat in hand. Those simple moments, with the aroma of toasted pastry filling the room, have stayed with me.
As I embarked on my keto journey, I yearned for those flavors and memories without the heavy carbs.
That’s how these Keto Pop Tarts came to life. Every bite takes me back to those cozy mornings, wrapped in a blanket with cartoons playing in the background. With a beautifully buttery crust and a center bursting with raspberry chia seed jam, they’re more than just a snack; they’re a trip down memory lane.
In just 30 minutes and with a handful of wholesome ingredients, I’ve recreated that classic taste.
Sharing this recipe feels like sharing a piece of my heart, and I hope it brings a touch of warmth and fond memories to your mornings, too.
Perfect for those cozy mornings or when you just need a comforting snack. Here’s to reliving sweet memories without the carbs!
What Are Pop Tarts?
Originating in the United States, Pop Tarts are a type of pre-baked toaster pastries characterized by their flaky outer crust and sweet interior, often filled with fruit or chocolate. Typically heated in a toaster or oven, they serve as a convenient breakfast option or as a snack.
Are Pop Tarts Keto-Friendly?
Off-the-shelf Pop Tarts are not considered keto-friendly due to their content of refined sugar, wheat flour, and other high-carb ingredients. However, with some ingredient swaps for low-carb alternatives, like in the recipe provided, you can create keto-approved Pop Tarts.
This homemade version not only fits the keto dietary guidelines with only xg net carbs per serving, but it also utilizes natural low-carb ingredients, making it an ideal choice for those on the ketogenic diet.
Easy Pop Tarts Recipe
See how easy it is to make the best keto pop tarts recipe!
Why Are You Going To Love This Keto Pop Tarts Recipe
- Easy: Whip up a batch in just 30 minutes.
- Versatile: The recipe is adaptable to various flavors and ingredients.
- Make-Ahead: Prepare it in advance for a hassle-free treat later.
- Customizable: Tailor it to your taste by choosing your preferred filling.
- Dietary Benefits: This recipe is gluten-free, low-carb, and free from added sugars.
- Authentic Flavor: Enjoy a taste reminiscent of the classic Pop Tart, but with a fraction of the carbs.
- Full Control: Being homemade means you dictate the ingredients, ensuring quality and flavor to your preference.
You will need only a few simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry to create this delicious keto pop tarts recipe. Here is a list of everything you will need:
For the Keto Pastry
- Almond and Coconut Flour – I recommend sifting your flour to ensure the batter has no clumps. This way, the texture of the pastry dough is lighter.
- Cream Cheese – you will need softened cream cheese to ensure that it combines well.
- Sweetener – feel free to use your favorite sweetener as long as it is powdered.
- Egg – helps everything to bind together.
- Butter – you will need unsalted softened butter.
- Vanilla Extract – use the best quality you can find for an intense, delicious flavor.
- Salt – used to enhance all the flavors.
For The Filling
- Raspberries – you can use fresh or frozen raspberries.
- Xanthan Gum – is used to help the jam thicken.
- Sweetener – I used erythritol, but any other low-carb sweetener will also work.
- Sweetener – you will need powdered low-carb sweetener.
- Water – is used to create the icing.
How To Make Keto Pop Tarts Recipe
Once you see how easy it is to make these sugar-free pop tarts, you will want to make them any time when you are craving something sweet. Here are the steps that you need to follow:
Prepare the Oven: Begin your Pop Tart journey by preheating the oven to 180C / 350F. This ensures an even bake once you’re ready to put your pastries in.
Making the Perfect Pastry Dough:
Mixing the Dry Ingredients: In a food processor bowl, blend together the sweetener, salt, almond flour, and coconut flour. Pulse the mixture several times until the ingredients are well combined. The dough is slightly sticky.
Incorporating the Wet Ingredients: Now, to this dry mix, introduce the wet ingredients. Add an egg, vanilla extract, softened butter, and cream cheese. Pulse again until a cohesive, slightly sticky batter forms.
Time to Chill: Mold the dough into a ball shape. Next, wrap this ball in plastic foil, ensuring it’s well covered. Place it in the fridge for about 10-15 minutes, allowing it to firm up and chill.
Preparing The Filling
Add the raspberries and sweetener into a non-stick pan, setting it on medium heat. As the berries start to release their juices, use a spatula to squeeze them gently, infusing their flavor throughout the mixture. Continue cooking for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it reaches a jam-like consistency. To thicken, switch off the heat and fold in the xanthan gum. Let it cool down to room temperature.
Assembling Your Pop Tarts:
Retrieve your chilled dough from the fridge, cutting it evenly into two sections. Roll out each section between two sheets of parchment paper, aiming for a uniform thickness. From these, cut out 4 or 8 rectangles.
Filling the Tarts: Gently place each rectangle on a baking sheet. Then, on half of these rectangles, spread a generous tablespoon of your homemade raspberry filling, leaving a small border around the edges to help seal the tarts.
Sealing the Deal: Cover the filled rectangles with their corresponding halves. Once slightly firm, use a fork to press and seal the edges of each Pop Tart, creating a decorative pattern.
To ensure they stick together, pop them in the freezer for an additional 10 minutes.
For a golden finish, brush them with an egg wash. Add ventilation to each tart either by making a small ‘X’ with a sharp knife or simply pricking the top with the fork twice.
With your oven preheated, transfer the baking sheet inside and let your Pop Tarts bake for approximately 15 minutes. You’re aiming for a lovely golden brown hue.
The Icing on the Tart:
In a separate bowl, whisk together your icing ingredients until you achieve a smooth consistency. Once the Pop Tarts are out of the oven and have cooled slightly, drizzle or spread the icing on top. Let them sit a while, allowing the icing to set and harden.
Tips For Making The Best Keto Pop Tarts
- When rolling the pastry dough, use parchment paper to prevent sticking and breaking it.
- Don’t overmix the dough since it may become tough and chewy.
- Allow the keto pop tarts to cool completely before glazing them to ensure the glaze won’t melt or slide off.
- Brush the top of these sugar-free pop tarts with an egg wash or heavy cream before baking them to a golden and shiny crust.
- Blueberry Jam: Cook fresh blueberries with a keto sweetener until it reduces to a jam-like consistency. Add some chia seeds for extra thickness if desired.
- Chocolate Filling: Melted sugar-free dark chocolate or keto Nutella.
- Cream Cheese Blend: Mix cream cheese with a little vanilla extract and a keto-friendly sweetener.
- Cinnamon Sugar: Blend a keto-friendly sweetener with cinnamon for a warm, spicy filling.
- Nut Butter: Almond, peanut, or cashew butter (ensure they’re unsweetened and natural).
- Pumpkin Spice: Combine canned pumpkin puree (unsweetened) with keto-friendly sweetener, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
Storing Keto Pot Tarts Leftovers
- Fridge: You can store these keto pop tarts wrapped in plastic foil in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days.
- Freezer: After completely cooled, wrap each pop tart in plastic wrap, then place them in a freezer-safe container for up to 2-3 months.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Make This Keto Pop Tarts Recipe With Other Type Of Berries?
Sure, feel free to replace the raspberries with your favorite fruits like blue, black, or strawberries.
Can I Make Keto Pot Tarts Without A Food Processor?
Yes, if you don’t have a food processor, you can still make the pastry dough by using a pastry blender or a silicone spatula. But if you are using a silicone spatula, make sure to incorporate well all the ingredients.
More Delicious Keto Desserts
- Easy Keto Chocolate Croissant Recipe
- Keto Raspberry Scones with Lemon Glaze
- The Best Keto Strawberry Muffins – 3g Net Carbs
- Keto Thumbprint Cookies
- Berry Cheesecake Salad
- Raspberry Vanilla Keto Muffins
Keto Pop Tarts
For The Pastry
- 1 cup chia seed jam
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- ½ cup powdered sweetener
- 1 tbsp water
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, combine almond flour, coconut flour, powdered sweetener, xanthan gum, and salt. Pulse until well-mixed.
- Add cream cheese, egg, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Pulse again until a sticky dough forms.
- Shape the dough into a ball and wrap it in plastic. Place in the freezer for 10-15 minutes.
- Make the filling: For the raspberry filling, place raspberries and sweetener in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off the heat, stir in the xanthan gum, and allow it to cool completely.
- Assemble the Keto Pop Tarts: Remove the dough from the freezer and divide it into two pieces. Roll out each piece and cut into 4 large rectangles or 8 smaller ones for a total of 8 /16 rectangles.
- Place each rectangle on the baking sheet.
- Lay half of the rectangles on a baking sheet. Place a tablespoon of the raspberry filling in the center of each. Cover with the remaining rectangles. Press the edges to seal, then place in the freezer for an additional 10 minutes.
- If using the egg wash, beat the additional egg and brush over the tops of the pop tarts. Use a fork to further crimp and seal the edges. Cut an 'X' onto the top of each tart to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add the ingredients for the icing to a bowl and whisk until well combined.
- For the icing, whisk together the powdered sweetener and water in a bowl until smooth.
- Once pop tarts are removed from the oven and slightly cooled, spread the icing on top. Allow them to sit until the icing sets.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.