The Best Keto Red Velvet Cupcakes are fluffy, buttery, and moist. They are perfect topped with a luscious cream cheese frosting.
The red velvet cake is an American recipe and usually made during the holidays because of its beautiful red color.
I top the red velvet muffins with generous amounts of homemade sugar-free cream cheese frosting, and they become heavenly. So pretty and perfect for Christmas, New Year’s Eve, and even Valentine’s Day.
Ingredients for the Keto Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Almond Flour
- Coconut Flour
- Granulated Erythritol
- Baking Powder
- Cocoa Powder
- Butter or Coconut Oil*
- Heavy Whipping Cream or Coconut Cream*
- Large Eggs
- Vanilla Extract
- Red food coloring
*For dairy-free keto red velvet cupcakes substitute the butter to coconut oil and heavy cream to canned coconut cream.
What about Natural Food Coloring?
Red Velvet without food coloring would be just a yellow cake with a hint of chocolate. I love to use gel food coloring because it’s super pigmentated, and you’ll need less of it.
Alternatively, use natural red coloring made out of beets. You can also altogether leave out the food coloring. Although the color will be more on the brown side, the taste is similar.
How To Make Red Velvet Cupcakes
I share with you my very best tips and the proper amount of ingredients to produce the best grain-free red velvet cupcakes. They rise beautifully even we aren’t using any wheat flour, just my favorite combo of super fine almond flour and coconut flour. Here’s everything you have to do:
- Beat the eggs until frothy. This step is essential because it will make your cupcakes light and fluffy.
- Combine the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, add all the dry ingredients. You can sift the flours, cocoa powder, and sweetener to avoid the clumps. No worries if you don’t have that much time. Just make sure to use a super fine blanched almond flour.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients.
- Add in the butter and food coloring.
- Bake for about 20 minutes at 350°F/ 180°C or until the tops of the muffins spring back when touched or a toothpick inserted comes out clean. If there are still crumbs on the toothpick bake for a few more minutes. Also, be careful not to overbake as you’ll end up with dry cupcakes.
- Cool completely before adding the frosting.
A few tips
- Use room temperature ingredients – I’m sure you’ve heard this before, but it makes a difference. Bring all your refrigerated ingredients to room temperature – eggs included. That way, you’ll get a perfect batter without having to deal with a curdled batter.
- Whip the eggs – To get that fluffy texture beat the eggs with your electric mixer until they look fluffy. This step incorporates air into the batter, which makes the cupcakes fluffier.
- Don’t overbake – It doesn’t matter how well you follow all the instructions, overbaking will make dry cupcakes. I bake them for about 18 minutes for the perfect result, but you know each oven is different. Keep an eye on the cupcakes and remove them from the oven when slightly firm to touch.
- Cool completely before frosting – Make sure the red cupcakes are completely cooled before decorating with the frosting. Otherwise, the heat from the cupcakes will cause the frosting to melt.
Other Keto Desserts for You To try
- Super Easy Keto Pumpkin Muffins
- Raspberry Vanilla Keto Muffins – Low Carb Special Treat
- Quick and Easy Low Carb Keto Blueberry Muffins
Keto Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C and line a muffin pan with 16 parchment paper cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the eggs, heavy cream, and vanilla extract. Using an electric mixer mix for about 2 minutes until frothy.
- Combine the dry ingredients: almond flour, coconut flour, sweetener, baking powder, cocoa powder into a different bowl. You can sift them to get rid of the bigger clumps.
- Add the dry ingredients into the beaten eggs and continue mixing until a batter starts to form. Incorporate the softened butter and red food coloring. Stir for a few minutes more. Let the batter rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Fill the cupcake liners with about two tablespoons of batter.
- Transfer to the preheated oven and bake for about 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the thickest part of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Let them cool on a rack and prepare the cream cheese frosting.
- Once cooled, frost the cupcakes with the cream cheese frosting and decorate with sugar-free sprinkles.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.