This keto chili is a mouthwatering combination of flavorful ground beef, vegetables, with no beans to keep chili low carb. It’s truly the best chili in the world!
I love that this chili has tons of vegetables that pair perfectly with the ground seasoned meat.
There’s no need for beans of any kind even they are an important ingredient in the traditional recipe. We want to keep things low carb and substitute the beans with more vegetables to get the best texture.
If you are looking for a way to include more vegetables in your meals, this is a great way.
Tip: Make our keto cornbread because it perfectly pairs with this delicious and hearty low carb chili.
Reasons You’ll Love Keto Chili
- It’s extremely versatile. To make it extremely delicious, top it with your favorite keto-friendly toppings.
- It’s a low-carb meal. There are much fewer carbohydrates in this chili than in your favorite conventional chili.
- Easy to make. Even if you are not an experienced chef, you can make this delicious recipe without much trouble.
Is Chili Keto?
Traditional Chili Recipe that’s made with beans is not keto-friendly since it’s loaded with carbs. Beans are high in carbs, and 1 cup of canned kidney beans has over 40 grams of carbs. This is almost double the number of carbs for a full day of eating on a ketogenic diet. Beans are legumes and usually aren’t consumed on a keto diet.
The Key To Chili Without Beans
Beans are starchy veggies that aren’t keto-friendly. Therefore traditional chili recipes are generally bean-heavy. Instead, drop the beans and use more meat than you typically would for a simple low-carb chili dish. You may also add low-carb veggies like cauliflower, zucchini, or cabbage to the mix!
This recipe also contains seasonings like ground black pepper, chili powder, and ground cumin, giving this keto recipe a great taste without sabotaging your macros.
Ingredients for Keto Chili
Most people love their beans in the chili because that’s the traditional way to make this recipe. The idea of not including beans might seem strange to you.
The ingredient list might seem long but half of them are spices, so no worries this is still a very easy to make weeknight meal.
- Ground Beef – you can use any ground beef you like, but I recommend 85% lean beef for the best flavor and browning.
- Low carb vegetables such as onion, celery, garlic, red pepper.
- Olive Oil – While any oil can be used, a flavored oil is recommended, such as olive oil. It complements the tomato-based ingredients nicely.
- Onion and Garlic-my favorite aromatics. Chopped yellow or white onions are the best.
- Crushed Tomatoes and Tomato Paste – this adds a delicious tomato flavor and makes it stew-like.
- Seasonings– chili powder, ground cumin, bay leaves, oregano.
How to Make Keto Chili?
There are a few ways to make chili using different cooking methods; Instant Pot, Crockpot, or on the Stove.
Here’s how you can make keto chili without beans 3 ways :
How to Make Low Carb Chili in the Instant Pot
- Turn your Instant Pot to sauté add the olive oil. Add the onion, celery, garlic and sauté until tender, for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and cook until browned. Drain any excess grease using a large spoon.
- Add the seasoning and the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Cover the instant pot. Turn the instant pot to manual, high pressure for 25 minutes
- Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then quick release. Remove the bay leaf before serving.
How to Make Keto Chili in the Crock Pot
- To make chili in the crockpot, saute the onion, celery, and garlic in the tablespoon of olive oil, until translucent. Add the ground beef. Break it up as is cooks with a spatula, stirring frequently until browned.
- In the slow cooker add the tomato crushed tomatoes, stir in the seasonings. Add the cooked ground beef-onion mixture and the rest of the ingredients. If the chili looks too thick stir in more water.
- Cook on low for at least 4-6 hours.
How to Make Chili On the Stove
If you don’t want to make the chili in an Instant Pot or in a slow cooker you can cook it in a large soup pot. For the detailed instructions check the recipe card down below.
All you have to do is to add all the ingredients to the pot and let it simmer until fragrant and well cooked. Add your favorite toppings such as cheese and enjoy every bite of this perfect meal.
How To Thicken Keto Chili?
The easiest way to simmer keto chili is to remove all the veggies and simmer on low heat until the sauce gets the desired consistency. Stir from time to time. This way the chili thickens naturally without having to add flour or cornstarch.
Another of my favorite ways to thicken chili is to use 1/4 tsp of xanthan gum and then simmer for a couple of minutes.
Variations For This Keto Chili
- Reduce the Carbs: Because the tomato puree is the only substantial source of carbs in this dish, you may cut the amount in half if your carb demands are extremely low.
- Add Veggie Power: I like to serve this chili over cauliflower rice, but you can also add 1-2 cups of vegetables into the chili while it’s cooking up. Chopped carrots or some greens like spinach or chopped kale are also good options.
How to Serve Low Carb Paleo Chili?
My favorite way to serve chili is topped with shredded cheddar, sour cream, diced avocados, and jalapeno slices. I love to make low carb cornbread and dip it in the juicy sauce to scrape clean the serving bowl.
Here are a few other things you can enjoy chili with:
- diced tomatoes
- jalapeno slices
- tortilla chips or cheese chips
- diced red onion
- sliced green onions
- lime wedges
How Many Carbs Are in this Keto Chili Recipe?
This chili makes enough for 6 servings. Each serving of about 1 cup has 7g net carbs. If you are counting total carbs this recipe has 9g carbs for one serving.
Can You Freeze Keto Chili?
Freezing Chili is 100% possible because it reheats perfectly. Let your chili completely and store in single servings in freezer bags with all the air pressed out.
Easily defrost the chili in the fridge overnight or in a saucepan at low-medium heat with a lid on.
Are Tomatoes Keto?
- 2.41g carbs
- 0.55g protein
- 0.12g fat
- 11 calories
Other Ground Beef Recipes You Might Like:
Best Low Carb Keto Chili
- 1 yellow onion medium
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound Lean Ground Beef
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium red pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 1/2 cup water or broth
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper optional
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- In a large pot over medium high heat add the olive oil. Cook the onion, celery, and garlic for about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and break it apart with a spatula. Cook for about 8-10 minutes or until the meat is browned.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat (low to medium) and simmer for about 25 minutes, occasionally stirring.
- Add more seasonings to taste. Let the chili rest for a few minutes before serving.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: