The very first batch of Keto Cinnamon Rolls I made was a total fail. If you follow me on Instagram you have probably seen how bad looking they turned out.
The original recipe calls for two tablespoons of cream cheese and as at the time I didn’t have any, I decided to add two tablespoons of heavy whipping cream because why not… They turned out so flat, like cookies.
The taste was pretty good but they didn’t look like breakfast cinnamon rolls. With a few adjustments, I came up with a recipe that’s super tasty and low in carbs.
Went shopping and got cream cheese. The second batch was a success. I added sweetener and cinnamon powder in the dough too.
The ingredients for the Keto Cinnamon Rolls Dough
- 6 oz shredded mozzarella cheese (low-moisture, part-skim)
- 3 oz almond flour
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 whole egg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons sweetener
Ingredients for the Keto Cinnamon Rolls Filling
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/8 cup sweetener
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
Keto Cinnamon Rolls Icing Ingredients
This is a basic mixture of the following ingredients:
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sweetener
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract.
Don’t be shocked that the dough is made out of mozzarella cheese because you definitely can’t feel it. Mozzarella has a neutral taste so you can make sweet keto treats with it and have no problem.
I put the keto cinnamon rolls to a test and asked my non-keto family members to guess the ingredients in this keto dessert. They said that they can definitely taste the cinnamon, almond flour and butter. And that’s it. No trace of mozzarella.
They were so surprised when I told them that the keto cinnamon rolls were made out of mozzarella dough.
How to make the keto cinnamon rolls dough out of mozzarella?
There are two ways you can make the dough.
In a bowl mix the mozzarella cheese and the cream cheese. Microwave for 30-40 seconds or until the cheese starts to melt. Incorporate well the almond flour, the beaten egg, the sweetener, the cinnamon powder and the baking powder in the cheese mixture.
For me, this method is a little bit difficult because I’m not quite sure how well all the ingredients will mix in the melted cheese.
I used this method with the first round of the keto rolls. It might be one of the reasons why I didn’t get fluffy keto cinnamon rolls.
This is how it looks before using the microwave. This way I am sure that the almond flour and the rest of the ingredients are well mixed with the cheese.
Add the whisked egg and mix the dough until it comes together in a solid ball. If it’s too sticky you can sprinkle some almond flour, so it can be handled well.
Easily begin to roll from side to side into one long roll.
Out of the oven, the hot keto cinnamon rolls look fantastic. Remember that this keto cinnamon recipe is wheat-free, dairy, gluten and sugar-free.
If you are a vegetarian make sure you include this dessert in your vegetarian keto meal plan.
If you are making this recipe let me know in the comments below or tag me on Instagram #LowCarbSpark. I would love to see your keto creations.
Low Carb Keto Cinnamon Rolls with Fat Dough
Keto Cinnamon Rolls Dough
Keto Cinnamon Rolls Filling
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine the mozzarella, cream cheese, almond flour, cinnamon, baking powder and sweetener until the shredded cheese is well covered.
- Microwave the cheese mix for 40-50 seconds or until the cheese has melted.
- Put the dough on a piece of parchment paper. Top with another sheet of parchment
- Using a rolling pin roll the dough into a long rectangle.
- Mix the ingredients for the filling in a small bowl.
- Spread the filling over the rolled cheese dough.
- Easily begin to roll from side to side into one long roll.
- Using a sharp knife cut into 1/2 inch long cinnamon rolls and place them on a baking tray.
- Let them cook for about 10-15 minutes or until they start to brown.
- While the keto cinnamon rolls are baking, prepare the frosting. Combine the frosting ingredients in a bowl until the mixture is creamy and smooth.
- After you get the rolls out of the oven spread the frosting over the rolls and enjoy!
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don't raise blood sugar.
Need Low Carb Basics?
Click the buttons below to buy low carb essentials.