This Parmesan Crusted Cod is tender, flaky, and moist with a delicious parmesan topping. Make the best oven-baked cod recipe that’s ready in less than 20 minutes. A family favorite cod recipe that’s naturally keto-friendly, gluten-free, and pairs perfectly with many side dishes.
Fish is a staple in my kitchen, whether fresh, frozen, or canned. It comes together quickly, and there are endless ways to serve. Whether you’re choosing to make Air Fryer Salmon, Pan Seared Halibut, or Cream Cheese Baked Salmon, you’re in for a real treat that everyone will love.
This parmesan-crusted cod recipe it’s such an elegant way to serve fish, and it’s the perfect recipe for a quick dinner but fancy enough to serve guests. Incredibly delicious, this rivals any cod I’ve eaten so far at the restaurants.
- Why Are You Going To Love This Parmesan Crusted Cod Recipe
- Parmesan Crusted Cod Ingredients
- How To Make Parmesan Crusted Cod
- Tips for The Best Baked Cod
- How Long Should I Bake The Cod at 400 F?
- Can I Make Parmesan Air Fryer Cod?
- Can I Use Frozen Cod?
- How Many Calories?
- What to Serve with Parmesan Crusted Cod
- How To Store
- Looking For More Healthy Fish Recipes? Try these:
- Parmesan Crusted Cod
Why Are You Going To Love This Parmesan Crusted Cod Recipe
- Cod is a super easy fish to cook.
- A healthy dinner option since it’s baked and not fried.
- Ready in just 20 minutes
- It’s great even for picky eaters
- Loaded with protein and flavor
Parmesan Crusted Cod Ingredients
This cod recipe doesn’t need any fancy or complicated ingredients, yet the result is fantastic. Once you gather all the ingredients, it’s a breeze to make baked cod.
Here’s a note on the ingredients:
- Cod fillets – You can use both fresh and frozen cod, but make sure to defrost it first. You’ll need fillets that have a similar 1-inch thickness, so they cook evenly.
- Egg – helps the coating stick better to the fish.
- Lemon Zest – you’ll need the zest from one small lemon.
- Parmesan cheese – freshly shredded is the best.
- Garlic Powder – you can also use fresh minced garlic to taste intense.
- Seasonings – paprika, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
How To Make Parmesan Crusted Cod
Baking fish fillets in crispy parmesan crust is not as complicated a recipe as it sounds. So here’s how to make the best baked cod:
- Prepare the Cod Fillets– If you’re using frozen fish, allow to defrost overnight, then pat dry using paper towels to remove as much moisture as possible.
- Prepare the Parmesan Crust– To make the crust combine the parmesan and the seasonings.
- Assemble– Dip each piece of fish into the beaten egg, then coat both sides with the Parmesan mixture.
- Bake the parmesan-crusted cod for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown on top, and the fish flakes easily.
Tips for The Best Baked Cod
- If using frozen cod, thaw completely before cooking. Let the fish defrost in the fridge overnight. Using the microwave might ruin the texture.
- I always pat dry the fish before baking or frying to remove excess moisture. This helps the coating stick better and browns nicely.
- Check if the fillets still have bones. If necessary, pull them out using tweezers in the same direction in which they are oriented.
- Make sure not to overcook the cod to avoid a tough and gummy texture.
- You’ll know it’s done when it flakes easily and doesn’t look translucent or raw.
How Long Should I Bake The Cod at 400 F?
Cod bakes quickly at 400F, and depending on the thickness, it takes around 10 to 12 minutes.
To bake cod at 350F let it cook for 25-30 minutes.
Tip: For each inch of thickness, cook cod for 10 minutes. Remember that baking temperature varies depending on lots of factors, and you should always check for doneness.
Can I Make Parmesan Air Fryer Cod?
Sure, place the parmesan-crusted cod in your air fryer basket and make sure not to overcrowd it. Spray the tops with cooking spray. Air Fry at 400F for 10 minutes, and flip on the other side. Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes or until the internal temperature is 145F.
Can I Use Frozen Cod?
Yes, Frozen Cod fillets are a great option. You must thaw the frozen fish before cooking.
It’s essential to pat dry the fish fillet with clean paper towels to remove any excess water.
How Many Calories?
This baked Parmesan Crusted Cod is only 214 calories per serving.
What to Serve with Parmesan Crusted Cod
What do you pair cod with? The options are endless. The baked parmesan crusted cod is delicious and so simple, fresh out of the oven. You can serve it with a lot of vegetable side dishes.
Here are some great ideas that pair perfectly with baked cod:
- Whole Roasted Cauliflower
- Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
- Crispy Parmesan Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Turnip Au Gratin
- 2 Ingredient Cauliflower Ric
How To Store
- Fridge: You can refrigerate any leftover baked cod fish in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Reheat- For the best results, reheat in the oven at 350F for about 10 minutes. I’m not a fan of microwaving fish.
- Freezer– I do not recommend freezing the leftovers because it will completely change the texture and taste.
Looking For More Healthy Fish Recipes? Try these:
- 15-minute Pan-Seared Cajun Salmon
- Easy Keto Salmon Quiche – Savory Low Carb Pie
- Keto Tuna Cakes with Lemon Dill Aioli
Parmesan Crusted Cod
- 4 cod filets 6 oz each, 1-inch thick
- 1 large egg beaten
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F/ 200 degrees C. If you’re using frozen fillets, thaw them first.
- Pat dry the cod fillets with paper towels. Set aside.
- In a shallow bowl, crack the egg and beat it well.
- In a second bowl, combine the parmesan, lemon zest, and seasonings.
- Dip each piece of fish into the beaten egg, then coat both sides with the Parmesan mixture.
- Arrange the parmesan crusted cod pieces onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the fish flakes easily.
- Serve with lemon wedges and sprinkle with fresh parsley.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: