Sauteed zucchini and tomatoes are quickly seared in a skillet over medium-high heat, then topped with a generous layer of cheese to make this delicious summer side dish. You will love the classic combination of tomatoes and zucchini.
Just think about some chopped zucchini and tomatoes seasoned with dried herbs and cooked to perfection, then topped with a lot of melty cheese. Delicious, right?
This easy side dish is one of my favorites to prepare since it pairs well with almost any main dish. However, you can’t go wrong with this side dish because it needs only simple ingredients.
This recipe’s best description is that it tastes and smells like summer. And that’s because you can use up your extra summer garden zucchini and ripe tomatoes.
Enjoy a fresh, simple, and flavourful side dish that can be served as a side dish, quick lunch, or even as a snack right from the fridge.
- Why Are You Going To Love This Zucchini and Tomatoes Recipe
- A Note on the Ingredients
- How To Make Sauteed Zucchini And Tomatoes
- Tips And Variations For This Recipe
- What To Serve With This Sauteed Zucchini And Tomatoes
- Storing Leftovers
- More Delicious Side Dish Recipes
- Sauteed Zucchini And Tomatoes
Why Are You Going To Love This Zucchini and Tomatoes Recipe
- It’s a healthy and extremely easy-to-make.
- It can be made ahead of time.
- Made from healthy and naturally low-carb ingredients.
- The best side dish for any protein
A Note on the Ingredients
The ingredients required for this recipe are extremely easy to find, especially in the summer season. So take a look, make your grocery list, and make this side dish.
- Zucchini – you can also use any summer squash you have on hand.
- Tomatoes – you can use any type of tomatoes you like. Personally, I like using those large tomatoes that are juicy and sweet. Plum or cherry tomatoes are also fantastic options.
- Onion & Garlic – use fresh onion and garlic for an intense flavor.
- Italian Seasoning – I used my favorite homemade Italian Seasoning, but you can use dried parsley and basil instead.
- Olive Oil – gives these vegetables a fantastic flavor and prevents them from sticking to the pan. You can also use butter.
- Salt&Pepper – to taste.
- Mozzarella and Parmesan Cheese – I recommend using freshly grated cheese.
How To Make Sauteed Zucchini And Tomatoes
I love how easy it is to make this recipe and its delicious result. It is one of those recipes that doesn’t require cooking skills or too much time spent in the kitchen. Here is everything you have to do:
- Peel and chop the onion. Then add the olive oil to a skillet over medium heat and cook until tender.
- Add the garlic and zucchini, and cook for about five minutes until crisp-tender.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and seasonings.
- Top the sauteed vegetables with freshly grated mozzarella and parmesan cheese and let it rest for 3 minutes until the cheese melts.
Tips And Variations For This Recipe
- You can replace the dried herbs with fresh ones for a better flavor.
- Add some yellow squash for extra flavor and color the dish.
- Don’t cut your zucchini too thin because they will cook too quickly and become very soft.
- Feel free to add other chopped vegetables like bell pepper or mushrooms.
- Since this recipe cooks quickly, it’s a good idea to have all your vegetables diced before you start cooking.
- Try to cut the vegetables to equal sizes to ensure even cooking.
What To Serve With This Sauteed Zucchini And Tomatoes
Sometimes I like to make this recipe and eat it simple as it is, but if you need some ideas, here are some main dishes you can enjoy:
- Parmesan Crusted Cod
- Baked Chicken Legs
- Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- Garlic Butter Pork Tenderloin
- Salmon Patties
- Juicy Pan-Seared Pork Chops
Also, if you have any leftovers, you can use them as a topping on your pizza, or you can use them to make some scrambled eggs.
You can store this sauteed zucchini and tomatoes in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
More Delicious Side Dish Recipes
- Best Ratatouille Recipe
- Air Fryer Cauliflower
- Sauteed Eggplant Recipe
- Best Zucchini Casserole – Super Creamy and Cheesy
- Crispy Parmesan Baked Zucchini Fries
Sauteed Zucchini And Tomatoes
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Sautee the onion for 3-4 minutes or until tender.
- Add minced garlic and chopped zucchini. Cook zucchini for 4-5 minutes until crip tender.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cook for 2-3 more minutes until the tomatoes begin to burst.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese (if used). Cover with a lid and remove from the heat. Serve immediately.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: