Learn how to make the best Cajun Shrimp Foil Packets recipe in only 30 minutes. It’s super easy to prepare, perfectly seasoned, and loaded with shrimp, sausage, and juicy vegetables.
This delicious Cajun shrimp and sausage is made from succulent shrimp, savory sausage, and a colorful mix of fresh vegetables cooked until tender, all loaded with the bold and zesty flavors of a delicious homemade cajun seasoning that will leave you asking for more.
Whether you want a quick dinner recipe or want to prepare something impressive for your guests, these shrimp and sausage foil packets are perfect for you.
Prepped with minimal effort, our Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Vegetable Foil Packets are a game-changer. This recipe delivers a mouthwatering and visually stunning meal, making it ideal for gatherings or for relishing a flavorful dinner with loved ones.
Using only one bowl to season the ingredients and 30 minutes of your time, you can whip up this easy shrimp sausage recipe that will impress absolutely everyone. So what are you waiting for? Gather all the ingredients and enjoy one of the best culinary masterpieces.
What Are Shrimp Foil Packets?
Shrimp foil packets are a popular and convenient meal that’s made of shrimp, a variety of vegetables, seasonings, and sometimes other proteins like sausage.
These foil packets are typically cooked on a grill, in the oven, or over a campfire. The heat will gently steam the ingredients inside the packets, allowing them to cook at the same time while infusing the flavors. The result is an irresistible combination of tender shrimp, juicy sausage, and perfectly cooked vegetables, all enhanced by the robust and spicy Cajun seasoning.
Why Are You Going To Love These Shrimp Foil Packets
- Delicious: Every bite is a delightful explosion of savory tastes that will keep you coming back for more.
- Quick and Easy: With minimal prep and virtually no cleanup, you’ve got a meal that looks and tastes as if you’ve been at it for hours.
- Lunch? Dinner? Both! Whether it’s a midday treat or an evening feast, these foil packets pair wonderfully with your preferred side dish, elevating your lunch or dinner to a whole new level.
- Make ahead: Got a busy day coming up? Prepare these in advance, ensuring a delicious meal is always ready when you are.
- Customizable: Tailor each packet to suit individual tastes. Whether you prefer extra spices, a certain vegetable, or a specific sauce, you can easily modify each packet.
Ingredients Needed and Substitutions
You’ll be surprised to discover that you can prepare such a delicious and impressive shrimp and sausage foil packets recipe using just a few simple ingredients that will surprise everyone. Here is a list of everything you will need:
- Shrimp – I used peeled, deveined shrimp with the tails removed for convenience.
- Pork Sausage – Feel free to use your favorite type of sausage, like turkey or chicken.
- Zucchini – Use fresh zucchini, or you can also replace it with summer squash.
- Yellow Squash – Adds a subtle sweetness and a vibrant color to the dish.
- Bell Pepper – I used red bell pepper, but you can also use a mix of green, red, and yellow ones for a boost of color.
- Cajun Seasoning – You can use homemade cajun seasoning with our recipe or buy it from the store. Just make sure to read the label before buying it.
- Olive Oil – Feel free to replace it with any other vegetable oil.
- Salt and pepper – to taste. It is used to enhance the overall flavor profile of this dish.
How To Make This Cajun Shrimp Foil Packets
You must follow only a few simple steps to prepare these delicious cajun shrimp and sausage vegetable foil packets. Here is everything you need to do:
Prepare The Vegetables
Begin with those fresh vegetables. Give them a good wash and pat them dry.
The key here is to slice them uniformly, ensuring they all cook at the same pace. This tiny step can be the difference between perfectly tender veggies and ones that are over or underdone.
Grab your largest mixing bowl—it’s time to season! In it goes the shrimp, sausage, zucchini, yellow squash, and bell peppers. A sprinkle of salt and pepper sets the base, but the real magic happens when you pour in that olive oil and sprinkle the Cajun seasoning.
Now, use a silicone spatula to mix. This tool ensures a gentle yet thorough coat, ensuring every bit gets its share of the flavor fest.
Assemble The Foil Packets
On a baking tray, lay out four 12”x12” aluminum foil sheets. In the center of each sheet, place about 1 and 1/2 cups of your seasoned mixture.
Now, it’s folding time. The top and ends need to be folded in, but remember to leave a bit of room inside. This space will allow steam to form, further infusing flavors and ensuring everything inside gets perfectly cooked.
Transfer the baking pan to the preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the veggies are perfectly cooked, the succulent is shrimp, and the sausage bursts with flavor.
The real magic happens when you open these packets. The steam, the aroma, the medley of colors—it’s a sensory delight. Do be careful while unfolding the foil, though; the steam is hot!
- Shrimp cooks quickly and turns opaque when done. To avoid overcooking, you can peek into one packet around the 15-minute mark.
- Always opt for fresh, high-quality shrimp. Frozen shrimp can be used, but ensure they’re completely thawed and patted dry to avoid excess moisture in the packet.
- Make your own homemade cajun seasoning and adjust the desired level of spiciness.
- I recommend using precook or smoked sausage to ensure the sausage is fully cooked and flavorful.
- Use heavy-duty aluminum foil to create sturdy and secure packets.
- Place the ingredients in the center of the foil, and leave enough space to fold and seal the edges tightly.
- After removing the foil packets from the oven, let them rest for a few minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- While this recipe uses specific vegetables and seasonings, feel free to experiment. Cherry tomatoes, slices of lemon, or even a splash of white wine can elevate the flavor.
- For an earthy and meaty flavor, include some of your favorite sliced mushrooms.
- Asparagus is another great idea that will add a delightful crunch and a vibrant green color to the foil packets.
Although sometimes I love enjoying these cajun shrimp and sausage vegetable foil packets, simple as they are, many delicious side dishes will complete perfectly with the flavors from this dish. Here are some great ideas:
- Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
- Cauliflower Rice
- Baked Zucchini With Parmesan
- Turnip Au Gratin
- Oven Roasted Vegetables
- Fridge: you can store any shrimp and sausage foil packets leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- To Reheat: add them to a skillet and cook for about 3 minutes until heated through.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Freeze These Shrimp And Sausage Vegetable Foil Packets?
You can also freeze the leftovers from this dish for later in an airtight container for up to 2 months. However, you may know that the texture will slightly change once thawed.
Can I Make This Recipe With Frozen Shrimp?
Sure, you can use frozen shrimp for making these foil packets. Just make sure to thaw them completely overnight before cooking.
Can I Make This Recipe In Advance?
Sure, actually this recipe is perfect for making ahead of time and stored in the fridge until you want to enjoy it. Just make sure to store it in an airtight container.
More Shrimp Recipes
- Shrimp Fajitas Recipe
- Shrimp Spring Rolls
- Super Crispy Keto Fried Shrimp – Low-Carb Shrimp Recipe
- 20 Minute Grilled Shrimp Skewers
Cajun Shrimp And Sausage Vegetable Foil Packets
- Preheat the oven to 400F/200C.
- Wash and slice the vegetables into the same size.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine shrimp, sausage, zucchini, yellow squash, and bell peppers. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with Cajun seasoning. Toss everything together ensuring the ingredients are well-coated with the seasoning. Season with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Lay out 4 pieces of aluminum foil, each about 12''x12'', then add 1 and 1/2 cups of shrimp and sausage vegetable mixture in the center of each foil.
- Fold the top and ends of each piece of foil to form a sealed packet, ensuring there are no gaps for steam to escape.
- Transfer the sealed foil packets to a baking sheet. Place them in the preheated oven and bake until the shrimp is cooked through and the vegetables are crisp-tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Carefully and slowly open each foil packet, being mindful of the escaping hot steam.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.