Easy Creamy Chicken Marsala is an insanely delicious Italian inspired recipe that’s ready in less than 30 minutes. Enjoy a dish of tender golden pan-seared chicken smothered in a rich Marsala wine mushroom sauce.
Every time I’m going to a restaurant, I love to order Chicken Marsala because it’s utterly addictive and fancy. Since I discovered this incredible recipe, I tried to make it at home, and I finally found the best recipe that impresses the guests.
Marsala wine is a brandy-fortified wine from Sicily that comes in two main kinds: sweet and dry. Dry Marsala is your best option when making savory dishes.
How to Make the Best Chicken Marsala
- Start by prepping the chicken. Chose boneless chicken breast and using with a sharp knife slice, horizontally toward the thickest end to cut into two even halves.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken in the pan, season with salt and pepper. Cook on each side for a few minutes until golden-brown. I love using both olive oil and butter to fry the chicken because it makes the perfect golden browned chicken and delivers fantastic flavors.
- After you remove the chicken from the pan, add some more olive oil and cook the mushrooms in the same pan as the chicken. The chicken bits add tons of flavor into the sauce!
- Make the Marsala Sauce: Add Marsala wine, heavy cream, chicken broth and seasonings in the pan. Let all the flavors combine and wait for the sauce to thicken.
Substitutes for Marsala Wine
- Madeira wine (any dry wine could work) – tastes similar to Marsala Wine
- 1/4 cup grape juice + 1 tbsp vanilla extract + 2 tbsp sherry vinegar (non-alcoholic substitute)
- Red Vermouth (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup of a dry white wine+1 teaspoon of brandy
- Port (1/2 cup) – pricey but good!
How to serve chicken marsala?
Easy Creamy Chicken Marsala Recipe
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat.Half the chicken breast to make 4 fillets. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Fry until golden-brown, about 3-4 minutes each side. Remove chicken and set aside on a plate. Tent with foil and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and cook the mushrooms for 2-3 minutes. Add marsala wine and boil over medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, pour the heavy whipping cream, ground mustard, and garlic powder. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil and reduce the heat. Simmer for about 10 minutes with a lid on until the sauce starts to thicken. Return chicken in the sauce and simmer for another 1-2 minutes.