This cloud bread recipe is super easy to make, fluffy, and has just 3 basic ingredients. Learn how to make the best keto cloud bread recipe (or oopsie bread) that’s grain-free and perfect for sandwiches.
What is Cloud Bread?
Cloud bread is a low carb bread replacement that’s also called oopsie bread. Made using only 3 ingredients, this keto bread has a light and fluffy texture. It’s a high-protein bread that needs no keto flour, such as blanched almond flour or coconut flour.
Not only this cloud bread is low in carbs, but also low in calories. To make oopsie bread you have to beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form, then incorporate the cream cheese.
I’m not sure who is the original creator of this no carb bread, but it’s definitely a great option for everyone looking for a 1 carb per serving bread recipe.
It is super versatile, and you can get creative and add any toppings you have on hand.
Baked until they get a golden color, I can finally enjoy my sandwich, but without all the carbs.
Why Are You Going To Love This Cloud Bread Recipe
- Low carb and low calorie bread alternative
- Naturally gluten free and grain free
- Super fluffy and airy.
- Easy to make in just 30 minutes from start to finish
- Freezer Friendly
Ingredients in Cloud Bread
For this bread substitute, Oopsie bread, Oopsie rolls, cloud bread call it as you want, the main ingredients you need are eggs, cream cheese, and cream of tartar.
If you want a richer, creamier taste, replace the cream cheese with the same amount of mascarpone.
- eggs – use large eggs at room temperature. We’ll need both the egg whites and yolks, but separated.
- cream cheese – Full fat cream cheese is what I used to make cloud bread, but mascarpone in my next favorite, especially when I want to make sweet cloud bread.
- cream of tartar – acts as a stabilizer for the egg whites and keeps them super fluffy while incorporating the other ingredients. I highly recommend using it but you can skip it.
How to Make Cloud Bread
It’s super easy to make cloud bread at home in just a few easy steps. All you have to do is to whisk the eggs whites and then incorporate the cream cheese. Then bake in the oven until nice and brown.
They are called cloud bread for a reason. Every keto bun is light, airy, and low in calories.
To make sure that the buns turn out tasty and fluffy, make sure to:
- Use room temperature eggs and whip the egg whites with cream of tartar in a bowl that is 100% dry because you don’t want any extra water.
- Make sure you use cream of tartar (or any leavening agent) to help the batter rise. The cream of tartar is the only one (I tried all the other substitutes) that keeps the buns from flattening out while cooling down. In my opinion, it also helps a lot with the texture.
- Carefully and gently fold the whipped egg whites in the cream cheese and egg yolks mixture. You want to keep the batter as airy as possible
- Form the cloud buns- Spoon the egg mixture onto a lined baking sheet and shape them into 1/2 inch thick circles. This recipe makes 6 cloud buns.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until they are golden brown on top.
Can I Make Oopsie Bread Without Cream of Tartar?
Cream of tartar is used to stabilize egg whites when whipping them. It’s the ingredient that helps your keto bread remain fluffy after you get it out of the oven.
I’m telling you a secret. I made this recipe without cream of tartar or any of its replacements, and it turned out just great.
Replacements for Cream of Tartar
If you don’t have cream of tartar (potassium hydrogen tartrate) in your pantry, you can replace every 1/2 tsp of cream of tartar with 1 tsp of lemon juice or 1 tsp white vinegar. You should obtain the same result.
In this recipe, you need 1/8 tsp cream of tartar, so if you don’t have any replace with:
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice or
- 1/4 tsp white vinegar
People use the keto cloud bread in egg fasts, to get past a weight loss plateau.
Cloud Bread Calories
This cloud bread is super low in calories and high in protein. It’s a perfect addition to your meal plan if you’re looking to increase your protein intake without extra carbs.
Cloud Bread has only 86 calories and almost zero carbs.
Tips for The Best Keto Cloud Bread
- Line or grease the baking sheet with parchment paper. Foil is not a great option. Even if you grease it, the oopsie rolls will stick.
- Make sure all the ingredients are at room temperature. This greatly reduces the eggy taste while it helps the stiff peaks to form faster. Also, the cream cheese incorporates easier into the fluffy egg whites.
- Incorporate the egg yolks and cream cheese mixture in batches to keep the batter as fluffy as possible. Work as gently as possible using a rubber spatula.
- Don’t overbeat the egg whites. You’ll end up with a runny batter.
How to Serve Cloud Bread
The best part is that you can use this 3 ingredient cloud bread exactly as you would use regular white bread. Here are my favorite ways:
- Great for Sandwiches
- Make mini keto pizza using cloud bread as a crust.
- Serve with soup.
- Breadsticks- sprinkle cheese and cut it into breadsticks.
- Serve as a toast for homemade chia jam.
- Make Keto Grilled Cheese.
How To Store Cloud Bread
Cloud bread tastes the best on the first day after baking, and I recommend eating them fresh. However, here are some of the best ways to store this low carb bread:
- Refrigerator: To store cloud bread in the refrigerator, wrap them individually in parchment paper and place them in an airtight container. Store for up to one week.
- Freezer: Cloud Bread is freezer friendly. First, freeze in a single layer, and then transfer to a plastic bag. To serve, thaw overnight in the fridge.
- Reheating instructions: I love using the toaster to reheat cloud bread that has been stored in the refrigerator or freezer. Pay attention to using the lowest setting because it burns way faster than regular wheat flour bread.
Looking For More Keto Bread Recipes? Try these:
- 90 Second Keto Bread – Low Carb Bread in a Mug
- Easy Keto Coconut Flour Bread – Low Carb Bread Recipe
- The Best Keto Bread without Eggs
- Italian Herb Keto Bread – 2g Net Carbs
- Vegan Keto Bread – Best Eggless Low Carb Bread
The Best Keto Cloud Bread (Oopsie Bread Recipe)
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F/ 150 degrees C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly spray.
- Separate the eggs, the whites in a bowl and the yolks in other.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and the cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.
- In a different bowl combine cream cheese, and egg yolks until you get a smooth texture.
- Gently and slowly fold the egg whites into the cream cheese yolk mixture using a spatula.
- Scoop the mixture into six circular shapes onto the parchment paper.
- Sprinkle pink salt or any spices you love on the top of each cloud bread.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until golden and fluffy.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: