Learn how to make the best green goddess dressing recipe that adds creaminess and an explosion of flavors to any salad you want.
Super versatile, ready in under 10 minutes, and loaded with so many delicious flavors, this green goddess salad dressing recipe can be used for salads or as a dip for your favorite vegetable sticks or tortilla chips.
Bursting with the vibrant flavors of fresh herbs, zesty citrus flavors, and a creamy texture from the avocado, this easy dressing recipe will transform your everyday salads into extraordinary culinary experiences.
Nothing beats the flavor of this creamy dressing in the freshest Green Goddess salad since it is made at home from fresh ingredients, without any other preservatives. So what are you waiting for? Make your favorite salad and give it a final touch with this easy green goddess dressing. You won’t regret it.
What Is Green Goddess Dressing?
Popular in the United States in the 1920s, green goddess dressing is a classic and versatile salad dressing recipe that’s typically made with a base of mayonnaise or sour cream combined with a variety of fresh herbs such as parsley, chives, tarragon, and basil.
A great thing about this green goddess dressing is that it is not limited to salads, and you can also use it as a dip for vegetables, topping for sandwiches and wraps, or as a sauce for grilled meat and seafood, due to its fresh and herbaceous taste.
Ingredients For Green Goddess Dressing
This green goddess dressing is a delicious creamy dressing that’s made with fresh ingredients that you can find in almost any grocery store. Here is a list of everything you will need:
- Basil – You know basil, right? It’s that leafy herb that adds a punch of unique flavor and a lovely green hue to our dressing. If you want to switch things up, fresh cilantro or parsley can bring a different twist.
- Baby Spinach – We’re tossing in some baby spinach to give our dressing that gorgeous green color and a hint of earthiness. But if you’re feeling adventurous, arugula or kale can shake things up nicely.
- Avocado – Creaminess? Check. Flavor boost? Check. And it keeps our dressing gorgeously green.
- Jalapenos – These little guys are the secret to our dressing’s spicy kick and overall flavor.
- Shallot – Ah, shallots! They bring a mild and sweet flavor to our Green Goddess party. Want to change it up? Red onion brings a bit more punch, and green onions offer a milder touch.
- Cashews – Cashews, once they’re blended, create that luxuriously smooth texture and thicken things up. Blanched almonds or pine nuts can offer a similar creaminess.
- Parmesan Cheese – This cheese is all about savory, umami goodness and, you guessed it, creaminess.
- Garlic Cloves – Fresh garlic is the life of our flavor party, bringing that intense kick. No substitutions here; fresh garlic is the real MVP.
- Lime – Our dressing’s tangy, citrusy sidekick that plays well with others. If you’re out of limes, a little lemon juice can work its magic.
- Olive Oil – It’s the rich, flavorful foundation of our dressing. And don’t worry, you can use your favorite oil if you prefer. If you’re feeling fancy, avocado oil, grapeseed oil, or walnut oil can give your dressing a different flair.
- Salt and Pepper – used to enhance all the flavors in this dressing recipe.
How To Make Green Goddess Dressing
Another reason why I love this green goddess dressing so much is because it is extremely easy to make. So here is everything you need to do:
Blend. Add all of the ingredients to your blender and blend until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
Blend again. If your sauce is too thick, pour 1/4 cup of water into the blender and blend again until it reaches the right consistency.
Adjust. Add more water or salt and pepper until the dressing reaches your desired consistency and taste.
Tips For Making The Best Green Goddess Dressing
- Fresh basil, spinach, and garlic will make a significant difference in flavor.
- Adjust the dressing’s thickness to your liking by adding a bit more olive oil or water. Customization is the name of the game.
- Green Goddess Dressing becomes even more delicious when you let it chill in the fridge for an hour or two.
- If you don’t have jalapeno poppers, add a few drops of Sriracha for extra heat.
- For a little kick, add a tablespoon of Dijon mustard.
- To prepare a cheesy ranch, add your favorite mix of shredded cheeses to the mixture.
How To Store
- Fridge: You can store this dressing in your fridge in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
- Freezer: You can freeze this green goddess dressing in an airtight freezer-safe container or freezer bags for up to 2 months, but you may need to know that freezing may affect the texture and consistency of the dressing.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Substitute The Cashews In The Dressing?
Sure, you can substitute the cashews with other nuts like almonds. This can provide a different flavor and texture to the dressing.
Can I Make This Recipe With Dried Herbs?
This dressing recipe is recommended for its fresh flavor from the green herbs, and substituting them with dried ones will change the flavor and color intensity.
More Salad Dressing Recipes
- Avocado Ranch Dressing
- Balsamic Vinegar Dressing
- The Best Homemade Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing
- Easy Keto Ranch Dressing
- Lime Crema Recipe
Green Goddess Dressing
- Add all of the ingredients to your blender and blend until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Pour 1/4 cup of water into the blender and blend again until it reaches the right consistency.
- Add more water or salt and pepper until the dressing reaches your desired consistency and taste.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.