This keto zebra cake is super soft, moist, fluffy, and topped with a luscious sugar-free chocolate frosting. You won’t believe how easy it is to make this low-carb cake. Seriously, it’s a piece of cake to make (pun intended), using everyday ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen.
Hello there, dessert lovers! Ready to dig into something delicious and quick to make? Our sugar-free Keto Zebra Cake is all about delicious flavors perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth in a friendly way.
Just like my keto marble cake, you’ll be amazed by the beautiful swirls of vanilla and chocolate in this recipe. Creating them is a breeze, and you don’t need any advanced cooking skills.
Honestly, this keto zebra cake is one of the easiest sugar-free dessert recipes I have made; that’s perfect for any occasion, especially for festive meals, birthdays, or holidays.
What Is Zebra Cake?
Zebra cake is a type of dessert recipe that showcases an eye-catching design that mirrors the distinct stripes of a zebra, which is how it earned its name.
These layers achieve by playfully layering or swirling two different-colored batters – often chocolate and vanilla – in a manner that brings out a cool marbled or striped effect when you slice into the cake.
This zebra cake not only gives a visual treat but also provides a balanced blend of flavors, making it a popular choice for celebrations, gatherings, and simply enjoying a slice of cake with a unique twist.
Is Zebra Cake Keto-Friendly?
Traditional zebra cakes are made with flour, sugar, and other high-carb ingredients, which are not good for a Keto Diet due to their carbohydrate content.
However, my gluten-free marble cake recipe uses almond flour, coconut flour flour instead of regular wheat flour and replace regular sugar with sweeteners like stevia, erythritol, or monk fruit.
Why Are You Going To Love This Keto Zebra Cake Recipe
- It’s a sugar-free and gluten-free dessert recipe.
- You can make it ahead of time.
- Loaded with delicious chocolate and vanilla flavors.
- Has only 6g net carbs per serving.
- It’s a versatile recipe. You can enjoy it for many special occasions or a sweet craving.
- Made from naturally low-carb ingredients.
- Super quick and easy to make.
Ingredients For Keto Zebra Cake Recipe
The ingredients used to make this sugar-free zebra cake are basic and easy to find, and it’s likely to have most of them in your kitchen. Here is a list of everything you need:
- Eggs – provide structure and moisture to the cake. Use large room-temperature eggs.
- Almond Flour and Coconut Flour – are the best substitutes for wheat flour in keto baking.
- Baking Powder – a great leavening agent that helps the cake rise.
- Heavy Cream – adds moisture and creaminess to the cake.
- Sweetener – you can use any keto-friendly sweetener like Allulose, Erythritol, Monk fruit or a low carb sweetener blend.
- Butter – it’s a good source of healthy fats that adds a buttery texture and flavor to the cake.
- Vanilla Extract – enhances the overall flavor of the cake.
For Chocolate Batter
- Cocoa Powder – used to create the chocolate-flavored batter. Use unsweetened cocoa powder to keep the carb count low.
- Heavy Cream – adds moisture and creaminess to the chocolate layer.
For The Keto Chocolate Frosting
- Cream Cheese – Full fat cream cheese provides a creamy and tangy flavor that complements the richness of the chocolate.
- Butter – adds richness and flavor to the frosting.
- Dark Chocolate – used to infuse a deep chocolate flavor into the frosting.
- Heavy Cream – it’s a fantastic source of healthy fats that contributes to the creamy and smooth texture of the frosting.
- Sweetener – use any low-carb sweetener and ensure that it’s powdered.
- Cocoa Powder – intensifies the chocolate flavor of the frosting.
- Vanilla Extract – use the best quality for an intense, delicious flavor.
How To Make Keto Zebra Cake
This low carb zebra cake is extremely easy to make, and the result is divine. Here is everything you have to do:
Preparing Your Ingredients
Before you start, gather all your ingredients and ensure they are at the right temperature. Preheat your oven to 350°F/ 180°C and line your cake pan with parchment paper for easy removal later.
Tip: High-quality blanched superfine almond flour is essential for a great texture.
Making the Cake Batter
In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, heavy cream (or coconut cream), melted butter (or coconut oil), and vanilla extract. Add baking powder, sweetener, almond flour, and coconut flour. Mix until smooth, then divide the batter into two equal portions.
Creating the Chocolate Batter
In a separate bowl, mix cocoa powder and heavy cream to create a smooth chocolate batter. This will add a delightful contrast to your cake. You can sift the cocoa powder to avoid lumps.
Assembling the Zebra Cake
Preheat your oven and line the cake pan with parchment paper. Start with a cup of vanilla batter, then alternate between vanilla and chocolate. Use a toothpick or knife to create swirls for the zebra effect.
Don’t worry about perfection; the swirls can be creative.
Baking the Cake
Bake for 20-22 minutes, checking with a toothpick. When it comes out clean, the cake is done.
Preparing the Sugar-Free Chocolate Frosting
While the cake bakes, make the chocolate frosting. Combine cream cheese, butter, melted dark chocolate, heavy cream, powdered sweetener, vanilla extract, and cocoa powder in a bowl. Mix until fluffy.
Chilling and Frosting
Let the cake cool in the pan, then refrigerate for an hour. Spread the chocolate frosting evenly over the cake.
Tips For Making The Best Keto Zebra Cake
- Use high-quality keto-friendly ingredients like almond flour, coconut flour, and natural sweeteners to ensure the best taste and texture.
- Allow ingredients like eggs, butter, and cream cheese to come to room temperature before using to ensure smoother mixing.
- Sift the dry ingredients, get rid of the bigger clumps, and end up with an airy flour mixture.
- Ensure not to over-mix the batter since the cake may become tough and thick.
- Aim for even layers of both colors when adding batter to the cake pan. This helps create well-defined stripes.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before frosting or slicing to help maintain its structure and prevents frosting from melting.
- Fridge: You can store this zebra cake in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Freezer: you can also freeze any zebra cake leftovers(but without the frosting) in a freezer-safe container for up to 2 months. Then when ready to enjoy, thaw it overnight and decorate it with chocolate frosting.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Prevent The Cake From Being Too Dry?
Using keto flour can absorb more moisture, so you can fix that by adding ingredients like sour cream, yogurt, or extra butter that can help maintain moisture in the cake.
Can I Make A Dairy-Free Keto Zebra Cake?
Yes, you can replace dairy ingredients with non-dairy alternatives like coconut oil, coconut cream, and nut-based milk. Just make sure to adjust quantities and keep an eye on the texture.
More Keto Cake Recipes
- Keto Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Keto Vanilla Cake
- Keto Chocolate Orange Cake
- Keto Lemon Blueberry Cake
- Keto Dump Cake
Keto Zebra Cake
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat your oven to 350°F/180°C. Line the bottom of a 8-inch round cake pan with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, heavy cream (or coconut cream), melted butter (or coconut oil), and vanilla extract.
- Add the baking powder, sweetener, almond flour, and coconut flour to the wet mixture. Mix thoroughly until all ingredients are well combined.
- Now, divide the batter into two portions. In a separate bowl, create the chocolate batter by adding cocoa powder and heavy cream. Stir until you have a smooth chocolate cake batter.
- Begin layering your zebra cake: Start by adding about 1 cup of the vanilla batter to the bottom of the prepared pan. Then alternate with dollops of chocolate batter until you’ve used up all the batter. Use a toothpick or a knife to create a zebra stripe pattern by swirling the two batters together gently.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the chocolate frosting. In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, room temperature butter, melted unsweetened chocolate, heavy whipping cream, powdered sweetener, vanilla extract, and cocoa powder. Use an electric mixer to whip the ingredients until fluffy and creamy.
- Once the cake is baked, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool in the pan for a bit. Then transfer it to the refrigerator and let it chill for about one hour.
- After the cake has chilled, spread the prepared chocolate frosting over the top.
- Slice and enjoy your homemade Keto Zebra Cake with Chocolate Frosting!
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: