This easy oven baked tilapia recipe is the perfect healthy dinner ready in just 20 minutes. Learn how to make super flaky and tender lemon butter tilapia that will become a family favorite.
Whenever you’re short on time, make this easy oven baked tilapia recipe, and dinner is on the table in just a few minutes. Simple and quick meals that don’t require tons of time spent in the kitchen are always a great idea, especially during a busy week.
- What Is Tilapia Fish?
- Why Are You Going To Love This Baked Tilapia Recipe
- Garlic Butter Baked Tilapia Ingredients
- How To Bake Tilapia
- Tips For Baking Tilapia
- Storing Ideas
- How To Serve
- Frequently Asked Questions
- More Fish Recipes To Try
- Oven Baked Garlic Butter Lemon Tilapia
What Is Tilapia Fish?
Tilapia is one of the most commonly consumed types of fish in the US. It’s inexpensive, a fantastic source of protein, super low in calories, and has a mild flavor. So, it’s perfect to use in tons of healthy recipes
Why Are You Going To Love This Baked Tilapia Recipe
- Healthy dinner recipe that everyone loves
- Perfectly tender baked tilapia smothered in a rich garlic sauce
- A naturally low carb recipe, perfect if you’re on a keto diet
Garlic Butter Baked Tilapia Ingredients
Another great thing about this baked fish recipe is that it requires just a few basic ingredients that you probably have on hand. On top of that, it’s a one-pan meal, meaning less dishes to clean later. Here is everything you need:
- Tilapia Fillets – Either fresh or frozen, Tilapia fillets would work well. If the fillets are frozen, defrost them and pat dry before using them.
- Butter – if you are using salted butter, you have to pay attention to the amount of salt you are using. For the best flavor, I love to use grass-fed butter.
- Garlic – fresh garlic is the best for this recipe. You can use more or less as you’d like.
- Lemon – we’ll use both lemon just and lemon zest that adds a bright lemon flavor and pairs perfectly with the silky, buttery texture.
- Paprika – For a more intense flavor, use smoked paprika
- Thyme and Oregano – you can replace them with your favorite dried herbs.
- Salt and Pepper – to taste.
How To Bake Tilapia
I love how easy it is to make this delicious garlic butter lemon tilapia. Here is everything you have to do:
- Preheat the oven to 400 F degrees.
- Prepare the tilapia fillets. Pat dry the tilapia using paper towels, then arrange them into a baking dish.
- Make the marinade. In a mixing bowl, combine melted butter, lemon juice, lemon zest, and seasonings.
- Assemble the dish: Pour the garlic lemon butter over the fillets. Top with lemon slices.
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until the fish is flakey and cooked through.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and red pepper chili flakes. Enjoy!
Tips For Baking Tilapia
- If you want your tilapia fillet to have a delicious crust, you have to pat dry the fish with paper towels to remove as much moisture as possible.
- Add parmesan cheese over each tilapia fillet 5 minutes before they are ready.
- Check the filets after around 10 minutes to ensure they are not overcooked. They should take no more than 12-15 minutes to be done.
- Fridge – Store the leftover baked tilapia in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Freezer – Store this garlic butter lemon tilapia in the freezer in an airtight container for 2 months. But you need to know that once you thaw it, the texture of the fish will change a bit.
- Reheat tilapia in the oven at 350F. I don’t recommend using the microwave to reheat fish fillets.
How To Serve
I like to serve this fantastic baked tilapia recipe with lemon slices and roasted vegetables. But there are other interesting ideas that you can try:
Frequently Asked Questions
How To Choose The Perfect Tilapia Fillets?
Look for boneless, skinless tilapia fillets with pink and white-colored flesh in any grocery shop or fish market.
What Does Tilapia Taste Like?
Tilapia is a white fish that is mild and flaky, and it doesn’t taste or smell like fish at all. I like how subtle the flavor is and how it pairs well with almost any flavor combination.
How To Know When My Tilapia Is Done?
When the flesh turns white and flakes easily with a fork, you know the tilapia is done baking. If you’re still unsure, stick a thermometer in the thickest section and see if the temperature is at or above 140°F.
Can I Use Frozen Tilapia For This Recipe?
Sure, you can use frozen tilapia. But I recommend doing that only if you forget to thaw it, and if you are using frozen tilapia, you need to know that you will have to cook it longer in the oven.
More Fish Recipes To Try
- Pan Seared Halibut with Garlic Butter Sauce
- 15-minute Pan-Seared Cajun Salmon
- Cream Cheese Dill Baked Salmon
- The Best Low Carb Keto Salmon Patties Recipe
Oven Baked Garlic Butter Lemon Tilapia
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Pat dry tilapia fillets using paper towels. Arrange them in a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl, combine melted butter, minced garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, paprika, dried thyme, dried oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the tilapia and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the fish flakes easily.
- Remove from the oven, garnish and enjoy!
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: