This Homemade Coleslaw is exceptionally creamy, fresh, and crispy. It’s a breeze to make, a family favorite, and goes well with almost any main dish. So easy to prep in advance, it’s the perfect side dish for summer potlucks, BBQs, or picnics.
I’ve always thought that Coleslaw is one of those challenging to make recipes, and that’s because we never made it at home. But it’s one of the easiest recipes, requiring just a few ingredients, and to ease up your work, we suggest getting the pre-shredded cabbage blend bags.
Making Coleslaw at home became our obsession, and we enjoyed it with almost everything for a while. It’s perfect as a side dish for keto fried chicken, baked crispy chicken tenders, or salmon patties. It’s also a great addition to any sandwich.
Why Are You Going To Love This Coleslaw Salad Recipe
- It can be made ahead – shred the vegetables one or two days in advance, and prepare the dressing.
- It’s A Super Versatile Recipe
- It’s super easy to make.
- Made from naturally low-carb ingredients.
- Has a crunchy texture.
Is Coleslaw Salad Keto Friendly?
Yes, most coleslaw salad recipes are keto-friendly and can easily incorporate into a well-balanced low-carb lifestyle. However, some recipes use just a touch of sugar to balance the taste, and that adds some extra carbs.
However, my coleslaw salad recipe is keto-friendly and has only 5 grams of net carbs per serving.
Ingredients For This Coleslaw Salad
The ingredients for the Coleslaw Salad consist of cabbage, carrots, mayo, vinegar, and a few spices. I love using both purple and green cabbage because it looks pretty. It also works fine just with one type of cabbage.
Here are all the ingredients you’ll need for coleslaw salad:
- Cabbage – you can use any cabbage you like. I like to use green and purple cabbage for a great mix of colors.
- Mayonnaise – this ingredient is used to create a creamy and rich salad.
- Vinegar – Vinegar is an essential component of almost any salad dressing. It gives a level of tangy flavor to the salad.
- Sweetener – gives a sweet touch that completes the salad perfectly.
- Celery Seed
- Salt&Pepper – to taste. But you can add other seasonings like dried dill, smoked paprika, or parsley.
How to Make This Classic Coleslaw
Out of convenience, you can buy the prepared mixes from the store, but it’s so easy to make it at home.
This salad is ready in less than 10 minutes, and here’s everything you need to do:
- Thinly shred the cabbage and the carrots.
- Make the delicious coleslaw dressing by combining all the ingredients.
- Combine the dressing with the shredded cabbage mix and devour.
Tips For Making The Best Creamy Coleslaw Salad
- The secret of a successful Coleslaw salad is the cabbage is cut as thin and fine as possible. As a result, it will soften but will keep a crunchy texture.
- It is even tastier the next day after it has been refrigerated so that you can prepare a larger portion.
- Reduce the number of carrots if you are looking for a super low-carb coleslaw salad. Carrots are an acceptable vegetable on a ketogenic diet because one cup provides only 7g of net carbs. Leaving out the carrots will save you about 2g of carbs, so it’s your choice.
- Fridge – if there are any leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days and no more because they will become a mess the more you keep them.
This salad can’t be stored in the freezer because cabbage doesn’t freeze well.
This coleslaw salad is very popular in many countries because it is versatile and can be served with many dishes, especially grilled – BBQ and baked chicken breast, or you can use it for a sandwich with meat.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is Coleslaw Salad?
Coleslaw salad is a world-famous salad often used in fast food. It is a recipe whose main ingredient is cabbage and the famous dressing that tastes so good.
The ingredients differ from recipe to recipe, with many variations. It can also contain carrots, celery, onions, peppers, or apples.
Can I Make This Recipe Ahead Of Time?
Sure, I recommend combining the ingredients the night before serving to make coleslaw salad ahead since the dressing lasts for about 3 days in the refrigerator.
What’s the Best Dressing for Coleslaw?
This is our favorite creamy and tangy dressing that has the perfect sweetness and pairs perfectly with this salad. You’ll need just six ingredients to prepare this dressing.
- Mayonnaise – the base of the dressing makes this salad so creamy and packed with flavors. Choose the highest quality you can find, or make it at home. If paleo, I recommend getting my favorite Avocado Oil Mayonnaise.
- Vinnegar – Adds a tangy flavor and lightens up the dressing.
- Sweetener – Brings that delicious and perfect sweetness.
Other Easy Recipes You Might Like
Creamy Homemade Coleslaw Salad Recipe
- 3 cups green cabbage
- 2 cups purple cabbage
- 1 cup carrots
- In a large bowl, combine the dressing ingredients.
- Using a mandoline or food processor, thinly shred the cabbage and carrots.
- Add the shredded vegetables to the bowl and toss to combine. Keep refrigerated for at least 1 hours before serving to help the flavors develop.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: