This Homemade Coleslaw is exceptionally creamy, fresh, and crispy. It’s a breeze to make, a family favorite and goes well with almost any main dish.
I’ve always thought that Coleslaw is one of those challenging to make recipes, and that’s because we never made it at home. In fact, it’s one of the easiest recipes, requires just a few ingredients and to ease up your work we suggest getting the pre-shredded cabbage blend bags.
Making Coleslaw at home became our obsession, and for a while, we enjoyed it with almost everything. It’s perfect as a side dish for keto fried chicken, baked crispy chicken tenders or salmon patties. It’s also a great addition to any sandwich.
What are the Ingredients for Coleslaw?
The ingredients for the Coleslaw Salad consist of cabbage, carrots, mayo, vinegar, and a few spices. I love using both purple and green cabbage because I think it looks pretty. It also works fine just with one type of cabbage.
Reduce the quantity of carrots if you are looking for a super low carb coleslaw salad. In fact, carrots are an acceptable vegetable on a ketogenic diet because one cup provides only 7g net carbs. Leaving out the carrots will save you about 2g carbs, so it’s your choice.
Here are all the ingredients you’ll need for coleslaw salad:
- 3 cups green cabbage
- 2 cups purple cabbage
- 1 cup carrots
How to Make Coleslaw
Out of convenience, you can buy the prepared mixes from the store, but it’s so easy to make it at home.
This salad is ready in less than 10 minutes, and here’s everything you need to do:
- Thinly shred the cabbage and the carrots.
- Make the delicious coleslaw dressing by combining all the ingredients.
- Combine the dressing with the shredded cabbage mix and devour.
What’s the Best Dressing for Coleslaw:
After prepping your veggies, it’s time to make this outstanding dressing that’s creamy, tangy with the perfect amount of sweetness. You’ll need just six ingredients to prepare this dressing.
- Mayonnaise – the base of the dressing and makes this salad so creamy and packed with flavors. Choose the highest quality you can find or make it at home. If paleo, I recommend getting my favorite Avocado Oil Mayonnaise.
- Vinnegar – Adds a tangy flavor and lightens up the dressing.
- Sweetener – Brings that delicious and perfect sweetness.
How to Store this Cabbage Salad?
To make coleslaw salad ahead, I recommend combining the ingredients the night before serving. The dressing lasts for about 3 days in the refrigerator.
It’s best to serve leftovers within two days. It will become a soggy mess the more you keep it.
This salad can’t be stored in the freezer because cabbage doesn’t freeze well.
Other Easy Recipes You Might Like
Creamy Homemade Coleslaw Salad Recipe
- In a large bowl, combine the dressing ingredients.
- Using a mandoline or food processor, thinly shred the cabbage and carrots.
- Add the shredded vegetables to the bowl and toss to combine. Keep refrigerated for at least 1 hours before serving to help the flavors develop.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.