Want to enjoy authentic Pollo Asado without leaving home? With this recipe, you can savor the bright flavors of citrus and the bold spices of Mexico in a dish that’s easy to prepare – only 5 minutes of prep required!
If you are looking for a new delicious dinner recipe that’s also easy to make, this one is for you. Not only it’s super easy to prepare, but it also requires simple ingredients that are probably already in your pantry.
Chicken thighs are the best choice when you are looking to prepare a delicious recipe since they are loaded with protein and more affordable than chicken breast.
So make this Pollo Asado recipe for a simple and delicious dinner with your family, or prepare it for meal prep on a busy day.
What’s Pollo Asado?
Technically speaking, Polo Asado means grilled or barbecued chicken, and it’s a Mexican dish consisting of marinated chicken thighs that have been marinated in a red sauce with Mexican spices and citrus juices.
In Spanish, “pollo” means chicken, and “asado” refers to roasting or barbecuing, so “pollo asado” translates to roasted or barbecued chicken.
This dish features intensely flavorful chicken that has been marinated in a mixture of citrus juices, cumin, oregano, paprika, and a key ingredient: achiote powder, which gives the chicken its distinctive orange and red hue.
Why Are You Going To Love This Recipe?
- Super easy to make. A simple dish that requires minimal effort to prepare. All you need to do is marinate the chicken, grill or roast it, and it’s ready to serve.
- Meal Prep. Pollo Asado is a great dish to make ahead of time, as it can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two days. This makes it perfect for busy weeknights or for entertaining guests.
- It’s an extremely versatile recipe. Pollo Asado is a versatile recipe that can be customized to suit your taste preferences. You can adjust the spices and seasoning to make it as mild or as spicy as you like.
- Made from easy-to-find ingredients. Most of the ingredients are readily available in grocery stores, making it a convenient dish to prepare.
- Requires only 5 minutes of prep: With just 5 minutes of prep time, Pollo Asado is a quick and easy dish that you can whip up in no time.
- Loaded with delicious Mexican flavors: The combination of citrus juices, spices, and achiote powder gives Pollo Asado a bold and tangy flavor that’s sure to please your taste buds.
- You can pair it with many side dishes to create a complete meal: Pollo Asado can be served with a variety of side dishes, such as rice, beans, salad, or grilled vegetables, to create a complete and satisfying meal.
To create this homemade Pollo Asado, you will need only a few easy-to-find ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen. Here is a list of everything you will need:
- Chicken Thighs – you will need boneless and skinless chicken thighs.
- Olive Oil – you can use any other vegetable oil you want.
For The Pollo Asado Marinade
- Lime & Orange Juice – use freshly squeezed lime and orange juice to give a citrus flavor to the meat.
- Grapeseed Oil – you can use olive oil if you don’t have any grapeseed oil.
- Salt&Pepper – to taste.
- Garlic – use fresh minced garlic for an intense flavor.
- Oregano – gives a minty and bitter flavor to the chicken thighs.
- Achiote powder
- Cumin – is used to give a hearty and rich flavor.
- Onion Powder
How To Make Pollo Asado?
This is one of the easiest dinner recipes that I have ever tried. Here is everything you need to do to enjoy the best Pollo Asado recipe:
Marinating The Chicken
Start by making the marinade. Add all the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl and whisk until everything is well combined.
Add the chicken thighs to a large bowl and pour the marinade. Mix until each chicken thigh is well coated with the marinade.
Cover the bowl with plastic foil and let the chicken thighs marinate for at least 2 hours.
Cooking The Chicken
Preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat and brush it with olive oil.
Cook the chicken thighs for about 10 minutes on each side and until browned.
Remove from the pan and serve with slices of lime.
Tips For Making The Best Chicken Asado
- Let the pan heat up well before adding the chicken thighs to prevent them from sticking to the pan.
- Marinate your chicken thighs for over 2 hours to obtain a more intense flavor.
- Don’t overcrowd the grill pan; cook the chicken thighs in a single layer with some space between them.
- Don’t overcook the chicken, as it can be dry and tough. To prevent this, cook the chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C). Use a meat thermometer to ensure that it’s perfectly cooked.
- After cooking, let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving. This allows the juices to redistribute throughout the meat, resulting in juicier and more flavorful chicken.
What To Serve With Pollo Asado?
Another great thing about this Mexican Pollo Asado recipe is that it can be paired with many side dishes. Here are some delicious ideas:
- Cauliflower Rice
- Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
- Air Fryer Cauliflower
- Keto Fried Rice
- Zucchini Casserole
How To Store?
- Fridge – you can store this chicken asado in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Freezer – You can also freeze this Pollo Asado in the freezer in an airtight container or a freezer-safe bag for up to 2 months.
Frequently Asked Questions?
Is Pollo Asado Spicy?
You may think this recipe is spicy once you see the photos and the color of the meat. But you will be surprised to find out that it isn’t.
In fact, this Pollo Asado recipe has all the great flavors in moderation, creating an incredibly delicious recipe.
Is Pollo Asado Keto-Friendly?
Sure, this recipe for Pollo Asado is keto since it’s made from naturally low-carb ingredients and has only 5g net carbs per serving. So make this recipe and pair it with your favorite keto-friendly sides to create a delicious keto dinner.
Can I Use Other Cuts Of Chicken?
Sure, you can make this recipe by replacing the chicken thighs with chicken breast or drumsticks.
How Do I Know If The Chicken Thighs Are Cooked?
The best way to check if your chicken thighs are cooked is to insert an instant-read thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken thighs. If the thermometer reads 170°F, then your chicken thighs are cooked.
Can I Make Oven Pollo Asado?
Sure, as I said above, this recipe is super versatile, so you can choose how to cook it. For example, if you don’t have a grilling pan, you can make Pollo Asado in the oven.
To do that, prepare and marinade the chicken thighs as we did in this recipe, then place them on a rack and bake for 25 minutes at 425°F/220 C.
More Chicken Thighs Recipes
- 3 pounds chicken thighs boneless and skinless
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Add all the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl and mix until everything is well combined.
- Add the chicken thighs to a large bowl and pour the marinade. Mix using a silicone spatula until each chicken thigh is well coated with the marinade.
- Cover the bowl with plastic foil and let the chicken thighs marinate for at least 2 hours in the fridge or overnight(for a more intense flavor).
- Preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat and brush it with olive oil.
- Add the chicken thighs and cook them for about 6 minutes on each side until browned.
- Remove them from the pan and garnish with chopped parsley.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: