If you are tired of those same old and simple chicken dinners, this salsa chicken recipe is exactly what you are looking for. Ready in 30 minutes and loaded with a delicious zesty salsa flavor, this chicken recipe is sure to impress.
Just think about a juicy chicken breast smothered in a tangy salsa sauce and baked to perfection that pairs perfectly with so many side dishes to help you create a complete dinner recipe in no time.
This baked salsa chicken recipe is so easy to make that I like to make it in advance and enjoy it anytime I have a busy day. Requires only 5 minutes of prep and a few naturally low-carb ingredients – what else could you ask from a chicken recipe?
What Is Salsa Chicken?
The salsa chicken recipe is a popular Mexican dish made from seasoned chicken breast, smothered in a fresh salsa sauce, then baked until perfection. The chicken is typically seasoned with spices such as cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and salt. The salsa adds flavor and moisture to the chicken, creating a delicious and flavorful dish.
This recipe is usually served with beans, rice, or various vegetables, creating a healthy and satisfying meal.
Why Are You Going To Love This Baked Salsa Chicken
- Super easy to make in under 30 minutes
- It’s a great meal prep option
- Requires only 10 minutes of prep time
- Budget-friendly recipe
- Made from easy-to-find and naturally low-carb ingredients
- It’s a customizable recipe
- It pairs well with many side dishes recipes
- Loaded with delicious zesty salsa flavors
This easy chicken recipe requires only a few naturally low-carb ingredients that are easy to find in almost any store. Here is a list of everything you will need:
- Chicken Breast – boneless skinless chicken breasts are required for this recipe, but you can also use chicken thighs strips. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Paprika – adds color and extra flavor to this dish. You can also use smoked paprika for an intense flavor.
- Cumin – gives this dish a warm, earthy flavor that completes perfectly with the other seasonings.
- Olive Oil – feel free to use any other vegetable oil.
- Onion – you will need one medium onion finely chopped.
- Garlic – fresh minced garlic for an intense, delicious flavor.
- Tomato Salsa – you can buy it from the store or make a homemade tomato salsa.
- Cheddar Cheese – If you don’t have cheddar cheese or white cheddar cheese on hand, you can also use other types of cheese that melt easily, such as Monterey Jack, Mexican blend cheese, or even a mild cheese like mozzarella.
- Salt&Pepper – to taste.
How To Make This Salsa Chicken Recipe
This delicious sugar-free salsa chicken recipe is one of my favorites since it’s super easy to make without needing cooking skills. So, here is the step that you need to follow:
Preparing The Chicken Breast
Place the chicken breast in a bowl, add the salt, paprika, cumin, and pepper, and mix until each chicken breast is coated with seasoning.
Heat the olive oil in a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Then add the seasoned chicken breast and cook for 5 minutes on each side or until golden.
Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover it to keep it warm.
Making The Sauce
Add the onions and garlic to the same pan and cook for 5 minutes until tender and the onion starts to become slightly brown.
Return the chicken to the pan, add the salsa, and mix until each chicken breast is well coated.
Sprinkle with shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese.
Bake The Salsa Chicken
Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the chicken is cooked through.
Garnish with fresh chopped parsley, then enjoy.
Tips and Variations For Making The Best Salsa Chicken Recipe
- Don’t overcrowd the pan while cooking chicken breast. Otherwise, it won’t brown evenly.
- Use fresh ingredients to obtain the best results.
- Add some crumbled crispy bacon over the shredded cheese for extra flavor and a crunchy texture.
- You can use chicken thighs instead of chicken breast. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time.
- Add a pinch of sugar to the sauce to add a little sweetness and balance the flavor while enhancing the salsa flavor.
- You can choose to season the chicken breast with homemade taco seasoning for a more intense Mexican flavor.
- Fridge – You can store these salsa chicken leftovers in an airtight container and the fridge for about 5 days.
- Freezer – You can also store the leftovers in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 months.
If you want to enjoy a complete meal, you can pair this salsa chicken recipe with many side dishes. Here are some great ideas:
- Cauliflower Rice
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower
- Garlic Butter Whole Roasted Cauliflower
- Roasted Vegetables
How Can I Tell When The Chicken Is Done?
Use an instant-read thermometer to check if your chicken breast is cooked. Insert it into the thickest part of the chicken breast, and if it reads 165°F, you will know that your chicken is perfectly cooked.
More Chicken Recipes
- Crispy Chicken Parmesan
- Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
- Italian Chicken Zucchini Skillet
- The BEST Mediterranean Chicken Skillet
- Creamy Tomato Chicken Skillet Dinner
- The BEST Creamy Pesto Chicken Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 375F/190C.
- Season the chicken breast with salt, paprika, cumin, and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the seasoned chicken breast for 5 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover it to keep it warm.
- Add the onions and garlic to the same pan and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the salsa sauce.
- Return the chicken to the pan and mix until the chicken breast is well coated.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.