This creamy pesto chicken is an easy and quick recipe that’s ready in only 30 minutes. Perfect for a quick dinner, this chicken recipe consists of pan-seared chicken breast smothered in a delicious creamy pesto sauce loaded with tons of flavors. And the best part – it’s made in only one pan.
So if you are struggling with a busy day and don’t have much time to make dinner, this recipe is for you. Just imagine a juicy chicken breast covered in a delicious sauce that can be served with your favorite side dishes to create a complete meal.
We are big fans of one-skillet meals, and if you want to try other interesting recipes, then we are sure that you will also love our one-skillet creamy Tuscan chicken, Marry me chicken, and Chicken Florentine.
Why Are You Going To Love This Pesto Chicken Recipe
- Made from easy-to-find and naturally low-carb ingredients.
- It’s a one-skillet recipe, which means fewer dishes to clean.
- You can make it ahead of time.
- Has only 5g net carbs per serving.
- It’s a versatile recipe that can be served with many side dishes.
- It’s a budget-friendly recipe. You don’t need expensive ingredients to prepare it.
For this delicious creamy pesto chicken, you’ll need just a few low-carb ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen. Here is everything you will need:
- Chicken Breast – Opt for boneless, skinless chicken breasts, a lean and versatile protein source. For even cooking and a quicker cooking time, cut the breasts into thinner slices. This also helps the chicken to absorb more flavor from the sauce.
- Salt& Pepper – to taste. You can also add your favorite seasonings, like paprika and onion powder.
- Olive Oil – Feel free to use your favorite type of vegetable oil.
- Garlic – Fresh minced garlic to enhance the flavors.
- Tomatoes – I used cherry tomatoes cut in half.
- Heavy Cream – The foundation of your rich sauce, heavy cream adds a luxurious texture and mouthfeel.
- Pesto – Whether you use store-bought for convenience or homemade for an authentic, fresh taste, pesto adds a unique flavor to the sauce, complementing the creamy richness of the dish.
How To Make Pesto Chicken Recipe
This chicken recipe, coated in a creamy and delicious pesto sauce, is super easy to make in under 35 minutes from start to finish. Here’s everything you have to do:
Prepare The Chicken Breast
Start by slicing each chicken breast lengthwise into two thinner pieces. Season both sides of the chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
Cook The Chicken Breast
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet oven on medium heat. Add the seasoned chicken breast and cook on each side until cooked through and golden brown.
Remove the chicken breast from the skillet and set aside on a plate.
Make The Creamy Pesto Sauce
Heat the remaining olive oil in the same skillet, turning the heat to medium-low. Add the minced garlic and cook for one minute.
Add the grape tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes or until they are softened and tender.
Now, add the heavy cream and pesto and stir until well combined. Bring the sauce to a simmer and adjust the salt and pepper.
Return The Chicken To The Skillet
Add the cooked chicken breast to the skillet and cover with sauce. Let everything simmer for a few minutes.
Turn off the heat and garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
Tips For A Perfect Creamy Pesto Chicken
- Reduce The Cooking Time: If you want to reduce the cooking time, you can cut the chicken breast as thinly as you want.
- Don’t Overcrowd The Pan: Make sure you leave some space between each piece of chicken breast to ensure even cooking and flip them easily.
- Avoid Overcooking: Make sure that you do not overcook the chicken. Otherwise, it will become too dry.
- Allow The Chicken To Come To Room Temperature: To obtain the best texture, remove the chicken breast from the fridge for almost 30 minutes before cooking it. This step will help the chicken to have a juicy and tender texture.
- Fridge – You can store the leftovers of this pesto chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for about 5 days.
- Freezer – You can also store the leftovers in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- Reheating: You can reheat the leftovers in the microwave or on the stovetop, but you’ll need to thin the sauce with a little chicken broth or water.
When I make this recipe, I enjoy it with a slice of my favorite keto bread, but if you want to make a complete meal, you can pair it with many side dishes. Here are some great ideas:
- Cauliflower Rice
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower
- Garlic Butter Whole Roasted Cauliflower
- Roasted Vegetables
- Air Fryer Mushrooms
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Pesto Keto-Friendly?
Sure, pesto sauces are great for a keto diet since they are made from naturally low-carb and keto ingredients. However, if we are talking about those from the store, it is essential to read the labels since some of them may contain ingredients that are high in carbs.
Can I Substitute Chicken Breast?
Sure, you can use any chicken meat you want. For example, I used chicken breasts, but if you want to make this recipe with chicken thighs, go ahead. But you’ll need to know that the cooking time will increase.
Can I Make This Recipe Ahead Of Time?
Sure, you can prepare this chicken recipe in advance and store it in the fridge. To do that, cook the chicken as we did in this recipe, then when you have a busy day, prepare the sauce to add to the chicken and enjoy.
Can I Make This Recipe Dairy-Free?
Sure, you can prepare a dairy-free creamy pesto chicken by replacing the heavy cream with the same amount of canned coconut milk.
More Chicken Recipes
- BEST Garlic Butter Chicken Bites
- Easy Creamy Chicken Florentine
- One-Skillet Creamy Tuscan Chicken
- Salsa Chicken
- Monterey Chicken
- Tex-Mex Chicken And Zucchini
Creamy Pesto Chicken Recipe
- Place your hand flat on top of the chicken breast. Using a sharp knife, slice the chicken breast horizontally (lengthwise) to create two thinner pieces. Repeat with the second chicken breast.
- Season the chicken slices with salt and pepper on both sides. If possible, marinate them in a mixture of 1 tbsp olive oil, half of the minced garlic, salt, and pepper for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat one tbsp of olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sliced chicken pieces and cook until brown on each side (about 5-7 minutes). Remove and set aside on a plate.
- If you're using wine or broth, pour a splash into the skillet now to deglaze, scraping up any browned bits with a spatula.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the skillet, followed by the minced garlic. Sauté for about 1 minute.
- Add the halved cherry tomatoes and cook until they soften.
- Stir in the heavy cream and pesto. Let the mixture come to a simmer.
- Return the chicken to the skillet, covering it with the sauce. Let it simmer for about 3-4 minutes to ensure the chicken is cooked through.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley (and basil if desired).
- Serve hot, optionally over pasta, rice, or with crusty bread.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: