Learn how to make the best roasted cauliflower steak recipe that’s perfectly caramelized on the edges and super cheesy. Ready in less than 30 minutes, this cauliflower recipe is a delicious side dish that pairs perfectly with any of your favorite protein.
Roasted in the oven until tender with deliciously crispy edges and made using only low-carb ingredients, this cheesy cauliflower steak recipe will be loved by your entire family.
One reason why I love cauliflower is its versatility. With various seasonings, it can be enjoyed in many different ways.
So today, we’ve decided to try something new: cheesy cauliflower steak. With a tender interior, crispy edges, and a cheesy layer, this side dish recipe pairs perfectly with many dishes and tastes incredibly delicious.
I’m not going to like, this cauliflower steak recipe doesn’t taste the same as sirloin steak, but it’s a delicious vegetarian meal idea that’s loaded with tons of flavor.
It’s fantastic that you can make roasted cauliflower steaks or grilled cauliflower steaks for even more flavor and
Why Are You Going To Love This Cauliflower Steak Recipe
- You can make it ahead of time.
- Super easy to make in such a short time.
- It’s a versatile recipe.
- It’s an interesting way to include more vegetables into your diet.
- It pairs perfectly with many main dishes.
- It’s a customizable recipe.
- Made from easy-to-find ingredients.
What Is Cauliflower Steak?
Cauliflower steak is a vegetarian or vegan version of meat steak recipes consisting of thick cauliflower slices that are seasoned, roasted, pan-fried, or grilled until tender and crispy on the edges.
I love serving cauliflower steak as a main dish, often accompanied by other vegetables, protein, or a dipping sauce.
It is a popular alternative to meat-based steaks, as it is a nutritious and flavorful option for those who follow a plant-based diet or are looking to reduce their meat intake.
You will need only a few easy-to-find ingredients to create this delicious cauliflower recipe. Here is a list of everything you will need:
- Cauliflower – you will need a medium-sized cauliflower head with no blemishes or brown patches. If you’re using a larger cauliflower, just increase the amount of olive oil and seasonings. A medium cauliflower head makes about 2 thick “steaks”.
- Shredded Mozzarella – you can easily replace it with your favorite type of cheese.
- Olive Oil – any other vegetable oil will also work.
- Garlic Powder – you can also use fresh minced garlic for an intense flavor.
- Paprika – I used smoked paprika for intense color and flavor as well.
- Salt&Pepper – to taste. You can also season this cauliflower steak with your favorite seasoning mixture.
How To Make Cauliflower Steak?
If you follow these easy next steps, you will end up with a perfectly roasted cheesy cauliflower steak that is deliciously eaten simply as it is, or it can be paired with so many other dishes.
Preheat the Oven
Start by preheating the oven to 420F/210C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
How To Cut Cauliflower Steak
Use a sharp knife to carefully cut off all of the green leaves and level the white stalk at the bottom of the head of the cauliflower.
Then cut the cauliflower into 3/4-inch thick slices and place them on the baking sheet. You’ll end up with 2-3 slices depending on the size of your cauliflower.
Cauliflower Steak Seasoning
Add the olive oil, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to a bowl and whisk until well combined.
Brush the cauliflower steaks with the olive oil mixture on both sides using a pastry brush.
Roasting Cauliflower Steak
Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes minutes until golden brown, then top with mozzarella. Bake for 5 more minutes until the cheese is melted. Cauliflower steaks are ready when fork tender.
Flip them halfway through cooking time to ensure even cooking.
Remove from the oven, garnish with fresh chopped parsley, and enjoy!!
- Parmesan Cauliflower Steak – Replace the mozzarella cheese with freshly shredded parmesan cheese.
- Serve with chimichurri sauce made with fresh parsley, garlic, red wine vinegar, and red pepper flakes.
- Top the cauliflower steaks with crumbled bacon for a crunchy texture and extra flavor.
- Spicy Cauliflower Steak – Add one tsp of red pepper chili flakes to the olive oil mixture for a spicy cauliflower steak.
- Pizza Cauliflower Steak – Top each pizza steak with your favorite pizza sauce or marinara sauce, then sprinkle mozzarella and add pepperoni slices.
- BBQ Cauliflower Steaks – Brush generously with homemade BBQ sauce twice during the baking time.
- Fridge: Store this cauliflower steak in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Freezer: You can also freeze these cauliflower steaks. Place them on a cookie sheet and freeze for about 20 minutes. After that, transfer them to a plastic bag and freeze them for up to 3 months.
- Reheating: Place leftovers in a pan over medium heat and warm for a few minutes on each side.
What to Serve with Cauliflower Steak?
As I said at the beginning, this cheesy cauliflower steak recipe is versatile and can be served as a main course or a side dish. Here are some great ideas:
- Oven Baked Salmon
- Garlic Butter Shrimp
- Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Bruschetta Chicken
- Garlic Mushroom Chicken
- Keto Meatloaf
Frequently Asked Questions
What does Cauliflower Steak Taste Like?
It tastes mild, nutty, and slightly sweet, just like regular roasted cauliflower, but in a different presentation.
Can I Make Grilled Cauliflower Steak?
Sure, prepare and season the cauliflower steaks as we did in this recipe, then place them on the grill, close the lid, and cook for 5 minutes. Flip, top with shredded cheese, cover, and cook for 4-5 more minutes.
Is Cauliflower Keto?
Sure, cauliflower is great for a keto diet and is used to replace meals high in carbohydrates like rice and potatoes. Since it’s low in carbohydrates, cauliflower is a great substitute for starchy foods.
More Cauliflower Recipes
- The Best Loaded Cauliflower Bake with Cheddar and Bacon
- 2 Ingredient Cauliflower Rice Recipe
- Roasted Broccoli And Cauliflower
- Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower
Cheesy Cauliflower Steak
- Preheat the oven to 420F/210C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut off all of the green leaves and the white stalk at the bottom of the head of the cauliflower.
- Cut the cauliflower into 3/4-inch thick slices and place them on the baking sheet.
- Mix the olive oil, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Brush the cauliflower steaks with the mixture on both sides. Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, top each cauliflower steak with shredded mozzarella and bake ifor 5 -10 more minutes or until the cheese is melted and the cauliflower is fork tender.
- Remove from the oven, garnish with fresh chopped parsley, and enjoy!!
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: